It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Every Day Carry (EDC), when it's all you got...do you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
First, I'm an EDC addict because I've lived and worked in a whole lot of places where you only have what you've got. And, what you've got is the difference between survival/comfort and misery. Did I mention I USE my EDC stuff?

There's so many things I like, I think are cool, but I always ask myself if I would realistically ever use a particular item or piece of gear. I'm a strong believer in...if you're not going to use it (ever) why carry it?. Consequently, I'm interested to hear from other 'addicts', what uses have you put your EDC to, what shortcomings did you have and what successes were you pleased with.

So, to my storie(s)...

I guess my biggest one is a 'business' trip I was on one time to a very remote place in the middle east (northern central Africa). Upon arrival, it was just complete desert. I knew it was going to be remote, but had no idea just HOW remote. Of course all my luggage was lost; I figured something would get lost... but I didn't think EVERYTHING would be missing. Well it was.

I've always prided myself (after several million miles of travel), "okay, I'll just go buy what I need." Well, not so much in this place. All the shops were closed...forever! Just venturing out in the local streets was a recipe for needing advanced trauma medical care. (i.e. don't EVEN do it!).

My baggage lost, with no real hope of ever finding it, I was 200 miles from where I arrived. Our "home" was what I call a 'C-can" (ocean going multi-modal container) stacked three high. It was HOT; I think the surface of the Sun is cooler! (at least they had A/C inside, but this is another story). No private rooms here, nope! Two men to a container, bunk beds. Inside the container it was about absolute zero, and outside it was 4,000F. There was a bunkbed, a small desk, a microwave and a tiny refrigerator.

All I had was what was in my pack. That was it! My roommate lit up when I showed up (he was Marine Corps)..."Whatcha got? I'm STARVING!!" I dumped my pack out on the bed and we started going through it...(a couple breakfast bars, some soup, an MRE, a bunch of med supplies (former EMT). I threw him the MRE; he really did look hungry. "Oh, No, no, no....we're going to make a FEAST out of this...let's just heat up some soup and eat these breakfast bars!!" he said. I knew there was a commissary, but I hadn't been to it yet. So we ate some soup and Kind bars...and took a nap in the sub-zero container.

"WOO HOO!!! An actual FULL MRE!!! WOW!!" was what I woke up to from my nap. "We're gonna' eat GOOD tonight!!!", and he darted out the door. He came back about 5 minutes later with about 4 other guys all with handfuls of MRE pouches. They had this really nicely done alcohol stove made from a pop can and also a large covered pot. We mixed a bunch of those MRE's together, cooked it up on the catwalk outside the door and had an absolutely fabulous meal.

"The food at the commissary sucks", my roommate said, "It all tastes like diesel fuel, and breakfast is not edible!"

And one day, you will use your EDC. Mark my words. Only carry what you need, but need what you carry.

edit...after 3 months I never did get my luggage. Wound up looking like all the other military there. It was all I had or could get. Used every single thing I'd brought, every single drop.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I keep a fixed blade knife on my belt, and I use it every single day. I can't even walk around the house without reaching for it anymore.
I also carry a small led flashlight that sees nearly as much use.

That's all I seem to keep on hand, and it seems to get me by.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I always have a knife, flashlight (nightshift for far too long), a pen, a book, some water, and some sorta pogie bait.

link   
I would love to know what you keep in your edc pack. Do you have certain packs for different situations/locations? You seem to have been everywhere/do you have a pack list for when you settle down? Thanks.

link   
On me, I carry 4 things : A Glock 19, a folding knife with a 3 inch blade and a flashlight. It's one of those little retina burner, single LEDs, but it's great when you need a light... and I always carry a lighter. Never know when you'll need a flame.
In my truck is a whole 'nother story. Breakfast bars, a multi tool, 2 more, larger, LED flashlights, candy, etc, in the console [ I've got a friggin huge middle console ] and in the back [ extended cab ] enough tools to take the engine apart and enough straps, chains, bungee cords and rope to start my own S&M dungeon. A 2 ton floor jack, jack stands and a speed wrench.
I always carry bottled water.
edit on 18-9-2016 by DAVID64 because: I carry FOUR things

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Gosh, I have multiple packs, but if I had to generalize this is what I carry most. It basically falls into two categories; travel and local (but they're not that much different in content, just quantity).

I'm a former EMT so medical is one of my primary concerns. I carry lots of 1st aid supplies including advanced medical gear. A typical go pack would weigh about 20-25 lbs and have the following contents...
- Sweater
- watch cap
- 5x7 tarp
- basic food (dried soup, breakfast bars, oatmeal, etc.)
- metal cup
- Frisbee (a million uses, none of them games)
- Advanced surgical pack w/ EMT shears, bandage cutters, forceps, clamps and sutures.
- 4x4 guaze (lots)
- Bandaids 1"x3" (50)
- 2" cling wrap tape (2 rolls)
- 1" cling wrap tape (4 rolls)
- 1" cloth tape (5 rolls)
- major trauma dressing
- alcohol wipes
- iodine wipes
- Kerlix (3 rolls)
- chest seal
- airway
- tourniquet (2, mechanical and pressure)
- surgical gloves (5 pair)
- OTC meds (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, diphenhydramine, anti-diarrheal, etc.)
- lume sticks (red, yellow and green) (for triage)
- triage tapes (green, yellow, red and black striped)
- sharpie pens
- elastic bandages
- hemostatic clot
- triple antibiotic ointment (20 packs)
- poncho (2)
- ground sheet (1 general, 2 sterile)
- survival blanket (3) (mylar-single use) (for others)
- various load bearing carabiners and straps for evac.
- all manner of lights (headlamps, flashlights, etc)
- batteries
- 35 degree light bivy bag (for me)
- water purification (tablets and filter)
- extra sunglasses
- goggles (clear)
- ear plugs
- lighters and basic fire stuff
- cordage (about 200' milspec 550 paracord)
- knives (1 fixed and 2 folding)
- machete (actually a parang)

I'm sure there's some stuff I'm forgetting, but it takes months to pack a bag just right for this kind of thing. The last time I took my go bag apart for pictures it covered an entire California king sized bed (but it all fits). It's taken years to get everything down to manageable sizes and weights.

