It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Roman gold coin found in Jerusalem at Mt. Zion Dig , Dated to 56 CE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The coin dates back to the early days of Nero Caesar's reign and is remarkable because it's the first of its kind to be discovered in Jerusalem , it's also in very good condition bearing a well defined likeness of the Emperor.

“The coin probably came from one of the rich 2,000-year old Jewish dwellings which the UNC Charlotte team have been uncovering at the site,” said Gibson. “These belonged to the priestly and aristocratic quarter located in the Upper City of Jerusalem. Finds include the well-preserved rooms of a very large mansion, a Jewish ritual pool (mikveh) and a bathroom, both with their ceilings intact.” The image of Nero is significant in that it shows the presence of the Roman occupation and provides a clear, late date for the occupation of the residences.
There is no historical evidence that Nero ever visited Jerusalem.
publicrelations.uncc.edu...

What a great thing.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
That coin is in terrific shape for being nearly 2,000 years old. Nice find!
s&f
edit on 9/17/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wow ! It's great condition ! What a great find ....Wish I could find sown old coins ....

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It is a great thing and its in great condition.

But its rare only in the sense of its condition. I lived for years in the Mediterranean region of Italy, Greece, Egypt and Libya. Believe me, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever "rare" about Roman coinage. I own several myself. I have friends with near complete collections of coins minted under practically every Ceasar of note.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The coin is rare because it's the first of its kind to be discovered in Jerusalem.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Frankly, I find that very hard to believe, unless by "first of its kind" you mean a Nero coin; they may have been rarely found in Jerusalem.

Not to be argumentative, but roman coins were EVERYWHERE!
en.wikipedia.org...

They were simply............convenient for trade.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
That coin is in terrific shape for being nearly 2,000 years old.
s&f

Because its made of gold. Gold doesn't tarnish, rust or erode. Thats why its coined as money. Tangible and Intrinsic asset, even when thousands of years old.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Frankly, I find that very hard to believe, unless by "first of its kind" you mean a Nero coin; they may have been rarely found in Jerusalem.

The headline and claim is theirs , as they are the experts in this field I see no reason to doubt their claim.

“The coin is exceptional, because this is the first time that a coin of this kind has turned up in Jerusalem in a scientific dig. Coins of this type are usually only found in private collections, where we don’t have clear evidence as to place of origin,” said Shimon Gibson, co-director of the excavation and a visiting professor at UNC Charlotte.
publicrelations.uncc.edu...

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
That coin is in terrific shape for being nearly 2,000 years old.
s&f

Because its made of gold. Gold doesn't tarnish, rust or erode. Thats why its coined as money. Tangible and Intrinsic asset, even when thousands of years old.

Back in the days when coins were actually worth something.

Whilst I have heard of people local to me finding coins, I have never had the same fortune. There wasn't a massive Roman settlement here in Bristol, there were several Roman farms and the town of Aquae Sulis around fifteen miles away.

Nice thread Gortex, a coin found in Jerusalem from around 56 CE, amazing especially the definition of Nero.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The funny side note is, that this coin despite its age, still has maintained its value.

That is the point with gold. Value never dies. There is nothing but some ruins left of the Roman Empire. Emperor Nero appears mainly on movies and history books. But this coin - it still has the value intact.

How about dollar?

top topics

join