It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is there a taboo against discussing the meaning of short stories?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I've been reading the short story forum fairly regularly for a few months. Only once during that time have I seen an in-depth discussion of the meaning of one of the stories, and that occurred in the following thread.

Even Darth Vader Had a Good Side

I may have missed such discussions if they occurred; I miss a lot of the threads. I have a theory as to why the meaning of short stories is almost never discussed (at least in my experience). If you look closely, in many threads a poster posts a story, and only their friends comment. I believe their friends don't ask about the meaning of the story because they already know what it's about. That has happened to me a couple of times.

It's a weird feeling when you know if you ask a particular question about a story it can't be answered on the forum because it will be too personal. As to why strangers don't ask about the meaning of short stories, I have no idea. Is it apathy? Is it boredom? Is there a feeling that it's impolite to ask?

I think it's unfortunate that the meaning of short stories is almost never discussed. The stories seem to have a deep meaning a lot of times, but the meaning is usually never mentioned.
edit on 20-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I think the short story forum was once good, and there was a healthy reaction and discussion on the the stories.

Lately though, the short story forum is being spammed by a group of people, and it's cut down to poems.

I'm not interested in poems, therefore i'm not there to comment, i think that is part of the problem and i'm not alone.

The content and quality has really taken a downer.
edit on 20-9-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Yeah, I quit reading it myself. Every. Friggin. Day. and sometimes several times a day, there are poems posted by a very few and usually the same damn subject. It's an open forum and members have the right to post as much as they like, but it's ruined the forum and many don't bother with it anymore. Those who actually have good stories are being ignored, because some have to make a thread out of every damn thought that passes through their head.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have to admit im mostly on here for the conspiracies and news, i usually skip the short stories and poems, I'll try to visit them more often but not knowing much about wordsmithing im not sure what i can add to the discussion, If it is a deep discussion you are seeking would it not be better to post the stories on a dedicated website as well as on ATS?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Looks like someone struck a nerve, lol.

Anything that can be spoken entirely in a single breath is not considered a short story in my book.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I'll agree with most of the criticism. The problem is that short stories and poetry submissions are largely about vanity and not about sharing news, insights or even rants.

'Truth to be known, to put a short story or poem on ATS is asking to be savaged or ignored.

edit on 20-9-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I may be in the minority here, but I don't come to ATS to read short stories. If I wanted to read short stories, I'd go to some writing forum and read what's posted there. I don't understand at all why ATS has a short story board, besides the fact that many people feel their stories need to be shared here.

So maybe people don't really ask what a story means because maybe not many people actually read them?? I could be wrong but like I said, I don't come to ATS for short stories, so maybe not many other people do as well??

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I would be honored if you read my short stories and gleaned some meaning from them. I usually write for the contests. Feel free to share your thoughts, if you so desire. There are a couple listed in my signature or you can find them on my profile page.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Profusion

I write a lot of poems..usually I just write and post and then let them go ...I don't want them to be bothersome to anyone. Very sorry if I offended anyone with them..honestly, it is just a creative outlet for me to get in "writing" mode and I did not mean to offend people with posting them. Had I realized this was a problem, I would've posted them elsewhere.

I don't expect any comments and sometimes I do respond to the ones I get..but I very much try not to be an intrusion. Even going as far to post them in off hours when I can. (when there is minimal members online)

Again, my apologies if I upset anyone...

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 20-9-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

You have every right to post what you like.

No worries.

You write because you are a writer. Need there be another reason?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think it's not about it being a taboo, but maybe people don't feel the need to. I was thinking about something similar just yesterday. It occurred to me, while finishing the lyrics to a new song, that most people wouldn't guess in a million years what that was about. They could have half a dozen other interpretations to it, it could have a completely different meaning to them. Maybe people just read the short stories, attribute their own meaning to it, and move on, no questions asked.
Also, I honestly think what sparked some kind of discussion in your thread was the sole mentioning of the name Darth Vader.
edit on 20/9/2016 by Raven_Heart because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/9/2016 by Raven_Heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Although I won't give a name, it was definitely NOT you I had in mind.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Ummm...Hear here...

