It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Clinton says she can maybe 'talk to white people' about police shootings.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

right, and was he standing still as ordered, or did he walk back to the door of his vehicle?
you can't just omit the inconvenient facts because it doesn't help your narrative.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Sounds like both sides are trying to manipulate the situation for their own narrative benefit, as apparently both sides are lying by omission.

One is refusing to acknowledge him ignoring orders to go back to his car, and the other that he dropped his hands due to being tasered.
edit on 9/21/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Until all the facts are out, we just don't know who is really at fault, but to adjust the facts to fit a specific narrative is idiotic and wrong. I think by now, everyone realizes that there is a problem. But to attribute that to every altercation between police and a black man is just as dumb. Sometimes, people do stupid things and provoke this kind of incident. And sometimes, cops are racist and looking for a way to shoot a black person. Although I find the second a very rare occurrence.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

right, and was he standing still as ordered, or did he walk back to the door of his vehicle?
you can't just omit the inconvenient facts because it doesn't help your narrative.

His window was rolled up.
The door was shut.
And he stood up against the door too close to potentially open it ...with his hands on his head.

There was no threat that he was going to reach inside for anything.

He was shot with the tazer while in that position.

Then immediately (less than a second) shot and killed when his hands dropped in reaction to the tazer.

Those are the acknowledged facts and what multiple videos show.

If we can take a terrorist alive during a gun fight in the streets of New Jersey, we can certainly avoid killing a father of four, college student, that sings weekly in his church choir for standing beside his stalled car with his hands in the air.

I find it shocking that you think this excusable.
edit on 21-9-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

When he was shot his hands were not up i saw that myself on the video. cant have your hands up while reaching for a door above your head. his arms were horizontal facing.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Whilst pandering to a black interviewer, Hillary Clinton says she is going to tackle shootings of black people by law enforcement by speaking to 'white people'.

So wrong on many levels.

Lets not forget Hillary can also talk to Eleanor Roosevelt.... not just white people.

So wrong on many levels.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

His window was rolled up.
The door was shut.
And he stood up against the door too close to potentially open it ...with his hands on his head.

There was no threat that he was going to reach inside for anything.

He was shot with the tazer while in that position.

Then immediately (less than a second) shot and killed when his hands dropped in reaction to the tazer.

Those are the acknowledged facts and what multiple videos show.

If we can take a terrorist alive during a gun fight in the streets of New Jersey, we can certainly avoid killing a father of four, college student, that sings weekly in his church choir for standing beside his stalled car with his hands in the air.

I find it shocking that you think this excusable.

first off, no points for reading comprehension, epic fail on that front.
Secondly, you seem to not be able to answer the really, really, simple question. Was he stationary as he was ordered, or did he walk towards his vehicle door?

(I assure you it's kind of an important detail you seem to keep missing)

Now, as a mental exercise, I encourage you to find where I said this was justified. Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I actually agree with Clinton. We do need to talk to white people about this issue.

It's white people that have been purposefully trying to de-legitimize the concerns of the black communities when it comes to interaction with law enforcement.

When those communities say "black lives matter", others respond with "all lives matter". Which is true, but it distracts and conflates the issue, when they have a right to have their grievances heard.

Why aren't we engaging in that conversation? Why are we dismissing their concerns and telling them that it's their own damn fault? What productive will come of that?

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

are you white?

If so, what words could be said to you that might fix the problems BLM is facing?

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

are you white?

If so, what words could be said to you that might fix the problems BLM is facing?

Well, it's not BLM that has a problem. It's the black communities that believe there is a problem and want their grievances to be heard.

It appears to be white people, in general, that stick their fingers in their ears and don't want to engage in the conversation because it may require admitting there is an uncomfortable problem that needs addressing.

We need to have a collective smack across the face to occur so that we can begin the conversation.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
I actually agree with Clinton. We do need to talk to white people about this issue.

It's white people that have been purposefully trying to de-legitimize the concerns of the black communities when it comes to interaction with law enforcement.

When those communities say "black lives matter", others respond with "all lives matter". Which is true, but it distracts and conflates the issue, when they have a right to have their grievances heard.

Why aren't we engaging in that conversation? Why are we dismissing their concerns and telling them that it's their own damn fault? What productive will come of that?

Firstly, it is not just white people who are against BLM and it's not just white people who recognize that police shootings of African Americans is not the major issue the African American community faces.

Secondly, It's not just black people who support BLM's position on police violence and their proposals for change.

So how does talking to white people help?

Surely the conversations should be between the police and the community, arbitrated by a select committee.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Firstly, it is not just white people who are against BLM and it's not just white people who recognize that police shootings of African Americans is not the major issue the African American community faces.

Secondly, It's not just black people who support BLM's position on police violence and their proposals for change.

BLM is not the real issue here. I used the "all lives matter/black lives matter" as an example of how we purposfully attemt to distract attention from their grievances.

Of course it's not all white people or black people on one side of the issue, but in general it appears that white people are the one's deflecting and distracting on the issue.

It helps them understand that a discussion needs to take place, nationally and locally, and it's time to quit closing our eyes and ears to a very important issue.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

People have been trying to talk about police corruption, and corruption in the legal system for a long time. A large chunk of people, like myself believe our legal system needs to be cleaned up quite a bit. We also believe cops need better training, and to learn more restraint and to be willing to accept a bit more risk before jumping to the most lethal tool in their arsenal.

All of this is better fixed by focusing on the problem, which is corruption, it's a broken legal system, poor training, poor standards and terrible hiring practice. If we tackle these problems, fix them and force our legal system to once again be held to standards and take responsibility for itself, hold itself to the laws and standards of our country and constitution. Of which non discrimination is a major part of it. It's should help settle and take care of the problem between blacks and cops on the police side of the equation.

