It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Database Driven Application.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Hello, It's been a while since I have used Java and I really never got into developing database driven applications. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on database driven applications in Java/Android Development? I've been searching around online and really haven't had much luck. Thank you. It can be Java, or VB.net. I'm really looking for a useful tutorial on the development cycle of a database driven application, please, and thank you.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

Hi! You could always check out pluralsight as they sometimes offer a certain amount of time to try out their courses for free which might get you started.

If it's VB.net then Microsoft do tonnes of free videos and tutorials - check out msdn.com to start off with. I'm C# myself so someone else might be able to give you some more info on the more specific Java/Android angle.

Here's a start on the vb side: msdn.microsoft.com...

Hope that helps and good luck!
edit on 18-9-2016 by youcanttellthepeople because: Added example link

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
why do you need the development cycle of a database driven application, sounds like homework. what should your database driven application do? SQL would be a abvious choice...

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Your question is too broad imo. Java browser plugin is being discontinued AFAIK, so I would go the route of .net. VS express is a free download and comes with sql express in some releases I believe. Main restriction of newest releases is they only allow local connections if i recall correctly. If you care about business continuity I would go the route of mysql 5.7 or Maria dB and use uuid() for primary keys on user data to offer the possibility of multi master replication. In terms of design it depends if you are handling tons of micro transactions or large data with less transactions. One ultimate lookup is popular these days for a lot of turn-key frameworks because of how easy you can adapt to it generically. Im not a fan and OLTP isn't either. My general approach is to build semi generic classes to access stored procedures or parameterized queries. Anything in the conditions of your sql will likely need an index. Usually joins are indexed fields but if you happen to join on fields that are not primary keys, I would index those. Constraints like FK I tend to avoid because they drag on performance. Orphaned records have never been a problem for me this far so I prefer to handle relationships in code but you each their own.

I think one of the best resources I have used in the past is 4guysfromrolla . Those guys know their business. Excellent examples and tuts.

Good luck!

edit on 18-9-2016 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

If it were C# or VB based, I'd have you contact me via PM, as most of my work has revolved around applications that use SQL.

However, I can tell you some of the things to look up (just in case it is homework, I don't want to give away free answers).

1. If you are new to this, one of my first assignments besides the typical "Goodbye, Cruel World" application was to use the Swing framework to build a simple GUI. Start there - build some kind of GUI/Front-end to give you an idea of what you want to store in the database.

2. Next, look up what kinds of database drivers are available for Java - There should be one called JDBC. Get familiar with using it in a non-Android project (simple Java applet). This driver allows you to connect to a database.

3. Learn how to use and format SQL (if you don't know already). SQL is one way to "talk" to a database. At the very least, learn how to build the connection string, and how to do SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements.

4. Don't start with something complex such as Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle. Instead, start with something like Microsoft Access, SQLLite, or even XML (I wouldn't use XML for a database, but it's good for practice). These are relatively easy to setup and use.

5. Check some of the questions out on stackexchange - Just by searching for "Android Access Database", many questions (some with plenty of code snippets) already came up.

Also, in regards to design cycle - Keep in mind, your customers are not developers: They want something that's flashy, sparkles, and does exactly what they want. So, how I'd design an app is:
1. Gather requirements from customers (via survey, demos, beta tests, etc).
2. Create Mockups (What the client will see, what client can expect when something is done).
3. Create the code + statements to retrieve values from the database.
4. Create database structure and schema.
5. Pray that client doesn't change requirements the day before release.
6. Come up with release schedule for future releases.
7. Cry under my desk when client complains that something isn't working right and demands a patch.
8. Revise code, schema, and test cases as new scenarios come up.

-fossilera

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
why do you need the development cycle of a database driven application, sounds like homework. what should your database driven application do? SQL would be a abvious choice...

LOL It's not homework... I graduated college back in May haha. We never really focused on Databases and programming together. We had a database class and various programming classes. I never got to actually put them together.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Here is a good tutorial that uses java with GWT and MySQL. It's a little long but it's pretty comprehensive.

GWT + mysql web app tutorial

I used a program called MAMP to set up the mysql server for me so that I could use phpmyadmin to help design it and fill it with data. There are more options besides java too. Look into the angular.js tutorial at w3schools or maybe try and set up a ruby on rails app too I don't have any tutorials off hand for that but their documentation is good.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The first tools you'll need are a pen and paper and spend some time talking to the people who'll be using it to get an idea of whats actually required and how they want it otherwise you can waste loads of time and money building stuff that does not meet the customers expectations.

Once you've worked out what you want to store the next question is platform and speccing hardware/software that can meet those spec's

then you code the stuff knowing that in theory you're sorted.....

and since you're a new graduate get used to the phrase "its what i asked for but not what i wanted"

Also take your time....good code takes time like everything in life.

new topics

top topics

join