I totally second your opinion...Although I don't write anything there much anymore...

I also enjoy your writing...Your very good...

If these people don't like it...too effing bad...I tried to drum up support for a poetry forum...all I got was grief over that as well...
You just can't please some people...so I don't try...

Anyhow...pay no attention to the whiners...haters are gonna hate...whiners are gonna whine...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
Profusion
I write a lot of poems..usually I just write and post and then let them go ...I don't want them to be bothersome to anyone. Very sorry if I offended anyone with them..honestly, it is just a creative outlet for me to get in "writing" mode and I did not mean to offend people with posting them. Had I realized this was a problem, I would've posted them elsewhere.
I don't expect any comments and sometimes I do respond to the ones I get..but I very much try not to be an intrusion. Even going as far to post them in off hours when I can. (when there is minimal members online)
Thanks,
blend57

As you know I personally look forward to your words when you post.
I can't imagine anyone's short stories or poems offending anyone else as we are able to just not read them.

It is a nice break, for me, from reading the heavy and often volatile political threads etc that sometimes fill the board.
I find it interesting to read the musings or creative ideas of members who one may read posts on other threads by and then read a story or poem or whatever and it can sometimes change my whole perspective or thoughts about that person.

I would like to think that there's room for everyone here and just like the food, music, and relationship forums, for examples, that there is a place for people to express themselves and share a little of their psyche.

Thank you Blend and all writers, please don't stop sharing your thoughts and ideas.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

As to why strangers don't ask about the meaning of short stories, I have no idea. Is it apathy? Is it boredom? Is there a feeling that it's impolite to ask?

Because in the last weeks if not months, there are several members that post every day, several threads. I´ve been looking into the forum now and then in the past but now I just don´t care. It´s overblown and it´s quantity instead of quality. In fact, I get bored if I even see the symbol in the "new topics" section, it´s like waking up and you see it´s raining. Everyday.

That´s how I see it, and if I have nothing good to say about a poem/story, I rather post nothing.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
Profusion

Thanks,
blend57

Don't you ever apologize for your contributions again.
Nor should anyone else. Like any other topic..skip it if you don't like it. On topic...it's only taboo if the author is not willing to disclose. But of course, you don't know unless you ask. There did used to be much more story discussion than there is now...but then again,perhaps more were actually interested in the stories themselves.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Art is a personal experience, both for the artist and the viewers of such art.

When i go to Gallery Walks, I don't always get involved in a expansive analysis of something unless I am directly asked my opinion and interpretation of said piece. Be it a painting, sculpture, short story or poem, it's just for most, I would suspect, maintaining silence while perusing inward contemplation is the most respectful thing to do.

Of course, some works speak to me on a level that causes such overflowing that I cannot quit gushing over it's insights and application. I tend not to be disingenuous, but I will admit I have not been as vocally encouraging as I don't always have the time to indulge in every short story submission.

I hope our resident authors don't think me a cad for not addressing each submission to it's fullest, the fact alone that one has taken the time to craft and create something to share with the wider audience is always something I hold in the highest respect, regardless of the artists invocation, it will forever remain a kind and personal insight into our fellow ATS'ers.

Keep writing ya'll!
Right on!

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Wow

Didn't realize so many were against poems. I just contributed one myself mid morning, My first poem in many years. If people find it offense, please don't bother reading it.

I felt inspired to write though.
Seemed like a great place to post it.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69
I think no one here is "against" poems. The recent threads from the group of members there speak for themselves, and what is there much to be written except padding each others head "nice poem!". Real criticue is not applicable to "art" and I guess if someone would post something negative, the sentence "but you don´t have to partake in this thread if you don´t like the content" will appear.

It´s pointless for me, so I will rather give out a star and a flag for the work, if I like it. I don´t like it, that´s what happened often enough the last weeks, I just leave.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Fair enough verschickter

You've been around long enough to know that I too wade in and critique threads on various forums, Doing so, take lots of fire.
It's part of the ATS experience.

Critique away.

Rarely do people hold back on what I often post anyways so....
There's that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join