It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's oldest fish hooks found in Japanese island cave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Without writing about all the theories of mankind's spread around the world via the coastal routes of the ocean (which I tend to support) here is an interesting find from Japan. The article says oldest fish hooks that have been found. I have seen thorns and all kinds of things around the world used as hooks which would probably not last very long no matter where they were stored. One of the coolest devices for getting fish was actually a blow gun using darts made out of bamboo... Hey it worked.. Anyway maybe this article and find from a cave in Japanese Okinawa will tickle someone's interest.

It is thought humans inhabited the island from at least 30,000 years ago, surviving despite scarce resources.

The findings suggest a wider use of advanced maritime technology in that era than previously thought.

Modern humans first moved to offshore islands some 50,000 years ago.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This is not a fish hook.. BBC at it again.. LOL

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

What do you think it is? Is that what you want us to ask you?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
One of my cousins wear something like this in the large holes in her earlobes.

They don't look much like a fish hook to me. I see no place on it that is fashioned to connect the fishing line.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Did you read the paper the article references (or any of its citations)?

There's no exposition on why they think these things are fishhooks. Pandaram makes a valid, if rather obtuse, point.

Are we supposed to believe they're fishhooks simply because the priesthood scientists say so?

They were found with beads. Why couldn't they be earrings or part of a necklace?

No explanation, just speculation presented as fact. That's anthropology for you.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The hooks were obviously found in the tackle box next to the fly rods and empty beer jugs..

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

They don't look much like a fish hook to me. I see no place on it that is fashioned to connect the fishing line.

I have actually seen twine wrapped several time around the broader end and secured with a knot to hold the so called hook. When finished with the tying process just about all that is left of the hook is the curved hook part. The tying in this manner also adds strength to the hook..

Is it possible that these hook looking shells were actually a form of body decoration... SURE ! Nice to have a friend who carries around hooks through their ears so that if one came upon a good spot for fishing all it would take is some twine and a few ears to make the catch of the day.. Probably not very sturdy hooks to begin with, so they preforming a dual function makes sense...

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
This is not a fish hook.. BBC at it again.. LOL

Why are you attacking BBC? They are sharing the news from www.pnas.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Yes.. for irresponsible reporting... bbc becoming worse then dodgy medias like fox or cnn.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

originally posted by: butcherguy

I have actually seen twine wrapped several time around the broader end and secured with a knot to hold the so called hook. When finished with the tying process just about all that is left of the hook is the curved hook part. The tying in this manner also adds strength to the hook..

Is it possible that these hook looking shells were actually a form of body decoration... SURE ! Nice to have a friend who carries around hooks through their ears so that if one came upon a good spot for fishing all it would take is some twine and a few ears to make the catch of the day.. Probably not very sturdy hooks to begin with, so they preforming a dual function makes sense...

The earliest form of fish hook was the gorge hook. It is a straight piece of wood, bone or shell that has the line tied in the middle.
Most hooks that do not have an eye have a roughed up area or an inverse taper to keep the line from slipping.
I have never seen a fish hook made of shell or bone of the design seen in the article. There are examples of neolithic fish hooks made of stone and bone that have both a straight shank and a barb. The end where the line is attached had a thickened area to retain the line when it was tied on.

new topics

top topics

join