It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA satellites uncover lost pyaramids

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

By examining infrared images taken by NASA satellites orbiting 400 miles above the Earth, space archaeologists have identified 17 pyramids buried deep under the ancient Egyptian city of Tanis, Egypt. Tanis, abandoned centuries ago, is famous as the fictional home of the Lost Ark from the Indiana Jones movies. Satellite images also showed other lost structures, upwards of 3,000 settlements, and 1,000 lost tombs, buried for thousands of years.

"What these satellites do is they record light radiation that's reflected off the surface of the Earth in different parts of the light spectrum," Said Sarah Parcak scientist, professor, Egyptologist, anthropologist, and the 2016 winner of the $1 million TED prize. "We use false color imaging to try to tease out these very subtle differences on the ground

(source article)

Although the reporter is very enthused, the archaeologists are NOT saying "17 pyramids" but rather 17 "hits" that have the same characteristics as the known pyramids in the area. The archeologists are sure there's at least 2 (they did test digs coordinated with Egyptian teams) but are not willing to commit to more.

Tanis is a New Kingdom city; a city founded sometime between the reigns of Hatshepsut and Ramesses II (actually, a bit wider range than that... I was just naming two of the most popular pharaohs people might know.) These pyramids would have been for nobles rather than the kings (the kings were being buried in the Valley of the Kings, far to the south near modern Luxor) and would have been made of mud brick. This is why they didn't last as long as the stone pyramids.

They will have underground chambers; hopefully sarcophagi and coffins and (maybe) even tom decorations with part of the Book of the Dead or Book of Caverns on them. It will be years before they can arrange digs, though - the number of people doing this is fairly small and the government isn't going to give permission to dig to just anyone. However, they're not giving locations because they don't want looters - an ever-present problem in modern Egypt.

edit on 19-9-2016 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

No wonder they used similar technology on the moon, mars and who knows where else. Great thread Byrd !
edit on 19-9-2016 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Amazing. Ive mention LIDAR in the news the last couple years. Its laser guided radar...and can "see" through the jungle canopies below the rainforests to pyramids, cities and monuments we have never known was there...nor would ever have found out about without LIDAR.

They have found hundreds and hundreds of previously unknown structures already in Central and South America alone.

I hope I live long enough to see what fantastic, historical unknown facts come to light from NASA and the LIDAR systems as well! We may finally get the answers to the alien issue, and humanity's beginnings and origins.
edit on 19-9-2016 by mysterioustranger because: oops

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
"space archaeologists" - talk about a job title!

I wonder why they're buried so deep. Older, perhaps?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
"space archaeologists" - talk about a job title!

I wonder why they're buried so deep. Older, perhaps?

They're in the Nile Delta, so dust, dust storms, collapse, and silt from Nile floods.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

linky
connected? the turmoil over their has hampered digs and such, but they hopefully resume next year.

do you have any thoughts on taposiris magna? a foxy columbian believes its cleopatra's resting place, c4 have a documentary about it.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: stinkelbaum

Hadn't really read on Taposiris Magna, and we haven't gotten to the Ptolemaic times in our classes (we just finished the New Kingdom and probably won't get to the Ptolemys until our fourth year (so ask me in 2018).) It seems a plausible place for her burial, and Wikipedia says "The site of their mausoleum is uncertain, though the Egyptian Antiquities Service believes that it is in or near the temple of Taposiris Magna, southwest of Alexandria."

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Nice Thanks for Posting Bryd .

Now zip that Satellite baby over to Bosnia !!
as there is claims to be 3 to 4 buried

and let see if the Truth of its Claim Prevails!!

Then Next In Parts of South America & Central America ..

and see of the Location if there's an actual pyramid structure
where a Kid Theorized of where it could be ...

Curious to Know ...

Hell ,, lets place a Satellite like it over to Mars like Cydonia ..
Never Happen tho .. no Purpose...
for a real Challenge... for the Conspiracy NUTJOBS

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Wow, i had missed this Byrd so thanks for sharing. 17 (mooted) pyramids seems a lot for Tanis, even though it was a very important settlement.

We know that parts of Pi-Ramesses were transported there after the Nile dried up / changed course to make that city uninhabitable - i had always assumed that was because it was a big city nearby. Perhaps Tanis was actually much more important than i realised!

Or other Egytpian cities also had a lot more pyramids than we originally suspected......

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Wow, i had missed this Byrd so thanks for sharing. 17 (mooted) pyramids seems a lot for Tanis, even though it was a very important settlement.

We know that parts of Pi-Ramesses were transported there after the Nile dried up / changed course to make that city uninhabitable - i had always assumed that was because it was a big city nearby. Perhaps Tanis was actually much more important than i realised!

Or other Egytpian cities also had a lot more pyramids than we originally suspected......

To quote from Wikipedia, "Tanis was a city in ancient Egypt and served as a parallel religious center to Thebes in the Third Intermediate Period. "

So what we're looking at is a large religious center during a time when local kings were trying to establish their own kingship and reconquer the rest of Egypt. The Third Intermediate Period (which I think we will study this year) lasted for around 300 years; adequate time for 17 rulers or more.

top topics

join