It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Alexandria will seek to move Confederate statue and rename Jefferson Davis Highway

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude
What a beautiful, awesome song. I have been rather interested in Virginia lately. I guess it comes from catching the Walton's reruns. Looks like a fine place to live.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

This is how history is rewritten.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If history is being written as someone who fought for the right to own slaves was a man to be respected and admired - then history needs to be rewritten. Now, if you have a statue of Jefferson Davis standing with a black slave kneeling before him with shackles on - THAT would be true history. If you have a highway named " The Black Oppressor Jefferson Davis", THAT would be true history.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Grambler

We might as well memorialize Hitler then, as he did do some good for Germany's economy.

No one is perfect, but when a person's greatest achievement was fighting for slavery, I have a problem memorializing them.

Yet who decides what a person was mostly about? In this case, that decider is you or anyone else that is offended. I am sure most southerners at the time didn't view Davis as a primarily a defender of slavery, seeing as how most of them didn't own slaves. They probably looked at him as someone defending their homeland from the bullying north.

Now the confederate flag and people like Davis are remembered for all of the lives lost in the South during the war. But those troops were all garbage right, they don't deserve to be remembered.

Lets look at contemporary people. I could be wrong, but you probably like someone like Bill Clinton (even if you don't, some do). He has a library and streets named after him. I remember him for being primarily a womanizer. So my feelings come first right. As long as one person is offended, we need to remove all things named after him.

You cheer for this scrubbing of history when it fits your narrative of the world, but as soon as people you respect start to "offend" other people and be removed, you will be the first to scream foul.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

If history is being written as someone who fought for the right to own slaves was a man to be respected and admired - then history needs to be rewritten. Now, if you have a statue of Jefferson Davis standing with a black slave kneeling before him with shackles on - THAT would be true history. If you have a highway named " The Black Oppressor Jefferson Davis", THAT would be true history.

And so we should have statues of Ghandi only if it is him beating a black person and his wife, and statues of Frederick Douglas forcing his wife to live with women he was banging, right?

Oh, right. Only your feelings matter.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I imagine this will go over about as well as the General Rainbow would in Virginia.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
It seems like I have heard this before.....but where?

The two African American council members, John Taylor Chapman (D) and Willie F. Bailey Sr. (D), repudiated that sentiment. Bailey later said that he was speaking not for himself but for his parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and other ancestors. “To try to say anyone even back then didn’t realize it’s wrong to own a person, that’s not right,” he said. Others spoke with passion about the need for Alexandria to own up to its past. “It’s never too late to right a wrong,” said Greg Thrasher, the director of a D.C. and Detroit-based think tank, Plane Ideas. “Yes, black lives matter right now in Alexandria. Black people have civil rights fatigue. How long does it take us to get to equality?” The decision to rename Jefferson Davis Highway, also known as Route 1, which runs from the 14th Street Bridge over the Potomac River and south to Richmond, was less contentious.

link to story.
So apparently removing history and ignoring the past will somehow help fix racism? If we keep on this path, kids in 30 years will have no idea what horrible things happened in the past. Slavery, the Holocaust, The fight for civil rights. All these things happened and all these things shaped us into the people we are today. Removing history will not change the past, it will only erode the future.

I'm just so glad that I was assured none of this would happen when the Dylan Roof situation happened and everyone wanted to remove the rebel flag. Being stupid is not an excuse for this level of idiocy. Let history remain, it's there for a reason.

At the same time Universities are promoting racial segregation.

They're regressive, not progressive.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

So you think Germany should memorialize Hitler? Have statues dedicated to him and name schools and libraries and highways after him? You think that's a good idea? After all, his followers looked up to him for trying to bring Germany to a level of greatness. What about the Nazis who died during WWII. Don't their lives deserve to be memorialized, or are they all just garbage?

No, Germany doesn't have any statues dedicated to Hitler, nor do they have any roads or schools named after him. I guess history was scrubbed and we have forgotten all about it now, hmmm?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

So we should memorialize Jefferson Davis because some white folks want to and only their feelings matter?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Hitler? Really? And if you want to see more slave owners open your wallet and look at your money.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

So you think Germany should memorialize Hitler? Have statues dedicated to him and name schools and libraries and highways after him? You think that's a good idea? After all, his followers looked up to him for trying to bring Germany to a level of greatness. What about the Nazis who died during WWII. Don't their lives deserve to be memorialized, or are they all just garbage?

No, Germany doesn't have any statues dedicated to Hitler, nor do they have any roads or schools named after him. I guess history was scrubbed and we have forgotten all about it now, hmmm?

Isn't it time for some liberal to come on here and mention Poes law?

So you equate Jefferson Davis to Hitler. Care to show me where he gassed millions of people? I assume you also believe that all of the poor soldiers that fought for the south were just run of the mill Nazis too, right. Hell, we should dig up their graves and lot them rot in the open!

