It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Staying in the Light

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Staying in the light...

Life is too short to hold onto anger and resentments. There are so many beautiful and wonderful things in this amazing world to enjoy, experience and share with friends, loved ones and like minded people. Holding onto anger and resentments is like stocking the cupboard with rancid expired cans of food that will only one day fuel arguments and confrontations at some future unfortunate date.

If left unchecked, all too often they creep back up and flourish in the background unbeknownst to those we care for and love and then without warning it erupts and the floodgates of outdated and misplaced aggression gets directed on the innocent. Causing pain, hurt feelings and loss of respect and trust. I'm human and have been both on the giving as well as receiving ends of that spectrum at different periods of my life.

This doesn't mean I don't or wont get angry or have resentments, It just means I'm choosing a different path of not holding onto them, I'm getting too old to repeat patterns that by now, at this point in my life, I recognize no longer, or maybe never really had, serve any good purpose. I'll be honest, I used to hold onto Resentments which fueled my anger.

Used to do a resentment inventory, "HE, SHE, THEY" did or said this or that to or about me, so I'll do, say or act (this, that or the other) way. "That'll teach them" or "They deserved this" VENGEANCE is mine!!! ha ha ha...

Meanwhile. The only person it hurt was myself.

It's like feeding my own cancer of sorts, Who needs that? When I do that it keeps me shut off from those I love and care for deeply, I was at a meeting a while back and I heard someone mention in casual conversation how they used to judge people by how much they agreed or disagreed with them. Which would dictate how much trust, affection, attention, or empathy he would allow himself to give to them.

Wow, that rung a bell. Judging other people based on what I think they should do or not do.....

Well?

I'm not other people

I'm me, Just me, not you, or him, or her, or them, just me. "They" have a right to do or say whatever it is they so choose. If I have a problem with it then that's on me, not them. I'm not responsible for others actions, reactions or inaction. Nobody is perfect, But I used to expect perfection. I would not truly accept apologies because they weren't given they way I imagined or expected how they should have been given. I was being judgmental. It was the same way I would handle receiving kindness and love. Sad but true.

I'd do things in reverse of how it aught to be. If I judged others based on how I was feeling while receiving their attention, affection friendliness and love based on past resentments I wouldn't truly appreciate the gifts I was being blessed with. If I had been appreciative of the gifts then my feeling would have soften and change to the positive.

Not recognizing that they were freely giving me their affection, love and "TIME"

Their time?

We are only here for so long. If you love someone, let them know. Even if they are in some state of being that isn't capable of receiving, appreciating or empathizing. It's not the recognition of our gifts, it's the giving of the gifts that should matter, whether or not they accept them. It's kind of like leaving a golden nugget at their doorstep whether or not they pick it up and cherish it or not. at least you freely and unconditionally placed it there for them.

I truly feel that when we physically die "LOVE" is what we take with us. Our time spent here is finite, love is eternal. So when I say I love you, I mean it.

There isn't anyone I've ever loved that I've actually stopped loving. AND, I don't have to be with them to love them wholeheartedly

That's amazing.

Oh, for some I've held onto anger and resentments towards them, but honestly, given a chance, I'd clear the air as soon as possible between us. Make amends, Empty the cupboard of life and restock with healthier ways of dealing with issues that kept or keeps the rift between us. Takes two though.

One to give and one to receive freely. If one or neither are ready to either give or receive then thats where expectations, judgement and resentments keeps one from the light. Time runs out and we all lose.

Today, I choose to stay in the light, The Past, I cannot change but learn from, The Future, is a fantasy that I can only imagine and make some plans for but it's not real yet, It's the present I have control over and so today I say

I love you.

Today, is a good day to live.....

edit on 17-9-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Sep 17 2016 by Jbird because: removed extra to

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Yes we are all better than the base emotions that divide us

It is enlightening to observe one's own thought process's
Yet it takes courage to look at oneself honestly ... to take that first step in aknowledging one's own failings

How can we learn to be better people if we do not first admit to ourselves the aspects which require change

Yours is a brave post Slayer and much respect to you for being open and honest

I agree ... Life takes on new colours when we do so.

We are all born as Human Beings and die as Human Beings ... We all laugh and cry, love and lose

That old saying holds much wisdom when observing others... " But for grace there goes I "

Yes Love, Unconditional Love is the prime force and the end game

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Staying in the light, like an open flower tracks the sun...

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69
thank with all my heart Slayer, you reminded me of all my useless patterns. I had learnt how not to hold onto such when I used to go to AA. A timely reminder for me to revisit whats truly important. Who needs to get a cancer or ulcer?

take care

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

A quote from Babylon 5 comes to mind.

