It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Panic in Asheville, Western N.C. - All Stations Sold Out, Are You Prepared?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Probably not your intent, but that bottom gif would be a perfect example of my original comment. I'm guessing thats some black friday footage.

The illusion of scarcity is so easily created that it can cause large groups of animals to act so irrational and primitive, it's almost scary how simple it is.
edit on 18-9-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
How weak and dependent are we if we can't go a week or two without gas?

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Good points. I don't think Asheville specifically was targeted, I'm just reporting from what I see here personally. From the news reports there's no reason for the panic, yet here we are with no gas. I just find it strange the lack of a logial cause and effect connection.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Dependent on gas YES, weak? What do you mean by weak? Because if I have to take my kids 8 miles one way to school every day then work, 20 miles or so....how quickly do you think those miles miles add up

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Steak
Obama's Energy Policy is working just a well as his Health Care Plan.

I never uphold Obama . But , this has nothing to do with Obama or any policy. Even unlocking the Federal oil Reserves wont help this one as it is not an oil supply issue , rather a gas supply issue

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LanceCorvette

The explanation isn't rocket science, and it's been in the news in my part of the state. The pipeline supplies most of the southeast. Ergo, a problem with the flow creates a problem for everybody else.

And the governor issued his executive orders so that tankers could travel outside of their restricted hours to get deliveries made. Which, coincidentally, was also explained in the news.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mobius8
a reply to: DBCowboy

Dependent on gas YES, weak? What do you mean by weak? Because if I have to take my kids 8 miles one way to school every day then work, 20 miles or so....how quickly do you think those miles miles add up

I'd start car-pooling now.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I get that. It's not so much that but why the panic, what caused the panic just from that basic information, and what a coincidence a gas panic happened 8 years ago almost to the day right before a major election.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
LanceCorvette, that is quite plausible...

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

False flag scare tactics - that's my first thought! Panic the people, cause unrest. This, on top of terrorist attacks, a military blunder, and a candidate reported dead? The crazy news just keeps coming.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Im in boone nc and no gas shortage here

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'll be ok where I live unless some eco-terrorist decides to sabotage our local pipelines as well.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LanceCorvette
Ostensibly because of the Alabama gas pipeline break, there's been a gas panic here in Asheville. All stations are out of gas, starting yesterday (9/17) and continuing today with no end in sight. The governor has declared a state of emergency so that deliveries can be made, not sure what one has to do with the other (something about restrictions on deliveries?). Local news article:
LINK TO NEWS ARTICLE

So far there's been *zero* explanation of why a gas pipeline break in Alabama would result in stations running out in Asheville, N.C. or why a state of emergency had to be declared, but from watching the news it seems like no one has even bothered to ask. There was no announcement that there would be shortages, only that prices may increase. All of a sudden folks were lining up.

Interesting factoid: the same thing happened almost to the date eight years ago, right before a major election. Coincidence?

Link to that article: Same Thing Eight Years Ago

Makes you think: just an announcement that prices may rise results in a run on gas, that's all it takes to start a panic. Do you have your survival supplies laid up?

Dang, I'm sorry to hear about this. I love Asheville. My wife myself and some friends did air b&b on Black Mountain for fourth of July weekend. My brother used to live in the "ASTON" on Church st. Good luck to you and the towns folk. Asheville will Overcome!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

It's the same in Tennessee.
I went out Friday night around 9:30 PM after my daughter called and said in her town Smyrna, TN there were lines around the block and police assisting.
I had just got back in town from NYC and did not know any of this was going on. So, I went out in my small town where usually people are in bed by 9 PM to find a line of people! The station had already ran out of regular gas, crazy people freaking out and a price increase by .40 cents! I can't imagine what it's like now, haven't been back out since.
Also, my daughter told me today there is no premium gas left anywhere in her town or the towns just outside of Smyrna, TN.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Mobius8

Which brings up a broader point: how can a pipeline break in just one pipeline result in an entire State running out of gas?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the factors: It's a weekend, probably no deliveries scheduled until Monday, and there's probably stores of it somewhere just waiting to be delivered.

But why the panic? And why Western N.C.? If they hadn't announced it, likely nobody would even have known and would have gassed up routinely, i.e., people wouldn't have felt the need to rush to "top off" their tanks. It may have resulted in a slight price increase but no one would have noticed.

I'm thinking, someone is trying to see what the minimum amount of information can be used to cause a panic.

the pipeline that ruptured in Alabama feeds NC SC Georgia... etc all the South Eastern States. Brings it straight from the Gulf coast where the USA has most of it's refineries that turn oil into gasoline. Fun Fact Gasoline is our biggest export. Many people don't know that. So imagine a pipe like a faucet always pouting this gas way closer to us, but now it has to be trucked in from much further away.. Probably trucked from texas but I'm hugely ignorant of what pipelines around here are or whatever but that is a long drive from Texas.

Gas prices seem to be unusually higher in Western North Carolina. I lived in Boone for two years. I think it's more out of the way or inconvenient somehow to get there. It is in the mountains afterall.. Food prices are a bit higher too. Gas stations in my hood chapel hill are running out.. Chapel Hill is like middle of the State. I commented in the car earlier it was odd a gas station said the gas was 0.00 dollars.

This escaelated quickly.....

And with the OTHER pipeline having issues being finished..

Who knows if there is a connection? I surely don't.

I walk everywhere I go so who knows maybe I'll get extra hours at work cause I'll be one of the only people who has the ability to walk a few miles..