Attacking this as a race issue is not only the wrong way to go about it, but potentially the more dangerous way to handle it as it places emphasis on the wrong issues, but creates a divide unnecessarily along racial lines for no good reason. Well not a good one for actually solving it.

Here's the thing corruption benefits a lot of people. The elite do not want a non corrupt system, the people in power do not want a non corrupt system. This corruption benefits them, it protects them. The same corruption creating these issues are the same corruptions allowing those in power to skirt the law themselves. Therefore it benefits them to push us to fight it the wrong way and target the wrong problems. Continually fighting the symptoms of corruption in a never ending battle.

The worst part is, if one really thinks about, getting us to fight it along a racial lines may be a very devious ploy to make life worse for everyone, especially those in the poorest black neighborhoods where crime is through the roof with people killing each other. There's already issues with crime in these neighborhoods, what's the outcome of further neutering the police when it comes to fighting crime in these neighborhoods or outside them? They get even worse, and when they spill out of those neighborhoods they're still neutered when trying to interact with criminals with black skin. This creates more crime and encourages more racial division. It makes it so places like Chicago already lacking any real kind of police force worth a damn have even less of one. What policies are we hoping to enact along racial lines that will fix this actual problem? How can we racially solve this issue?

It's a matter of police corruption and a corruption of our justice system, it's a broken system, where things aren't working as they should, and laws and standards aren't being held and the constitution has practically been thrown out the window. It's along these lines this needs to be fought. It's a corruption of government issue, NOT a black vs. white issue.

They are encouraging it being fought along racial lines because it benefits the corrupt broken system to do, and helps keep us divided from actually fixing and recognizing the real problem at it's core.

This corrupt legal system affects all of us, black, white or polka dot. Making it a black issue disingenuous and a distraction from the real problem. It is not and should not be a matter of black anything, we already have laws in the books making that illegal, they already should be protected by the law. It's a corruption issue, period, it's a matter of people in power feeling they can and being allowed to use the law to suit their own purposes. People aren't the only ones being targeted by this corruption. It affects all of us in many sick twisted and subversive ways.

I want to solve this problem. BLM is the wrong way to do it, and that's the entire reason it's being pushed so hard by the media and taking center stage. Remember who owns the media these days, it's not we the people.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

BLM is not the real issue here. I used the "all lives matter/black lives matter" as an example of how we purposfully attemt to distract attention from their grievances.

Of course it's not all white people or black people on one side of the issue, but in general it appears that white people are the one's deflecting and distracting on the issue.

It helps them understand that a discussion needs to take place, nationally and locally, and it's time to quit closing our eyes and ears to a very important issue.

I think it is dangerous to generalize...

Here is the kind of response that is needed by all. Honest, balanced and non divisive.

When people start following Donald Trump's lead on this then real dialogue can begin. At the moment we have both 'sides' firing monologues at each other and Clinton is guilty of dividing the issue by race. I have little doubt that the vast majority of white people are appalled at what happened in Tulsa and other situations like it, just like Trump.
edit on 21/9/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Attacking this as a race issue is not only the wrong way to go about it, but potentially the more dangerous way to handle it as it places emphasis on the wrong issues, but creates a divide unnecessarily along racial lines for no good reason. Well not a good one for actually solving it.

What if there is a race element involved? You cannot fix a problem if you don't first recognize that there is one.

There's already issues with crime in these neighborhoods, what's the outcome of further neutering the police when it comes to fighting crime in these neighborhoods or outside them

I did not say we need to neuter the police. I said that a conversation needs to begin, without a portion of the people at the table refusing to engage in it.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

The laws are already in place that make prejudice based on race illegal. We can't really settle this by adding laws. We fix this by enforcing the laws. Police corruption is rampant they feel the laws don't apply to them. Force them to follow the laws we have in place corrects not only this but a whole host of other issues as well. It's not ignoring the problem, it's recognizing it's one symptom of a far greater problem.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

When people start following Donald Trump's lead on this then real dialogue can begin.

Honestly, I can't watch videos at this moment and I'd like to have your opinion on the issue, not a Trump fanboy endorsement.

Trump and his cult followers are a good example of those that need a smack across the face to get them to wake the hell up.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

The laws are already in place that make prejudice based on race illegal. We can't really settle this by adding laws. We fix this by enforcing the laws. Police corruption is rampant they feel the laws don't apply to them. Force them to follow the laws we have in place corrects not only this but a whole host of other issues as well. It's not ignoring the problem, it's recognizing it's one symptom of a far greater problem.

I didn't say anything about adding laws.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

When people start following Donald Trump's lead on this then real dialogue can begin.

Honestly, I can't watch videos at this moment and I'd like to have your opinion on the issue, not a Trump fanboy endorsement.

Trump and his cult followers are a good example of those that need a smack across the face to get them to wake the hell up.

Trump just nailed the exact response required, like no other politician or activist ever has.
When you can watch the video, do so. It might wake you the hell up.

It's simple, logical and non divisive.

edit on 21/9/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

As for people not being willing to engage in it I disagree. On one side we have people saying it's about prejudice against blacks. On the other side we have people saying that it's a bigger issue that affects all of us. Then the other side "no it's an issue that affects blacks" then the other side "no it's an issue that affects all of us." then the other side "You're ignoring us." then the other side "No we want to to work together and discuss the bigger issue." "White people don't get it, black lives matter." other side "Of course they matter all lives matter, is why we need to deal with this together as one people." other side "No you don't get it, it's about blacks..." other side sighs throws up arms and walks away, "They don't want to work with us, it's just about them. We're never gonna win focusing on the symptom rather than the problem, but heaven forbid we unite as one people, it's all about race."

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join