It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

RAF sending Typhoons to Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The RAF announced that they are sending four Typhoons, a Voyager tanker, and C-17 support aircraft to Japan. They will be participating in exercise Guardian North 16, with JASDF F-15s and F-2s. The exercise will take place at Misawa Air Base from mid October until early November. The Typhoons are part of RAF II Squadron.

www.gov.uk...

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
So which potential threat is this exercise aimed at?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

None

Its Just a training8 exercise

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

None. England and Japan are strengthening ties. Japan is working with several UK companies to improve equipment they produce, and now they're working on closer ties.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Well i live here in Misawa which means much more noise from the jets. But it will be cool to see them up close

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: wrc445
Well i live here in Misawa which means much more noise from the jets. But it will be cool to see them up close

Typhoons are pretty sexy aircraft.

I see them alot flying over were i live.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I've caught Tornados a couple times, including an up close and personal look, but haven't caught a Typhoon yet. I'll eventually catch one at Nellis for Red Flag.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: wrc445

hehe.

please share some pics if you can.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I've got some amazing pics of Tornados with fancy paint jobs from an air show I attended but unfortunately they're stuck in a hard drive in my broken PC. I will post them as and when I can.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

It is a training exercise but aimed at showing strength in the face of a growing danger from NK and increased breach of international territorial law's by China.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You'll be impressed Zaph, a Typhoon is a fiercely powerful aircraft and when the RAF are allowed to fly them agressively at low level they're a great sight, always fun during duties at Coningsby watching them scream off for the north sea intercepts with the Russians, many windows have been shattered

Not fully mature as a combat platform yet but very few airframes can match it's swing role performance and flexibility. Excellent progress on the Brimstone integration in the middle east and very successful (although mosly classified) use of low level gun firing against IS vehicles recently.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBogmonster

And our pilot's low level training over Snowdonia and in Scotland make them some of the finest if not THE finest low level fighter pilot's in the world, couple this training to the aircraft and the symbiosis of training and technology should not be underestimated even if Cameron and his cut's nearly did it for our armed forces.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I did my 30 minute break at the Petro truck stop by Nellis during a Red Flag they were at, but only got the Tornados coming back. Once we're done driving I'll be trying to spend at least one day at every Red Flag so should finally get to catch them at one.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You'll be impressed Zaph, a Typhoon is a fiercely powerful aircraft and when the RAF are allowed to fly them agressively at low level they're a great sight, always fun during duties at Coningsby watching them scream off for the north sea intercepts with the Russians, many windows have been shattered

You forgot to mention aggressively pointy! Any aircraft looks really menacing when it is pointy!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

One liner but lol!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Thanks lab. They don't do these exercises for nothing. They cost a lot of money...

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Training exercises are never for nothing. Even if they aren't aimed at specific threats they're valuable for everyone involved in them. In this case, you have two nations that aren't used to working together. The only way to get used to working together is to train together.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

You'll love it Zaph. The sound from the engine is unique. Have a look on YouTube for some videos of it doing the Mach Loop.

new topics

top topics

join