It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Stopped Beleiving In Witches, When's The Bibles Turn?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The bible / religion is just an attempt to give reason to things that mankind cannot understand.

If you really look at the bible, does it not seem laughable? Just as witches do now adays, to most people.

Back in the day, we didn't understand, so we had to find some reason for weird occurances, witchcraft / black magic, of course that must be the answer! kinda relative to the bible don't you think?

The earth to me, is a freak accident. In the billions and billions of galaxies and solar systems, there has to be atleast 1 anomoly from the norm.

(Maybe our universe is actually just someones carpet? Once you get small enough everything looks the same. Just different scales.)

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
what created dna then? or rna? or even matter? freak occurances too?

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
You proved my point, Mankind does not have an answer... must be God.

I dont have the answer. You dont have the answer. Let's say a bunch of tiny gorillas about the size of an apple created the world. Maybe a purple leprichaun with his hair on fire created the world? ... Just as feasible as a higher being.

[Edit: Had to get my sarcastic bits in there]

[edit on 22-1-2005 by _BLiND_]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   

The bible / religion is just an attempt to give reason to things that mankind cannot understand.

Thats your take on it. The bible is many things to many people.

If you really look at the bible, does it not seem laughable?

ummm, not really.

Just as witches do now adays, to most people.

Are you refering to wiccans? Not a good idea if you are. Theres alot of them creeping around on here. My wife is one. Watch out for them! They know a thing or two...

The earth to me, is a freak accident. In the billions and billions of galaxies and solar systems, there has to be atleast 1 anomoly from the norm.

In what sense exactly? Theres only about a bajillion planets out there. Do you really think that ours is only one hospitible to life and able to produce it? By the way, anomaly means deviating from the norm. So what you are saying is that you think the "norm" for the rest of outer space is nothing. Its complety void of any life what so ever. We are it.

By that measure, you should have nothing but the upmost faith in God. You should read the bible day in and day out. For we then, are the "chosen ones"

Me personally, I feel that bible is a good moral compass. Thats all. Nothing more, nothing less. Do I believe in Jesus? Yes. Do I believe that stories told in the bible have been changed over the years, both intentionaly and accidently? Yes. Is the general message the same? Yes.

Do unto others, and ye shall have done unto thee....

Get it?

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
You do know that alot of the stories in the bible are just that stories. Its the message your supposed to take literaly not the story. The big ones like Moses and Jesus are the real real ones. There are still people that believe there are witches. Although they are kinda dumb.

(Maybe our universe is actually just someones carpet? Once you get small enough everything looks the same. Just different scales.)

Maybe the universe is Gods "carpet" as you put it.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I didn't mean wicca, as in the religion. I meant witches, the thought in my head was of the Salem Witch Hunt. We stopped beleiving in those pointed hatted, black cat totting witches.

Beleiving in witches and finding it false, is the same as the bible. Just an old story made up in an attempt to have a reason for everything.

who says that there can only be 1 anomoly, I did say "atleast". The norm being gas giants or frozen rocks. Maybe anomoly is the wrong word...

The bible is a good moral compass....but nothing more. Watch "barney & friends" a few times, and there is your moral compass. I do not beleive Jesus existed, he is a "king arthur" character to me. If it is said and repeated enough times eventually the masses will beleive it to be fact.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This is going to be a good thread. The only problem is, that its 330 am here. I am tired as hell, but fear not. I am going to sleep and when i wake up, I shall hit this post first thing. Gnight for now....

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BLiND_

who says that there can only be 1 anomoly, I did say "atleast". The norm being gas giants or frozen rocks.

It never said that Earth was the only planet with life on it. I dont remember reading that anywhere. Whenever someone asks a question like this or how come they didnt mention dinosaurs its because people back then wouldnt have understood it.

If you dont believe in Jesus thats your decision. Evan though its probably documented somewhere in Roman history.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Two words, "Random Convergence".

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
How is it not very well thought out?

Witches - Fairytale, God - Fairytale.

We just stopped beleiving in 1.

Witches was just an example, I could have put dragons or Seamonsters (excluding Nessy, and other less famous legends)

[edit on 22-1-2005 by _BLiND_]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Could you please not call my religion a fairy tail. Its not a nice thing to do. I dont go to hindus and say you were never reincarnated. Its just not a nice thing to say.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Witches may be in fairytales but that doesn't make them fairtales themselves. The misconception of a witch is what is in fairytales.

I think that man blamed anything they didn't understand on gods/goddesses/deities, or anything else.

But people can't really explain how the deities themselves came into existance. Nor can they explain how we did. Like what was before the big bang? What was before god? How did the two come into existance? So how did we come into existance?

