It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Croation Legal System - help needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hi I'm posting on here in hope that I might come across somebody who would know what to do in a situation such as ours - hope its OK to post here mods!
A family friend has landed himself in trouble while visiting Croatia and is currently in prison awaiting sentencing which is expected to be in around 3 weeks time.
To cut a long story short, he was given a 'pill' of some kind while on the beach after the festival. The drug had bad effects on him and led to him thinking he was in some kind of Grand Theft Auto situation which led him to try to take someone's car and when the police became involved, resisted arrest and I believe caused minor injuries to an officer.
Don't get me wrong, he deserves everything he gets but this is totally out of character for him. He is a quiet kid with no criminal record and a good job. He comes from a humble family who have no experience in anything of this sort. This was his first time abroad and I blame, to a certain extent, the naivity that comes with being born and bred in a quiet little English town. Obviously his parents are upset and struggling to communicate with lawyers in Croatia in the hope of being able to help in some way but their emails are unanswered and there is the language barrier. They've been in touch with the British Embassy but their ability to help seems limited.

I realise that he must face the consequences of his actions but does anybody reading this have any idea of the legal system in Croatia...for example the likelihood of a sentence, bail procedures, negotiating with the legal system etc. His father is prepared and willing to travel over there but really wont know what he is doing once he does.

I'd be so grateful for any advice anybody could give and I realise its a bit of a long shot but just want to do my bit to help a sweet and distraught family.
Thanks for reading - L x

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hello Lovely 1973, I have not been to Croatia but I have traveled to many countries and one thing seems universal.
It is always about money.
Your friends father, if he has the means, should consider going there to hire a local attorney and speak with the authorities there. He should be prepared to pay and pay some more.
You friends situation is horrifying and I hope everything works out for him.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I appreciate your reply, thank you. They are fearing that is the case and from the limited contact the family has had with their son, the figure of Euro 20k is being mentioned but they haven't been able to ascertain if this is for bail or to effectively 'buy him out' but it has also been suggested the authorities could take the money and nothing come of it.
Their son has savings, as do the parents, so this definitely needs to be explored.

thanks again

L x

a reply to: ezramullins

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Lovely1973

Why on earth would he, or anyone, take a pill of unknown origin or efficacy, from a stranger in any country?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
not something I would consider doing either - I'm sure they'll be asking him this when he gets home...

a reply to: NewzNose

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lovely1973

I regret it if your family member is the nice guy you are talking about. But I see no reason to wait his sentence. Croatia is a member of the EU. Been there several times. They are severe, that's true. A language barrier? That is certainly not true. All younger people are speaking English better than in most other European countries. Look for a good younger lawyer. There are plenty of them in Zagreb.
edit on 17-9-2016 by zandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Find good lawyer (most multi-lingual anyways), and throw self on the mercy of the court.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

That's what kids do, especially when travelling and partying. He will have been told it was an E but sounds like it wasn't.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I was a kid once...never did that. I have family members who also have never done that. I know MANY people that have never done that.

top topics

join