It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple burned out headlight was a lesson to me on how easy police can violate our rights.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I also get offended when I get pulled over for one thing then questioned for another.

You got off easy, though, and that's a question I've been asked every time I've been pulled over after sunset. Might be policy.

They can decide they have "reasonable cause" to force you to exit your vehicle and frisk you. They can search your car, bring in the drug dogs and delay you for hours- even arrest everyone in the car (ahem, they call it "detain") for up to 24 hours just for giggles, while throwing your car in the impound where you then have to pay to get it back.

Then they can get a sneek and peak warrant and go through your underwear drawer while you're at work the next day- and if they help themselves to any cash they find... who'se to say they took it? Best shot you've got is filing a report... with the police.

Best of luck with that

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
Thats different. Road side safety checks are cover for invasive practices. More akin to military road blocks and checkpoints.

Eventually the precinct has to justify the over expenditure. If they aren't apprehending enough criminals with this tactic, they can invent some by planting 'evidence' or harassing and intimidating people to over react, then get slapped with obstruction and resisting, charges.

Revenue is what they are after, not morality.

link   
So be polite and don't volunteer anything.
If the officer asks do you know why I stopped you the answer is not "because I was speeding?" The answer is no. No I do not know why you stopped me.

link   
I don't think he abused you, if he yanked you over with no cause, and asked the same questions a few times then he is fishing.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Which of your rights were violated?

The Right to not be asked questions God Damn it!

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

They will also ask if you have any weapons, or "anything illegal"

just questions. you could refuse to answer if you don't mind waiting on the side of the road for an hour until a K9 shows up to sniff your car

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels
The Right to not be asked questions God Damn it!

I must have missed that one in the Constitution, is that next to the right not to get triggered?

edit on 19-9-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Alright get down off that soapbox now. It was a relevant story and as far as I'm concerned the stop was not a violation or infringement of any rights and didn't seem like a means to any other end then to catch drunk drivers on a holiday know for drinking.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc

They will also ask if you have any weapons, or "anything illegal"

just questions. you could refuse to answer if you don't mind waiting on the side of the road for an hour until a K9 shows up to sniff your car

Yah, good repose to the weapons question is... grenades, rocket launchers? No, sorry I left those at home tonight (be sure to smile).

Because you know the next (polite) question is going to be , do you mind if I 'look around'?

Just submit, like you said. They got dogs trained to 'hit' on command.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think he was just doing his job.
You didnt get shot, so id say it was a good encounter.

A while back I was driving down the road with my wife and the kids in the back seat.
Same thing happened to me, got pulled over for having a burnt out brake light.

He informed me of the burnt out bulb and asked if i was drinking or had been during the day.
I just so happened to have my daughters baby bottle full of milk in the cup holder beside me. Jokingly I held it up and pointed to the back seat with the 3 kids looking on.

He smiled and told us to proceed but get the bulb replaced when I get a chance.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I am prepared to sell my Willie P card to the highest bidder. As a Mason it is kinda redundant, the cops do not give us tickets since we know all the secret high signs to flash them.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Alright get down off that soapbox now.

Fourth amendment rights aren't 'soapboxing', Silly.

...as far as I'm concerned the stop was not a violation or infringement of any rights...

Because, I presume, you weren't educated on the rights of citizens under the constitution when growing up. If you were you would at least see something wrong wth police roadblocks and checkpoints. But thats not what the thread is about. The officer in the OP was just doing this job.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I must have missed that one in the Constitution, is that next to the right not to get triggered?

Right, they can ask anything they want. There is always choice. Everyone can respectfully refuse to answer, keep in mind, this may invite unwanted attention.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Quick find a safe space, have a warm glass of milk, some fresh backed cookies, and a warm blankly. You'll heal. As for the cop, I wonder how many drunks he's taken of the streets with the simple investigation skills he displayed. Drunks that kill many innocent families every year.a reply to: WeRpeons

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The officer stopped you to tell you your light was out, and then he LET YOU GO without a ticket AFTER you stupidly suggested and admitted you had been speeding! Oh, the horrors of the police state! You poor poor baby! Get yourself to a safe space and never leave again so you won't be so abused. This is outrageous! When are we going to stand up and stop this? This is obviously worth a multi-page discussion on ATS.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

He can ask anything he wants. You shouldn't admit to anything (like speeding) even if you know you are guilty. Also, you can't lie to them. However, you can have a little fun with them. If you're going to get a ticket anyway and you're in no rush to get anywhere, get your money's worth for that ticket.

"Sir, do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No, but I'm glad you did, handsome (wink). My address is on my license, I can write down my phone number for you if you want."

"Sir, have you been drinking?"

"Of course!"

"How much have you had to drink, sir?"

"Well, let's see. I had two cups of coffee this morning. I had a strawberry shake with my burger at lunch. I think I had a large latte this afternoon while I was waiting for my meth dealer at Starbucks, and I had some iced tea with dinner. I'm not sure about that latte at Starbucks, though. I may have just imagined that. By the way, whatever you are smelling right now is not coming from my trunk, so you don't have to search that. You can take my word for it."

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Couple of things:

if you were tired from your trip, being tired can also have some overlapping qualities to having a few drinks.

you had a light out and didn't notice, it happens, but it also could be a lack of judgment on the drivers part. Drinking makes a lack of judgment easier.

you could have been over friendly, especially if you were worried about the females nagging you after it. Being over friendly is a sign of being drinking.

IF you were the cop, are you saying that you were giving ZERO signs of possibly having a drink in you? Once you answered, he could tell and you weren't the droids he was looking for....move along, move along

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
What says you ATS?

You are being a bit of a drama queen.

So long as the policeman was civil and you were reasonable, then I say no harm done. He probably wanted you to talk a bit so he could smell your breath, as any drunken oaf would say they were teetotal.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MongolianPaellaFish

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Now here is where I feel he infringed on my rights. He then says, “sir have you had any drinks tonight” and I immediately said no, not at all. He then says, did you do any drinking earlier in the day?”

How did this infringe on your rights? It's a routine question. He can't hit you with DUI unless he can prove it, and by your own admission he took you at your word without even asking you to take a breath test. He never even accused you of DUI.

So what's the problem?

Its a fishing expedition.

The purpose of him being pulled over, as stated, was a vehicle safety issue. Not erratic driving, or anything that would lead to the cause to ask about drinking.

Its an overstep. Minor, and likely done countless times a day. But an overstep nonetheless. As a taxpaying citizen who has a job, I have an hourly rate applied to my endeavors. Im happy to pull over and handle the simple administrative issues related to a traffic stop. I am not going to, for free, sit and visit with an officer who has free time and wants to go fishing at my expense. its unreasonable, which is a legal test.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The officer stopped you to tell you your light was out, and then he LET YOU GO without a ticket AFTER you stupidly suggested and admitted you had been speeding! Oh, the horrors of the police state! You poor poor baby! Get yourself to a safe space and never leave again so you won't be so abused. This is outrageous! When are we going to stand up and stop this? This is obviously worth a multi-page discussion on ATS.

admitting to speeding won't get you a ticket that can withstand a challenge in court. That is just evidence of you misspeaking. Without evidence of a crime, there is no crime.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join