It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Drag queen wears clothes coated in HIV blood to festival.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: reldra

Doctors dont have magic wands to make things non infectious.

Only way to be sure is if they followed proper sterilisation procedures.
Ie autoclaved it.

NO, the virus dies after so many hours and dried.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

That all you got?

Really?

Blood needs to be handled with care at all times.

Bodily fluids are to be disposed of correctly.

There no lab i know that will train you to take blood and coat it on a tiara for a protest.

And yes I would autoclave the dammed thing.

Anything thats contacted bodily fluids gets sterlized in my world. No exceptions.
edit on 20-9-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

That all you got?

Really?

Blood needs to be handled with care at all times.

Bodily fluids are to be disposed of correctly.

There no lab i know that will train you to take blood and coat it on a tiara for a protest.

Apparently there is a doctor that will. Who knows the virus is dead. You are not a doctor.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

No I am a microbiologist.

In my world, anything that contacts bodily waste gets autoclaved.
No exceptions.

Blood stays in the body or the lab.

And you can find a doctor to do anything these days.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

AND that doesn't change my position of not touching it....I don't get paid, or gain anything, for risking anything....specifically things I choose not to risk..for no reason...

yeah lots of ..........and commas
edit on 9/20/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

An Irish drag queen used her local Pride celebrations last week as an opportunity to make a powerful and innovative statement about HIV stigma within the queer community.

if theres still a stigma about HIV in the gay community, reconstructing carrie is hardly the way to educate people.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
crazyewok

Reading up on this, it says that there has been never been transmissions related to contact with spilled or dried blood. However, it has been found that HIV can/does have the potential to remain in dried blood for 5-6 days after it has been dried.

HIV may survive in dried blood at room temperature for up to five or six days provided that the optimum pH level is maintained; drying of blood does not seem to affect the infectivity of HIV.2

Levels of virus remain relatively stable in blood at room temperature, and HIV may persist for at least a week in dried blood at 4°C. Blood containing HIV used for laboratory experiments is stored at –70°C without any loss of viral activity.1 2 more

I'm sure/I would hope that all parties involved had taken this into consideration when preparing the Tiara. But...what if he didn't? I dunno..just the risk..any risk..of harming another would prevent me from ever doing such an act.

Kind of mixed feelings on this one...I understand why she did as she did..but I also understand why many people would be opposed to it..

Thanks,
blend57

Sidenote: it says in the article as well that Vangardist, an Austrian magazine, mixed HIV+ blood with ink and printed copies of their online magazine in a special HIVHeroes edition, which was her inspiration. So..she is not the first and will this become more of a thing to do to show awareness? Vangardist

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rapha
Maybe in 28 days, idiots will be walking around covered in a zombie contagion.

You have to cover yourself in zombie blood to be able to walk safely with the dead, doesn't anybody watch The Walking Dead?!?!

Plus I don't think she was taking the tiara and chasing people around with it saying, "You have cooties now!" She was the only one taking the "risk", last I had heard HIV wasn't airborne. She was probably trying to equate her HIV tiara with an HIV hosts body. You can still be friends with someone with HIV or work in the same office. The vitriol in this thread is exactly why she was doing it!

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

An Irish drag queen used her local Pride celebrations last week as an opportunity to make a powerful and innovative statement about HIV stigma within the queer community.

So what she does is considered a statement, yet when I do my elephant impression in the high street it's considered 'indecent exposure' with a charge of second degree nudie-groovin'.

Something's wrong with the world, people....

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Thats the thing. It probably was "safe".

But you always handle blood with care regardless.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: bonsaihorn

Vitrol is directed at the mishandling of bodily fluids.

Blood belongs in only two places, a lab or preferably in your body.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Antipathy17

a reply to: crazyewok

It was coated on her tiara only and was dry. 0 percent chance of infection unless soneone took the tiara and scratched it on their body until they were bleeding or rubbed it all over mucous membranes.

I make no point on what this person did was right/wrong. With that said, a simple lean at the wrong time and that tiara could have punctured someones skin. I don't want anyone with purposely placed blood on them, near me. It's gross and still leaves a chance of touching.

The virus was dead by the time she put it on. A doctor oversaw this.

She?? What about this person who IS a man biologically designates him as a woman other than the drag wear? AND!! the irresponsible use of contagious bodily fluids denotes mental stability in your opinion??? This person should be "championed" and supported for this disgusting and potentially dangerous demonstration/protest BS!!!??

Sometimes your liberal leanings leave a lot of us members here bewildered to say the least.

You really need to carefully choose your endorsements.
edit on E30America/ChicagoTue, 20 Sep 2016 06:48:41 -05009amTuesdayth06am by EternalShadow because: add

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
good thing the virus can't survive for more than a minute outside a host.. The blood was probably harmless, but still gross.
And who ever this guy/woman is, is really really really (and I can't stress this enough) really messed up.

I would label them a danger to society based off this one little stunt.
Get this person to a psychiatrist, stat!

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

There is no possible way that it can be said to be "safe" with 100% certainty.

I have enough lab training to know that, even if it's not to the level of our insane ewok...

That was incredibly stupid, and could possibly have been extraordinarily dangerous.

What an idiot.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

a reply to: bonsaihorn

Vitrol is directed at the mishandling of bodily fluids.

Blood belongs in only two places, a lab or preferably in your body.

Guess you better go after this guy!

To be honest, I'm more afraid of poop than a little dried blood.

The poop lying around San Francisco streets has definitely become the stuff of notorious legends. This isn't even the first San Francisco poop map, or the second, sadly enough. The San Francisco poop map appears to be becoming a bit of a genre unto itself, dating back to Jennifer Wong's (Human) Wasteland Map of 2014. And it's all inspired by a very real problem, to be sure. The tech boom has meant more transplants to San Francisco, many of whom were previously less-than-fully acquainted with the city's distinct characteristics, such as the poop. Discussion online has proliferated about "the sh***y city" and why the Superbowl in 2016 will create a local "poop-ocalypse" due to extra visitors and displacement of homeless populations for the festivities. Allegedly, there was even enough poop in some San Francisco subway escalators to break its machinery a few years ago.
San Francisco Poop Map Article

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Blood is repulsive, (this is a personal opinion) infected or not. I wouldn't care for someone to have a costume on like that around me, but I'm also not controller of all people. *shrug* since the virus supposedly died, so not too big of a deal outside of the gross factor.

Do I think there were other more fabulous, less gross ways, of getting awareness? Sure. But what's done is done and she got attention.

-Alee
edit on 9/20/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

What a childish little sh*t.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

It was coated on her tiara only and was dry. 0 percent chance of infection unless soneone took the tiara and scratched it on their body until they were bleeding or rubbed it all over mucous membranes.

This was to make a point nand there was no harm.

Prove harm.

6th or 7th time today for faux rage.

Are you being serious???.....

Why not have fake blood and say it was to represent living with HIV????..... Oh no attention seeking liberals won't get the reaction they oh so desire...

It is sad and sick..

RA

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Exactly its pretty basic health and saftey.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
The internet wannabe doctors on here today are pathetic. The person never has to ever come in contact with you yet you all have to b*h about the woman's own personal decisions. Fine live in your own little safe space. When I was in school people brought in a book that was written in HIV+ blood and we all passed it around and read and shared the importance of what it meant. ALL of us touched it, none of us contracted the contagion.

I guess narrow mindedness is a fad these days isn't it. Glad i don't jump on that bandwagon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join