It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why choose to be Intellectual Honest?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Why do religious people choose to be Intellectually dishonest to themselve about their beliefs and how they rationally come to said beliefs?

Definition:
Intellectual honesty is an applied method of problem solving, characterized by an unbiased, honest attitude, which can be demonstrated in a number of different ways:

* One's personal beliefs do not interfere with the pursuit of truth;

* Relevant facts and information are not purposefully omitted even when such things may contradict one's hypothesis;

* Facts are presented in an unbiased manner, and not twisted to give misleading impressions or to support one view over another;

* References, or earlier work, are acknowledged where possible, and plagiarism is avoided.

Harvard ethicist Louis M. Guenin describes the "kernel" of intellectual honesty to be "a virtuous disposition to eschew deception when given an incentive for deception."

Intentionally committed fallacies in debates and reasoning are called intellectual dishonesty.

So why do people believe things thats defy belief by applying Intellectual dishonesty?

And yet still assert they are right?

Coomba98
edit on 20-9-2016 by coomba98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: coomba98

a lot of subjective ideas, this is an opinion, isnt it?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Emotions.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Not a subjective opinion, an honest question.

a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I dont understand.

Example.

Why believe X when Y does not conclude or support X.

Coomba98

[mods please change 'thread name from Intellectual to intelligently.']

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Because the subjective mind in question cannot handle change and chooses self deceit instead?

Lets assume that we where trying to understand out of body objectively. The trouble is that religion/subjective view will be the language that you use to interpret the experience so you will have to have people from very different beliefs to notice the differences and similarities to the experience to be able to make an objective understanding on what is going on.

If you did have a real time download of all information in the brain and entangles state to other part of reality then you could maybe see even bigger hints on how it is implemented. As the model becomes more close to how it is implemented the predictions will be better than before.

It is a little bit like weather forecasting. The more variables you add and the more specific you are the more correct models you can create.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: coomba98

Not a subjective opinion, an honest question.

a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I dont understand.

Example.

Coomba98

[mods please change 'thread name from Intellectual to intelligently.']

Why do religious people choose to be Intellectually dishonest to themselve about their beliefs and how they rationally come to said beliefs?

Statement with a question

So why do people believe things thats defy belief by applying Intellectual dishonesty? And yet still assert they are right?

Statement with a question, this is your opinion..

You have to try harder than this, its subjective to you cause of your cultural doctrines, i could move my way to the other side of the world and they would contradict you, so its subjective..

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Incorrect, that is being Intellectually dishonest.

If your religious, then why do you believe in what you believe?

Honest question.

Coomba98

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Bearing in mind, reason pre-dates belief.

You believe 'X' because of said reason.

Why?

Coomba98

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Im what you call a naturalist, i believe in what you observe and common sense. I also know religion has a purpose.. Do you think your blind in faith or you sure about what you know being told to you?

If you think subjective can become swapped to intellectually dishonest, then you make a statement to your own beliefs which is still subjective..

I find no interest in playing a game of words, children do that..

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

they choose to be itellecutal to avoid any logical questions or t osway common sense. If religion was answered logically and honestly it will crumble to the ground.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Do you think your blind in faith or you sure about what you know being told to you?

Faith Definition:

1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

2. strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

tikbalang,

How have I demonstrated 'faith'.?

If you think subjective can become swapped to intellectually dishonest, then you make a statement to your own beliefs which is still subjective..

Being subjective and intellectually dishonest is different.

I find no interest in playing a game of words, children do that..

How am i playing word games. Just curiosity.

Coomba98

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

Sshhhh

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I dont understand your question when you are answering it yourself, use common sense.. its a great gift..

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I dont understand your question when you are answering it yourself, use common sense.. its a great gift..

How do I answer my own question?

Such a question is not a question but a question!!

If you understand your question of a question.

Explain?

Coomba98

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Have you researched everything you believe or do you take someone elses word that it is the truth? Define intelligence, i can start with;" its not about belief "

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

What do i believe and why does that matter?

Why sidestep the question?

Coomba98

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It's called faith
Kinda makes your argument null and void

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

its in the same context.. To put it simple you dont understand your own question..

Here is one answer you gave;"Intellectual honesty is an applied method of problem solving, now what the f**** has this ;" Why do religious people choose to be Intellectually dishonest to themselve about their beliefs and how they rationally come to said beliefs? " Have to do with anything.

Does this has anything to do with problem solving?

Your mixing things to make a point that isnt even valid, religion fills a purpose.. Its the foundation of any society and its structure, its culture, morals and ethics.. It provides a cultural dogma to Primates, with a FOX2P genome meaning YOU.. Remove the 4,5 billion years of evolution and those traits will be used somewhere else..

Ever tried to change the question to "why?"

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
People take it as an offensive attack on their beliefs of truth. They get angry so they don't want to believe anything else. This goes for people who claim to not have any beliefs at all as well. Atheists get mad when people bring up beliefs that they feel strongly can't exist.

That's pretty much all it is. Poster above said emotions, that's only part of it really it has a lot to do with pride and self identification.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Have you researched everything you believe or do you take someone elses word that it is the truth? Define intelligence, i can start with;" its not about belief "

Yes i research what i believe and take scientific descoveries with empirical evidence as true to date.

When taking someones word as true is depending on the context.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

For instance a friend said she had bacon and eggs for breakfast, such mundane actions would only require a testimony from my good friend.

If after lunch she says shes just got abducted by aliens, more than her testomony is required as evidence.

For her claim of alien abduction is bigger than her claim for what she had for breakfast.

originally posted by: Raggedyman
It's called faith
Kinda makes your argument null and void

Faith is pretending to know what you don’t know — and believing it anyway!

What is the reason behind your faith?

Aka: I have faith because.....

Or do you not care that what you believe is true or not? If you strive to make sure all your beliefs are not false then faith should be thrown out the window for more logical thinking.

I dont think you understand my question. Here ill repeat it for you.

'Why do religious people choose to be Intellectually dishonest to themselves about their beliefs and how they rationally come to said beliefs?'

I dont understand how this is confusing.

To make it super simpler...

Hope that helps but cannot make it any more simpler.

Coomba98

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join