It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tsunami-hit Thais told: Buy six Airbus A380 planes or face EU tariffs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
FredT, I was going to reply to you with a sane answer, but its obvious that you are bigotted and will forever be biased. I refuse to discuss this or any other Airbus/EU related issue with you again. Oh, and 97% tariff certainly is higher than 6%.

That is certainly your choice and I could just as easily point the bigot finger at you and claim likewise. However, I for one prefer not to inject a Strawman into things. in what way have the fact here been misstated? Yes or now, did Airbus vis a vie the EU basically tell the Thai's buy our planes or else? Did you read the whole article? The EU has made a habit of this behavior. Ask the thais about the other product mentioned?

Quite frankly im dissapointed. Rather than try to fight facts with facts you go off on a tangent about me being bigoted :shk: If thats the best you have then run with it I guess.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Can you explain the difference between EU policy and U.S. foreign policy? as if the U.S. doesn't do this kind of deals with developing countries???

Can say for sure, but if there ever was deal that smacked of blackmail (Ie. Buy the 747-400 or well levy tarrifs on say vodka, Im sure the EU, papers in Europe, and the media here would hav ebeen all over it like flies on stink. If indeed the US government has engaged in this level of activites, then I would be the first to say it is wrong.

This is out and out extorsion. If they want to supply Thai International with A380's then make the case for them. Don't dangle tarrifs and the like. Im not sure what is more concerning: 1) The blase attitude about this, as if they do not care that this is out in the media, or the fact that they actually do it?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The whole point of this was that the EU is using thier levearage to push products on the Thai's. The fact that they are still pushing this after the tsunami makes it worse. But really now pre or post tsunami its clearly extorsion and clearly paint Airbus and the EU is a whole new light in regards to business practices. So despite the fact that the governments of the EU swear they have divested themselves of AIRBUS, its too hard to turn thier backs on the biggest jobs program the world has seen.

First of all I agree that the current EU-Airbus agenda is a shame for us but "trade wars" are a common thing since globalization took place. The thai comments are just using the catastrophe to make the EU look bad by doing something that's common for all western nations. Without catastrophe this one would have never been here on ATS. The Thai's are using the worst catastrophe of mankind to defend theirself from the trade war pressure. Shame on both.

Some fun: www.a380.com

<< 1   >>

join