If Davis stance makes him Hitler, would someone like Lincoln that helped decimate the Indians also be like Hitler?

Again, its all about your feelings. I feel like Bill Clinton is Hitler. I feel like the Black Panthers were Hitler, and Muhammed Ali. I feel like Ghandi and Frederick Douglas were HItler. I feel like BLM is Hitler. I feel like Muslims are Hitler.

So I demand that none of these any be celebrated or memorialized.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
These are genuine questions ....I have never quite understood why some insist on differentiating and calling themselves African Americans....surely after 200-300 yrs they are quite simply Americans? Maybe once upon a time their ancestors may have been African just like my ancestors were once Celts/Romans/Normans...that doesn't make me Roman! Do they follow their ancient ancestors culture & customs? Have they even been to Africa? Do they know for certain their ancestors are from Africa in the first place? Perhaps if some stopped trying to divide themselves and set themselves apart there would be less perceived racism as the majority of racism I see and hear of seems to come from these "African Americans" themselves. How can they cry cultural appropriation when they aren't and never have been part of that alleged culture? When they, more than willingly are part of the American culture which they now allegedly despise and take complete advantage of? Which parts of Africa do they insist are their culture exactly? Congo? Ghana? Nigeria? Or do they simply cherry pick the bits they like? Believe me as an ex African they would be singing a different tune if they actually lived there...nay even if they just visited! Do they wish to return to the land of their alleged roots? Are they so unhappy in the USA and all the opportunities they have or would they prefer to be in Africa living the perceived dream? Does the struggle of their grandparents & great grandparents to give them all they have today mean nothing to them?

And just what lack of equality are they referring to? They have more groups commissions quangos charities funding etc than probably any other group of people fighting in their corner. They have all the same equalities those evil white folks have and in fact probably have more protection from discrimination than any other group too. It seems to me they don't want equality and never have, they want "special". It appears that some are determined that they will stay trapped in the past and revel in their percieved misery until everyone agrees to "give" them everything they want or need so they don't have to work for it deserve it or even appreciate it. They have a sense of entitlement which has been instilled into some by manipulative others with their own agendas. They call successful black people sell outs or wannabee whities they seem jealous of anyone successful who isn't sharing the ghetto stereotype and despise those that try and better themselves. They prefer to perpetuate the stereotype and play the blame game rather than do anything about their situation themselves.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: bonsaihorn

Sure, it was about state's rights.

Namely, the right to own slaves. More than one state mentioned slavery in their declaration of secession. Pretending otherwise is just an exercise in protecting the image one has of ancestors.

Though I will readily agree the north didn't go to war over slavery. The north went to war to end the rebellion. The rebellion that was started over state's rights. Like the right to own slaves and take them wherever one wanted to take them without worry that somebody would "steal" one's property by freeing it.

No the north called it rebellion when in fact it was constitutional at the time for them to withdraw if they wished. Self determination is one of the key parts of Independence is it not?

Lincoln started this over the Loss of southern goods to Europe because the north TAXED THEM UNFAIRLY. The trade deficit between north and south was horrible. In short..the war was over the north losing money.

SO keep believing that lie about it was Slavery or rebellion,when in fact Lincoln was the one in the wrong at the time.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

The difference is, they didn't specifically fight to keep owning them. Thomas Jefferson was extremely conflicted about it. He knew it was wrong and wanted to stop it - even wanted to mention blacks should be free in the declaration, but the other guys told him to leave it out as it might stop those states from signing up to fight the British. That's a little bit different from someone who was willing to die in order to keep his slaves.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

So we should memorialize Jefferson Davis because some white folks want to and only their feelings matter?

If you remove that statue you might as well remove MLK statues as well to be fair. Remove Staue of liberty too,and all presidential statues. Shoot make all statues against the law because SOMEONE is going to be offended over it.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

So the Federalist slave owners are given a pass but the South's are evil. I see you've bought the spin. You know? Where the victor gets to write history. Check out Yuppa's post. He nailed EXACTLY what the CW was about.

edit on 19-9-2016 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

No, you equate Hitler with Gandhi.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

So the North's slave owners are given a pass but the South's are evil. I see you've bought the spin. You know? Where the victor gets to write history. Check out Yuppa's post. He nailed EXACTLY what the CW was about.

Star for you! Im glad someone can see that the official story is BS.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

We need to remember not memorialize the guilty or wax nostalgic about the old South. Leave the memorials or take them down, it doesn't personally affect me or bother me. However, I can certainly understand why people take issue with the glorification of the defenders of slavery... especially if they're tax-payer funded.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Funny how the tax situation had been going on for a while, but states started seceding right after Lincoln got elected in 1860, with his platform of stopping the expansion of slavery.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join