It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: MI6 Ordered LSD tests On UK Servicemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
After many years of denial, the UK Ministry of Defence have finally admitted that '___' experiments were conducted on UK Servicemen at Porton Down during the mid 1950s. These are a completely separate series of '___' experiments to those done at Porton Down 10 years later. Surprisingly, the MOD have confirmed that the experiments were conducted on behalf of the UK Secret Intelligence Service (commonly known as MI6) in order to investigate whether '___' could be used as an interrogation technique. This new admission came in response to a Freedom of Information request made by one of the experimentees. Lawyers for the experimentees are now making formal FOI requests to MI6 for the release of all documents relating to these experiments.

www.guardian.co.uk
In 1949, a Hungarian dissident had also "confessed" robotically in a show trial without, it seemed, being in control of himself.

In parallel experiments, the CIA infamously tested '___' and other drugs on unwitting human subjects in a 20-year search to uncover mind-manipulation techniques. The trials were widely criticized when they came to light in the 1970s.

Mr Gow and another man say that while serving in the military they volunteered to take part in research. They were told to go to the Porton Down chemical warfare establishment in Wiltshire, where servicemen were regularly tested in experiments.

Mr Gow, then a radio operator in the Royal Navy, says that scientists gave him the liquid to drink in 1954, a decade before the effects of '___' were popularized by hippies.

Soon he could not add up three figures. The radiator started to go in and out "like a squeezebox", while shoe marks on the floor spun like a catherine wheel. He says he still seemed to be tripping that evening, when he and a colleague went dancing in nearby Salisbury, with wellies on. "I don't think we got a date that night," he said yesterday.

He added that the scientists had been "irresponsible", particularly as they had not kept the men under close supervision. Now a magistrate, he submitted an open government request to the Ministry of Defence seeking more details of the experiments.

The MoD replied that "much of the information concerning '___' involves research conducted at the behest of the Secret Intelligence Service ... We are more than happy to speak to them [SIS] on your behalf and will pursue the question of downgrading the security classification of certain documents to allow us to disclose them to you".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is quite a surprising admission from the Ministry of Defence. For the last 10-15 years they have constantly refused to comment on the early Porton Down (1950s) '___' experiments. Researchers have always suspected that Porton Down had carried out similar '___' interrogation investigations as to those conducted by the CIA, but the MOD have always refused to comment.

These disclosures indicates that the new UK Freedom of Information Act might be more effective than was thought. It is now up to the SIS to show they too are willing to shine a light on some of their more dubious former activities.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 22-1-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

Odd

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
There is a very interesting video of the tests being carried out... I believe it was shot in the 1940s.

It is available all over the Net-- just Google for the file "'___' being tested on British troops.mpg"-- and it's worth watching.

Here's a link, but there are many others available: www.chaosunlimited.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Zero lift calls MI6's use of '___' on unsuspecting servicemen

dubious former activities

[previous post retracted]

I have watched the mpeg movie at the link provided by Odd. As a result, I take back my scathing condemnation. I still hold that a country's military servicemen should not be used as Guinea pigs for any kind of experimentation at the hands of their superiors. They are vulnerable to doing anything they are told to do and too trusting of the "good intentions" of their superiors.

The '___' experiment shown on the video shows the men unable to engage in logistical maneuvers, aim weapons, or engage in aggressive military behavior. Rather they are seen disoriented, laughing uncontrollably, and with one man climbing a tree to feed the birds. Maybe all soldiers should have a daily hit of '___' so they can see through to the absurdity of their leaders' agendas.

[edit on 1/22/2005 by dubiousone]

[edit on 1/22/2005 by dubiousone]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I thought this was old news as I have seen a TV program on it twice. Or was the program I saw about the US militarys tests using '___'?

I cannot remember.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I think we better clear up some confusion as to when these newly admitted UK '___' experiments took place.

Odd wrote

There is a very interesting video of the tests being carried out... I believe it was shot in the 1940s.

and Kris_4 wrote

I thought this was old news as I have seen a TV program on it twice. Or was the program I saw about the US militarys tests using '___'?

Let me make this clear- this new admission by the UK Ministry of Defence refers to new disclosures about a series of experiments carried out in the early-mid fifties by Porton Down scientists on behalf of the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS/MI6).

The commonly available video showing the effects of '___' on British soldiers was of a film taken by Porton Down in the mid- sixties. This film detailed part of a series of experiments carried out to determine whether '___' could be used as a battlefield incapacitant. These experiments were named Operation MONEYBAGS-LOOSE CHANGE-RECOUNT. All codenames have references to the old UK money pounds (£), shillings (S) and pence (D)
This is an example of what passes for humour at Porton Down.

No television programmes have been made about the newly admitted series of experiments which investigated the use of '___' as an aid to interrogation

One more time- video=1960s...new MOD admission= 1950s

And dubiousone...I concur..you're absolutely right- it was an atrocity.

zero lift

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
zero lift, thanks for fleshing that out. I didn't know about that.

I strongly object to any use of servicemen for experimentation. It is a blatant violation of the trust of the young men and women who sign up for military service whether voluntarily or under a draft.

Those in the military who subject their fellows to experiments should be prosecuted and imprisoned for crimes against humanity. It should be no defense that their captive subjects "agreed" and did not refuse or protest. Military service members are especially vulnerable to abuse and manipulation by their superiors. After all, they are trained and conditioned like Pavlovian dogs to do what their superiors dictate.

Of course, the U.S. has done the same and worse to its servicemen and women, including '___' experimentation, exposure to nuclear blasts to test the effects of radiation on human beings, and worse.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Thanks Zero Lift. I knew I had seen some footage on this topic. I have to say that testing without knowledge of being tested on is downright appaling.

top topics

join