It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Searching and returning to specific pages within a long thread without clicking through?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Hello friends,

I am reading through a very long thread which has maybe 130 pages of responses. The problem is, once I post a reply to someone my browser goes to the very end of the responses. Then, I have to click at least four at a time (the fastest to my knowledge when the browser shows 5-6 pages at a time at the top and bottom) from the beginning to get back to where I was, let's say for argument page 30.

Is there a better way to return to the exact page, such as searching within thread or seeing a list of all pages?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Go back a page on your browser.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Keep it in your mind what page you want to go back to. Take the address from your browser: www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1137294/pg1

Change the pg1 to whatever page you need. For example:

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1137294/pg30

edit on 17-9-2016 by Excallibacca because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Its a shame there isn't a way to type in the page number to automatically get directed, seems like an oversight to me, Also is there a quick way to see all replies to a post?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If you know who types the post your looking for, you could always just search their posts in that thread. It should limit the pages you have to search by a great deal.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14
Once you have posted your reply, just go "back".
That will take you first back to the editing screen where you wrote the reply, then back to the post which you replied to.
You can then continue reading from there.

edit on 17-9-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Once you have posted your reply, just go "back".
That will take you first back to the editing screen where you wrote the reply, then back to the post which you replied to.
You can then continue reading from there.

That makes sense. Thanks! I guess a side point would be, what if you have gone off and looked at other threads and so on, so this function would not be practical. I think it is a good idea to have a page search within threads.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

yeah...open ATS in 2 different tabs/browsers/winows at the same time...I do that. Ones' on the page left where it is......the other....type your response either there or cut n paste your reply in the spot you left off at where you clicked REPLY.

Laaving the one open keeps it where you left off when you click it to REPLY...

Or BOOKMARK the page before you begin composing your reply to it...it'll go back to there.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
See that little Link tack that is just left of the Reply button that you probably use a lot?Right Click that and copy the link...
That will not only take you to the page you need, but it will also make it to where the exact post is shown.
You can Copy that, then paste it into a new Tab or something similar, all according to you browser.
You can also drag the url's icon down into your Bookmark's Toolbar if you use one, I do on Firefox.

edit on 17-9-2016 by recrisp because: Spelling...

edit on 17-9-2016 by recrisp because: Added a Right click...

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I have asked about the same thing. Wouldn't it be nice if we could bookmark posts within a thread?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca
Keep it in your mind what page you want to go back to. Take the address from your browser: www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1137294/pg1

Change the pg1 to whatever page you need. For example:

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1137294/pg30

This is the best answer to be honest. You can jump from page 22 to page 122 in a mere second by way of this method.

new topics

top topics

join