It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ higher-ups now have to approve any operation in which agents plan to impersonate journalists.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
That's right folks! FBI agents are allowed to impersonate reporters, journalists, and someone making a documentary.

Here are the details: oig.justice.gov...

The review of this practice started when an FBI agent posed as an AP reporter in 2007 to track down a 15-year-old student suspected of sending multiple bomb threats to a high school in Seattle. www.businessinsider.com...

The justice department found that the FBI did nothing wrong.

But....now, they want to be able to be involved in any investigation where an agent poses as a reporter. hmmmm....

I have mixed thoughts about this ruling. This super partisan DOJ....a big concern because many Americans have lost trust in them since the Hillary Clinton fiasco. How can they be investigated if they oversee the investigators. But, then, we need agencies and methods to keep us secure and to make sure nobody oversteps their boundaries in law enforcement and investigation.

Anybody trying to pass themselves off as a reporter or journalist may be an FBI agent reporting to the DOJ.

Do you ever feel like nothing is real anymore. Everybody is posing as something they are not? Your thoughts about it. I read the whole report from the justice department.

edit on 17-9-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Usually it would scream entrapment. Unfortunately certain 3 letter agencies dictate the laws in which they are bound to.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Of course the higher ups need to know all-of-a-sudden.

The jealous Administration can't take a chance that something might be uncovered about a political "ally".

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

What about all the asshats that are not from the FBI who are currently pretending to be journalists? CNN comes to mind, but there are others.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

So true. So true.

But, then again, maybe half the CNN "reporters" ARE FBI agents.

(Remember: Our government is now allowed to use propaganda on its own people! What better way to do it!)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Sad part is the politics of this only play every 4 years. The reality of allowing entrapment continues.

A disgruntled teen using a proxy server to make bomb threats indeed should be investigated, but the outcome is usually much more severe than the actual purpose.

it's usually just a kid that learned how to use proxy servers and wants a day or two off school.

Opening the door to find the person only allows further intrusions by ABC agencies to erode privacy.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
That would be undercover work, not entrapment.

Nothing is wrong with this practice (legally that is). Ethically, you could make an argument about it.

But, if your doing something illegal . . . you probably shouldn't be advertising to the media. Just saying there. And if you are not doing anything wrong, then you do not have to worry about the undercovers.

Now, if an agent went undercover and suggested that someone do something illegal and then busts them for it . . . then THAT is entrapment.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

I'm not even saying it is illegal.

But, as Vector99 said:

but the outcome is usually much more severe than the actual purpose.

And sure enough, the DOJ comes along and says the FBI did nothing wrong, but from here on out, we want to be in on it. If this DOJ weren't such partisan hacks, this new ruling might go unnoticed.

But, as Vector implied, the outcome of this ruling may be one more power to keep the FBI from straying too close to places the DOJ doesn't want them to go.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
yup, more control over other agencies . . . pretty soon balance of powers will be a thing of the past.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

That would be undercover work, not entrapment.

Undercover work in general borders along the lines of entrapment. Is it necessary? Absolutely. However, giving a free reign pass to undercover work being a guise to bypass entrapment is faulty.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

The time that the "DOJ higher-ups" chose to act is very suspicious to me.

As if it is to cover hillary's rear in case it was about to happen to her (getting suckered into telling on herself while being questioned by a fed posing as a reporter.)

Timing is everything,some say.

I just have zero trust in the current leadership of the doj-especially after their meeting on the plane with bill to cover hillary.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Lol,"clinton" is spelled with 7 letters.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

We need NCOA to recruit its Sgt Majors for emergency oversight support.
IN ALL phases of government.
WITH termination powers...

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Picklesneeze

Lol,"clinton" is spelled with 7 letters.

HRC is 3 letters

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Thank you-I don't know how I missed that.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

As if it is to cover hillary's rear in case it was about to happen to her (getting suckered into telling on herself while being questioned by a fed posing as a reporter.)

I just have zero trust in the current leadership of the doj-especially after their meeting on the plane with bill to cover hillary.

You're right. The timing is suspicious. That incident where the FBI posed as an AP reporter was in 2007.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

The timing is suspicious.

Well as they say, there are no coincidences when it comes to political endeavors.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

You are so right. Now...look around and see what the political climate is right now, and you may understand the timing.

edit on 17-9-2016 by queenofswords because: spelling correction

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

With the rise of independent journalism? Hell yea the DOJ and every other 3-letter agency os scared sh!tless.

Real news being reported is a hinderance of US governmental continuance, therefore it MUST be met with illegal and unconstitutional measures.

Fall in line lil soldier...yea f# that.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

We need NCOA to recruit its Sgt Majors for emergency oversight support.
IN ALL phases of government.
WITH termination powers...

Don't know, that could be dangerous Cav . . . I once had a CSM who took two weeks leave in order to road march barefoot by himself from Ft Lewis to Yakima in November prior to a FX. Some of these guys should be locked behind glass with a hammer next to it under a sign reading 'Do Not Break Unless In Case Of War'. I say again, it could be dangerous man.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join