I'm sure I'll think of more (or I could just go open the damn bag). When I do, I'll post.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I always have a small leatherman, large leatherman, swiss army knife, little LED light (5 leds), matches, lighter, magnifying glass card (card the banks give out that slips in your wallet), Aux cable, USB phone charger with car jack and wall jack, handball, sun glasses, plastic spoon, packet of sugar, salt, small master lock, headphones, wallet, passport, and a small family shield a LEO friend gave me, keys, collapsable umbrella.

All that fits into a first responders pouch I wear around my waist. I also hang about 8 different sizes of climber clips of various types off of the outer straps. Also a watch with red LED built into a clip.

My back pack:
has a camel pack I keep in the back pack, penut butter jar, a lunch bag with 2 fruits, a sandwhich and a gatoraid, 1 MRE.

I also keep 2 sets of work gloves, hat, spare socks, jeans and a T shirt in case I have to change after work, headlamp, duct tape.

tool bag in back pack with assorted tools: pliers, screw drivers, allen torx and hex keys sets, hammer, ratchet set, wire cutters, adjustable wrench, box cutter, zip ties, and other small tools I cant remember.

A high tension strap about 8 ft long, another strap with tension buckle about 4 ft long.

pens, small purel dispenser, more lighters and matches, clip board, work papers pouch, deodorant bar, 2 AA Batteries, handful of alcohol wipes, bandaids....

I also have a little pocket on the back pack with my travel nick nacks. sentimental stuff like a feather, old coin, stuff like that. That stuff has been with me for years. Its what I have picked up over the years on my travels.

There is other stuff but as I use it, Or lend it out I take a while to replace it. Thats the basics though.

edit on 9 18 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Oh, there's one other thing; in my world there's really no such thing as a "settle down" list/bag. My EDC breaks up into three categories. 1. Home, 2. local travel (driving) and 3. Away. Each element is designed to lead into another. In other words, my 'travel' bag is designed to get me home. My 'away' bag is designed to get me to my 'travel' bag, and then home. It seems complicated, but it's really not. There are permutations at every level, like for example, at my office (which would be considered 'away' I have a pretty advanced set up). And, at home we have a very advanced set up (but we raise cattle so it's not always humans we have to be thinking about).

Remember, you always have to keep everything fresh (i.e. expiration dates), and rotate through stuff. And that's really the main thing; nothing is static. Even the seasons will cause you to change the elements of what you carry.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
My EDC as I'm walking out the door every day is a 3 inch pocket knife, a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield, my keys, iPod touch (which is loaded with all of the information I might ever need) and my wallet.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
An EDC kit is a great idea. There was a post on ATS about an Altoids sized kit that drew my attention. So I put one together and fit some 50 items in it.

I measured the Altoids tin and found it was 3 & 3/4 wide, 2 & 3/8 high and 1 thick. I was able to fit the following 51 items into the tin.
1 thirty gallon black plastic garbage bag (works as a roof, rain poncho and part of solar still)
1 small 3 blade pen knife (cutting wood, skinning game, etc.)
1 plastic magnifying glass with 3X and 6X lens (fire starter)
1 toothbrush with shortened handle (dental health)
1 four meter roll of waxed dental floss (dental health, use as heavy thread)
1 guitar string snare with swivel attached (trapping small game)
30' - 40' of 20lb test fishing line (fishing and snares)
8 fishing hooks in 4 different sizes 3 different sized snap swivels and 1 large swivel 3 twist ties (multi-uses)
1 small zip lock plastic baggy for fishing stuff
2 large heavy gauge sewing needles (for heavy material and leather)
6 X 12 sheet of aluminum foil (reflective signal, part of solar still, fish lure)
11 band aids (1 large 4 , 2 large 2 , 4 small 2 strips, and 4 small butterflies)
12 OTC or Prescription Pills (2 laxatives, 2 anti-diarrheal, 4 water purifying,
4 pain relievers)
1 Sani-wipe sheet
1 sheet (8.5 X 11) with first aid tips and illustrations of simple animal traps.

I like your list for your EDC kit and will put it in my notes, thanks.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thanks. That was quite detailed and daunting-thinking of making one for my son who still lives in MN and was a Boy Scout Eagle. I worry about him but he loves it there. People that live there know how to cope but things can happen. Yes, I am a smother mother worrier. Thanks again; I'll have to look up most of the items-that was impressive and overwhelming.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Wow-how ingenious-what would you add for that cold Michigan weather? or would that cover it all?

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Well, you can only fit so much into an Altoids tin. It is good to remember that you will be (or should be) wearing clothing appropriate to the weather while carrying the tin. It would be good to have clothes with many pockets for carrying other things you might want to have on you at all times, like food and water for instance. You can't always carry a jock bag or wear a backpack, but a small fanny pack and a money belt could work too. What you're wearing could have dual purposes as well, like a belt made of braided leather, twine or rope, etc.

new topics

top topics

join