It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Sights "Doomsday" Asteroid on Sept. 7th

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
On September 7, 2016, one of the largest telescopes in Asia, observed asteroid 2009ES, which is classified as a potential "killer" asteroid due to its size and proximity to earth.

on the evening of 7, with Asia's largest "earth sentry" said the 1.2 m-diameter Neos telescope, Purple Mountain Observatory, Chinese Academy of Sciences in Xuyi Observatory researchers first observed asteroid 2009ES. This asteroid is listed as one of the potential threats to the earth by the international astronomical community.

www.bestchinanews.com...

The staff at the Purple Mountain Observatory, was asked by the International Astronomical Unions Minor Planet Center(MPC), to observe this asteroid on Sept. 5.

This is the first time that the observatory has captured images of the asteroid. However, eight other observatories from around the world have tracked and imaged the asteroid. Read more: en.yibada.com...

en.yibada.com...

One of the observatory's staff, Zhao Haibin, said:

that the images they have captured will help astronomers around keep track of the trajectory traveled by the asteroid. 2009ES is one of the 1,640 asteroids and other minor bodies the MPC classified as potentially coming close to the Earth. He explained that the trajectories of asteroids could be affected by the gravitational pull of planet like Mars, which is why it is crucial to continuously keep track of its path. Read more: en.yibada.com...

en.yibada.com...

I think the word "crucial" is an understatement based on the diagram below, which I uploaded from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory's Small-Body Database Browser. When you look at Asteroid 2009ES's path on this orbit diagram(blue line), you can see just how close it comes to earth:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

I'm glad NASA and other International organizations are tracking these potential "killer" asteroids, but one has to wonder if they would actually disclose information on an imminent impact. I can't imagine the chaos that would erupt around the globe if the general public found out.

Here's an interesting video I found on YouTube concerning Asteroid 2009ES:

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Where would people run and panic too though? If it was an humanity killing asteroid, if you managed to escape the initial impact how long would humanity be able to last trying to survive the aftermath. I know if the impact was going to kill me instantly what would be the point in trying to run. I'd probably sit in my garden with a smoke and a beer and welcome my ending with open arms.. I'm just weird like that though.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Awesome thread, many thanks for the info S&F

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Thats One Huuuuge NEO

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

According to some guy on C2C, there will be many more like this in the near future. He claims they're being pushed into near Earth orbits by the approaching of the planet, (or is it a dwarf black sun), Niburu. When Niburu arrives, the earth will undergo a 24 degree pole shift and all but 500 million people will be wiped out. He said, we can "bank on it", but.....didn't say which bank would survive. If NASA knows about this, they aren't talking, but it may explain the recent deep bunker craze of the uber rich.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Is this one gonna come closer than Apophis? I think the closest orbit of Apophis is in 2029?.....2036......?

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 18-9-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
150 meters , does not mention speed nor composition . At 18.8 L.D. Absolutely not an ELE .
Good scare for folks not in the know , though

link   
a reply to: lostbook

According to NASA, Apophis will come as close as 18,300miles from the surface of the Earth in 2029 and will be visible to the naked eye. That's pretty dam close!
edit on 18-9-2016 by lostbook because: word add

link   
Why would news articles say it's miles wide? The JPL page gives its absolute magnitude as 20.5, which translates to the diameter somewhere between 200 and 400 meters. It would still cause a lot of destruction if it hits, but hardly an Extinction Event.
edit on 18-9-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
They can put away all the telescopes and gadgets. It doesn't make a bit of difference if a ELE object is spotted today or next year. Until we have colonies on the Moon and Mars, with the ability to move large amounts of people and supplies there quickly, this is just a game of "We need more grant money".
Get Us Off This Planet or it will be the grave of Mankind.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Time to call Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck!

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm not worried about the ones we see, what about the two that passed recently that no one knew about or captured until they were in the process of passing us,

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Jedite

Very true we need more eyes in the sky for this kind of thing

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Its not the ones we see coming, rather the ones coming out of the Sun that just 'show up' unannounced.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace
Greetings. I did a little more research and found that the size is estimated to be 269 meters.

K09E00S 2009 ES (arc=3 opp, H=20.5 ~269m, radar) from SONEAR (Sept. 7.08-09p3) and Eschenberg Obs. (Sept. 7.79p7)

www.hohmanntransfer.com...

According to the information on this webpage, there are many objects that are being tracked that are less than ten lunar distances (LD) from earth. The trajectories of these asteroids can also be affected by the gravitational pull of a planet, which could decrease this distance.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Sixthy miles wide to wipe out life as we know it i hope thats not the only ones we are looking for
Source www.insidescience.org...

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

I'm just weird like that though.

I don't think you're weird. The last thing I would want is to survive a catastrophic event and than struggle with the heartache of lost ones and at the same time try to survive everyday. Really what's the point of living? Life is hard as it is with all our technological advancements. The lucky ones are the people who will die at the time of impact.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join