It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Sights "Doomsday" Asteroid on Sept. 7th

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antwonzilla
Time to call Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck!

And Clint Eastwood too. Oh and Morgan Freeman.
Let's get all the experts on this.

And John Cusack will be on triage. Because there will be injuries and impossible situations and the simple man is always the one to go to.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well if a life destroying asteroid were announced, what do you think the average person without a family would do? They would do whatever they want. Life ending = no rules = riots and chaos before it ends for everyone.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: digitalbluco
Well if a life destroying asteroid were announced, what do you think the average person without a family would do? They would do whatever they want. Life ending = no rules = riots and chaos before it ends for everyone.

Strange philosophy, methinks. What good would it do anybody to riot or create chaos in such circumstances? I would certainly not do such nonsensical things. Also, what has family to do with it? I mean: it's not that being a good family father makes you immortal.. weird.

What would I do in such circumstances? Well, simple, just continue as if nothing would happen. Perhaps mow the lawn, stuff like that. And if the end comes, I hope it will be swift (but that's a hope I hold for everybody)..

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The common theory that a large asteroid wiped out the largest, most dominate species that ever roamed the earth, the dinosaurs..

Makes the ELE scare, well less scary.

We are still here, and evolved after such incident. Flora and fauna are perfectly abundant. The oceans are healthy, the forests grow and give, the mountains stand tall and strong.

There is nothing to worry about. Death and extinction is natural comings of nature. One cannot ignore it, cannot avoid it, cannot deny it.

One moment, the earth will be evaporated by its parent via supernova, and all thoughts would cease to exist.

It's nature. It's how life and death work.

The earth will be, nature will always continue its course, it's inevitable.

Now if such a thing were to happen, I'd embrace my last moments, remind myself of the things I'm grateful and thankful for within my small life, and happily carry on the great divide.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I can't imagine the chaos that would erupt around the globe if the general public found out.

meh. God wouldnt let it happen.

Jesus would come back and save us...again.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

here's a fun little toy, you can make it as large as you want, and almost put it's impact in your back yard. have fun.

Impact Earth

ETA: according to this, although there will be some damage in the immediate area. it will hardly do much to the whole earth.

edit on 18-9-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Looks to be about 1 15th the distance between earth and mercury if that diagram is to scale...... i think were okay for now...as well its 1.2 meters... its a city killer.
edit on PMAmerica/Chicago120209pm by Aeshma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Let's make a scale model of this encounter, shall we?

On my shelf, I have a standard 12-inch (305mm) globe of the Earth.
On this scale, our Moon would be the size of a baseball - 3 inches (76mm).
The Moon would be 30.1 feet (9.17m) from my globe of the Earth.
Assuming that Asteroid 2009 ES is 300m (984 feet) in diameter, then at this scale it would ~ 6 microns (0.006 millimeters) across, or about the size of a human blood cell.
Passing the Earth at 18.8 lunar distances, at this scale the cell-sized asteroid would pass my 1-foot globe at a distance of ~ 566 feet (173.5 meters).

I'm not worried.

What is mildly interesting to scientists is that next year 2009 ES will pass within .004 AU of Mars. This equates to 684,000 Km

Referenced to the above scale model, Mars would be a globe ~6 inches (!52mm) in diameter.
Mars' moon Phobos (0.6mm in diameter) would be just 5.4 inches above the surface of the Mars globe.
Mars' moon Deimos (0.3mm in diameter) would be ~ 19 inches above the surface of the Mars globe.
The blood-platelet-sized asteroid will pass the Mars globe at a distance of 86.5 feet (26.4 meters).

That's a long way, but it will cause a very slight perturbation to the asteroid's orbit. Astronomers are interested in what that effect will be. As you can see from the scale of things, it's still nothing to worry about. It's merely interesting because it helps us better model interactions with other, potentially more threatening objects that we will hopefully detect through continued searching.

Hope this helps

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Doesn't that show the closest approach is 9/9/16?

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It is the ones they dont know about or wont talk about we need to worry about.

i am certain a potential ELE or even a smaller object confirmed to be an impactor would
absolutely not announced due to the widespread panic and breakdown of law and order
that would quickly ensue! the "authoritys" would not want that as it would interrupt established
plans to relocate key personnel and equipment to "safe" locations.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Well Morgan Freeman was god in Bruce almighty maybe hes all we need!

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

No. Close approach this time was on Sept. 5.

For close approach specs you want to look here:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

It should also be pointed out (maybe) that the designation of the object indicates that it was discovered in 2009. The Chinese did not discover it, they recovered it.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No. Close approach this time was on Sept. 5.

For close approach specs you want to look here:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

It should also be pointed out (maybe) that the designation of the object indicates that it was discovered in 2009. The Chinese did not discover it, they recovered it.

So what's all the worry when does it return?

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
There isn't really much worry at this point.
Don't be sucked in by a headline. Did you look at the chart?
edit on 9/19/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShayneJUK
It is the ones they dont know about or wont talk about we need to worry about.

i am certain a potential ELE or even a smaller object confirmed to be an impactor would absolutely not announced due to the widespread panic and breakdown of law and order that would quickly ensue! the "authoritys" would not want that as it would interrupt established plans to relocate key personnel and equipment to "safe" locations.

NEOs don't usually get discovered or anounced by the "authorities". That's the job of astronomers, many of whom are independent amateurs. They wouldn't keep quiet what would be the (literally) earth-shattering news.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

here's a fun little toy, you can make it as large as you want, and almost put it's impact in your back yard. have fun.

Impact Earth

ETA: according to this, although there will be some damage in the immediate area. it will hardly do much to the whole earth.

For a 300 meter-wide asteroid composed of dense rock, the impact energy would be 1,640 Megatons, and the resulting crater would be 5 km wide and 480 meters deep. That's pretty powerful (definitely a city-destroyer), but not an ELE for the Earth or our civilisation.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

the point of concern over this asteroid is that it will pass much much closer to mars before it reaches us and when it passes mars we cant be certain how its orbit might be altered it could bring it into striking range of us.

also, yes its passed by before even as recent as two mondays ago on sept 5th but as this link shows and as all things with orbits go, they come back...

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

our danger date is 2017-Oct-18 which is when it will pass within 0.004 au of mars which is 371,823 miles which is 598,391 Km

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

I just hope nasa or who ever, actually do have a plan. I believe the time will come one day when this will be a straight on collision not a close call. otherwise the lucky ones would be the first ones to go.
edit on 21-9-2016 by Antwonzilla because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join