We shall see.

So yea Chapel Hill running out of gas at a few stations.. I'll see if any local news is out. try to.

Sort of local Raleigh is 30 minutes east.

North Carolina stations run out of gas (WRAL news)

North Carolina is one of about five states in the southeast dealing with the shortage after the pipeline, which carries fuel from the Gulf Coast to the Northeast and supplies gasoline for an estimated 50 million people on the east coast, was shut down Sept. 9 after it spilled about 250,000 gallons.

edit on 18-9-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Humans are such fools, it doesn't take much if anything to "heard" them around.

Oh I absolutely agree. I mean ...take away a resource used by everybody, daily, and it's like they all be actin' a fool when that highly necessary resource is gone.

What jackaninnies, right?

High five, bro!

Nothing was "taken away",. Also, this may come as a shock, but being able to drive around hundreds of miles a day is not a necessity for survival, most people are acting on nothing more than unnecessary fear and have actually created the scenario.

I wonder if you'd be so dismissive were you to find yourself having an acute myocardial infarction and in the back of an ambulance taking you to lifesaving emergency medical care and they suddenly stop halfway there and tell you they can go no further because they are out of gas...sorry, you're just going to have to die, or try to make it on foot. Good luck, buddy.

That could be a reality. They're experiencing a shortage in Georgia too, and people are unable to get to work. If this continues to escalate, pretty soon hospitals will run out of supplies and won't be able to get more. Ditto grocery stores, pharmacies...how many diabetics in a given demographic would die within a matter of days if all the insulin in their city was depleted and the entire state is out of gas, so no one can deliver more or go elsewhere to purchase it? How many cardiac patients would die if they ran out of heart meds? Think about that.

Emergency vehicles would not be able to respond to fires or medical emergencies or crimes in progress. People would be unable to get to the pharmacy or the grocery store or the hospitals.

This is the United States of America, in the year 2016. There is no reason why any state should be completely out of gasoline. However, it is happening. And if you think that gas is not necessary, you are kidding yourself. We are almost as dependent on it as we are technology.

We are not living in a world where everything is within walking distance...if that were the case, I would be inclined to agree with you. It would suck, and there might be issues with supplies getting in and out, but people could handle it until whatever crisis was resolved.

Translate that to a vast, sprawling city of millions, where it is no less than a half hour drive to get anywhere other than a convenience store...then you've got a serious problem. In this instance, we are not talking about a city, however. We're talking about an entire state.

People are right to be concerned. This isn't just about having enough gas to take the car out for a spin. If something is not done to quickly resolve this issue, and it starts happening in more and more states, sh*t is gonna get very real, very quickly. I do however agree with you, with regard to people rushing the pumps to gas up for unnecessary consumption; that falls to the state government for not aggressively addressing an obvious growing issue before it got to this point.

I think the folks closing their station down early just so that churchgoers could have gas on Sunday to go to church is a shining example of how very unlikely it is that most people would be able to survive for very long if they were suddenly cut off from the rest of the world and unable to leave. When getting to church on Sunday is considered a valid reason to hoard fuel in a time of crisis, it becomes glaringly obvious that there is something seriously out of whack with the mentality in this country.

I sincerely hope that it does not turn into a scenario such as those I've offered. I hope that this will all resolve itself quickly and without incident, and you can have a laugh at my expense. However, the reality is that it very well could happen.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

False flag scare tactics - that's my first thought! Panic the people, cause unrest. This, on top of terrorist attacks, a military blunder, and a candidate reported dead? The crazy news just keeps coming.

I'm leaning that way too, but I'm staying alert...too many crazy events one on top of the other lately, and it feels sketchy.

Out of curiosity, if this were to actually become a full blown crisis situation across the south, do you think that would be sufficient cause to suspend the election?

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The sky has fallen.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

a reply to: Informer1958

" What caused the accident in the first place? "

Could be another whole topic, but personally I find it very coincidental this happening right when pipelines are in the news that is, the South Dakota / Indian thing. My instinct says sabotage to prove how "unsafe" pipelines are.

Not so sure about sabotage for that reason, to prove how unsafe. Though, rather maybe a message to say the new pipeline being protested against needs to be in place due to the older failing pipelines.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
chances of this getting any airtime in the national cable MSM, people should realy work this on the social media platform and just see how facebook plays it. i'd like to see if the blanket it on social media.

It's already been reported in the mainstream media.

The ABC network is covering it:

A storm-related gas shortage in the Southeast that has left some places bone-dry and others with two-hour gas lines is expected to continue for at least another two weeks, energy experts and industry officials say.

The shortage began two weeks after Hurricane Gustav hit the oil-refining regions of the Gulf Coast on Sept. 1. Operations that shut down before that storm were just coming back online when Hurricane Ike hit, forcing another shutdown. The gas shortage, now in its third week, is particularly acute here in sprawling Atlanta, in Nashville in parts of the Carolinas and in Anniston, Ala.

"I don't go anywhere once I find some and get my tank filled up," says Alicia Woods, 32, who waited 45 minutes to fill up Sunday morning at a QuikTrip in Cobb County, Ga. "Going out, visiting friends, all that just has to wait. I have to keep my gas for getting back and forth to work."

Long gas lines continued to plague the Charlotte area over the weekend. Asheville, N.C., shut down some government offices Friday.

(Source).

There's nothing sinister about this. Only fools live in constant fear.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join