We still have find some way to explain odd occurances and questions. But the answer isn't always accepted among people.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I see hoenstly what you are trying to get at, and i agree with you 100 percent. But its not as easy as u make it out to be, the sad thing is that christianity and islam are both growing.....
Now i wont slag on anyone religion, but religion is out of date. The christian church use to teach people that the sky was like a dome, and the stars were hanging off the roof, this is the only way they could explain the sky, and as we now know that is a ridiculous teaching. Christianity has always played on the "how can u be sure?" arguement, always playing on peoples ignorance. In todays modern world with science explaining the universe and the world, christianity is now playing on what we dont know again, anything we cant explain is the work of god. Yes its a very frustrating point trying to persuade a fanatic christian that maybe just maybe their god acturly didnt do anything. Anywho the only way i can see religion dieing out is when a theory of mine comes in to place.
Now any person with a logical and fair mind can see the merit of my theory.
I think that religion should be absolutely illegal to anyway under 18, and only scientfic theories should be teached to them, and if they ask how the world was created, they are told what we do know through science and if they ask somethign that cant be explain they get the simply reply of "we dont know how or why" then when the reach the age of 18, which is considerd in most places the age when a child becomes a adult, they are given every religious text they want. The bible, koran, torah, kabbala, the satanic bible, hindu texts, buddism texts, etc etc. Then at this age where there mind are not impressionable and they can make a decision for themselves on what they believe, not what is pushed into their brains at a young age. So if all of these religions really are so enlighten, and so "right" then this person who has no initial contact with any belief of any sort can decide for themselves what to believe.
If this could be applied to every newborn on this planet from today, i gurantee that all organised religions will become little cults. The one god figure that has been worshiped for so long will become like the paegen gods. This is the day that humanity will take its next step in evolution and that all citizens on this planet will open their minds to new things they never thought was concievable, and they world will see a new age of knowledge. This will become the humanity golden age.
Yet with people like GW in charge of the most powerful country in the world....doesnt look like the golden age is comming anytime to soon.....even though it is my one wish to break the chains on humanity from religion, just wish it would be in my life time.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
We Stopped Believing in Witches, When's the Bibles Turn?

Originally posted by _BLiND_

From my perspective the 'witch' idea is still alive
what else explains the 'Harry Potter' success...
the witch stereotype/character is only in a lesser profile mode right now
as the wizard, specifically a young wizard, has captured
the imagination of both the parents & the tweens.

Sorry, the Bible will continue right along,
there's been all sorts of new & targeted & specialized
bible presentations marketed to diverse audiences in
the last 40 years...& that trend will continue- especially
with the President Bush brand of Geo-politics & calling !
Theres bound to be a 'US World Mission' bible forthcoming

all religions, have ~2000 years of record in refining the product
back-filling the holes, rectifing & mitigating loopholes,
then launching important themes from the old books which are
periodically relevent (or made to appear topical)
which generates a cycle of public interest and most importantly
Sales!!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Stopped believing in Witches!? Fairy tail!? I suggest you do some studying before posting because you obviously do not know what your talking about. I am a Witch, I am not a fairy tail.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
No, the bible is NOT laughable. Actually it is very interesting. Especially the old testament.

Wang, you *are* slagging on other's religions. I always find it so ironic that those that are most (at least in their own minds) "tolerant" and/or open are the very first to condemn anything they do not believe in.

I believe that Christianity and its tenents are correct. The bible may not be 100% literal, but I believe what is written in there. Even if not exactly written. The concepts are the same today as 1000 years ago. Faith is believing in whatever it is you believe in. Even if it doesn't make 100% sense to everyone. Faith is not having PROOF.

I respect what anyone else believes and would not dog on anyone's beliefs. Doesn't mean I share them. Doesn't mean there is not validity to them. Doesn't mean someone else's beliefs are stupid.

Though, to be true to myself, I cannot AGREE with things that directly conflict with what I believe. I can respect the person who believes differently, and not try and take them apart.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Stopped believing in Witches!? Fairy tail!? I suggest you do some studying before posting because you obviously do not know what your talking about. I am a Witch, I am not a fairy tail.

Are you offended LadyV? I wonder if Christians feel the same way when you dish it out. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Sorry I had to rib you a bit.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
how did i slag on other religions?
I just stated my opinion on my beleifs on society and the world, yet a chrisitan can come on here and quote from the bible all he wants, but as soon as someone talks agaisnt religion he is slagging on them. Im sorry if i offended anyone, but it offends me when people quote religious texts and say that i need to be saved by god.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Are you offended LadyV? I wonder if Christians feel the same way when you dish it out. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Sorry I had to rib you a bit.

There's bit of difference here and I do think you know/see it! He's is not say, as I usually do..."Just because you believe it, doesn't make it true". I do not state my faith as fact"....it is my belief system and while I believe it with all my heart....it doesn't make it "truth" I have never called "all" Christians awful/bad/terrible....I have said that most "I" know are....anyway...I think you get the understanding of what I'm saying. Oh yeah...and it's too damn early to be ribbing me...I haven't even gotten through my first cup of coffee before getting ready for work, and I have pulled my hip out and I'm in pain & have to work anyway
.....have some compassion....

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Oh yeah...and it's too damn early to be ribbing me...I haven't even gotten through my first cup of coffee before getting ready for work, and I have pulled my hip out and I'm in pain & have to work anyway
.....have some compassion....

I agree it's way too early for me too. I didn't get any sleep last night and coffee isn't helping yet. Sorry to hear you hurt your hip, be careful at work. Hope you get better soon. One request though. Can we argue later on today?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join