I don't know the series much, to be honest I haven't even seen a whole episode. But this one quote stuck with me forever:

If I take a lamp and shine it toward the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth... for understanding. Too often, we assume that the light on the wall is God, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the sense of revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search - who does not bring a lantern - sees nothing. What we perceive as God is the by-product of our search for God. It may simply be an appreciation of the light... pure and unblemished... not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes we stand in front of the light and assume that we are the center of the universe - God looks astonishingly like we do - or we turn to look at our shadow and assume that all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose, which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all its beauty and in all its flaws; and in so doing, better understand the world around us.

www.imdb.com...

Good OP! S+F

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
First off. Lots of LOVE BACK TO YOU!!! What an awesome post! I see a lot of people recently going through a similar situation, recognition and conscious awakening of sorts, and it usually leads back to LOVE and the WISDOM to know when to speak.

There is so much divide, anger and hate going around, its nice to see a wonderful positive, REAL TALKING post. You my Aries friend are used to battling in the trenches, so coming out, healing and sharing is a very noble way to go! You help so many people when you do so!! Thank You!

Always in the Light!!

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

To me this just shows you had an easy life and never got fully knocked out by the universe.
If you knew how it feels to get betrayed, pushed in front of a train and ran over, you could appreciate anger and rage as a necessary first step out of the gutter.

Right now I hate everything and everybody but that makes me try to get in charge over me and my life again, so it's a step forward, because before I only blamed myself and wanted to die.
Joy, laughter, appreciation of life, or light as you call it, surely is something to strive for, but more as long-term goal. Right now "get out of my way, stop lying, or I kill you" as self defence.

Typical first world feel good philosophy for spoiled softies.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

In order to truly appreciate a 'High" one would have to know how bad a 'Low' could be?

Everyones bottom is different.

What difference does it make how the lesson is learned as long as the change is made?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I don't believe there is a the lesson. My lesson was trust nobody, yours is obviously something else and there are currently 7,8 billions or something unique lessons learned.
While I can fully subscribe to the don't hold on to feelings part, that's not really what you preach, is it?
You say cling to the "positive" no matter how wrong it is and that's just as unhealthy as holding on to "negative" emotions.
In order to digest the lesson you have to go through all the flavours.

Imagine you tell someone who got framed for murder and sits in the death row your "hold on to the light" thingy. That wouldn't help anybody anything would it?
Fight, fight, fight for justice and for freedom, for that you need a certain self confidence and the right amount of anger. Just "I forgive you and will die so you can get away with all the devilishly things you did" wouldn't amount to a society I would want to live in.
But that's were the 2000 year old lie of heaven comes from. I hate that too.

edit on 17-9-2016 by Peeple because: Forgot a word

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It is all a matter of perception. The further down you go, the higher you can rise. Without anything to compare it to, if you were born and raised in a pit of fire, then you would be content there. Put out that fire for just a minute, then you realize what kind of hell you were in.

But yes, you control your destiny . . . at least as far as in how you act and react. When you allow others to dictate your actions by theirs, you just became their slave.

Recommended reading on this subject - The Count of Monte Cristo.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

It is true what you say ...

One's vision can be clouded with resentments ... viewing the world as a hostile place and one's fellow beings as the enemy is a lonely place ...

No one knows what another has been through, the hardships they face or have faced
Never give up ... when walking through "Hell" keep walking as Churchill said

Hardships hardened the armour around the soul
Looking back on my life ... I am glad of the hardships I have faced and view future hardships as a challenge

The challenge being never to forget my Humanity

In reality we all need others unless we are hermits
Who built one's home
Who made the clothes one wears
Who entertains us
Who shared their love and companionship
What does one do to benefit one's society or the world

These are questions I ask myself and yes it is humbling

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

I'm a little worried about your punctuation process.
You're going to start some trouble soon, right?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Not looking for trouble it often looks for me though

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

We are responsible for our own lives.

We are the creators of how we end up living.

You wrote some noble words, sir. We said!

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Everyones bottom is different.

That is right.
Everyone's bottom is their own, also.
But bottom is bottom.
No matter whose bottom it is.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
As we go through life, we go through a roller coaster of emotions. No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. We can strive to pick ourselves up and move forward with love and compassion. You are so right Slayer when you say, we are only here for a short time and that if you love someone let them know.
Much love and light to you and my ATS family!

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What a perfectly beautiful and insightful post! Love is energy.

originally posted by: SLAYER69
This doesn't mean I don't or wont get angry or have resentments, It just means I'm choosing a different path of not holding onto them, I'm getting too old to repeat patterns that by now, at this point in my life, I recognize no longer, or maybe never really had, serve any good purpose. I'll be honest, I used to hold onto Resentments which fueled my anger.

I get angry, too. I get really angry sometimes... But if I 'hold onto' it, and hold onto the next one and the next one, who ends up carrying all that ugly crap around? ME! I don't want it or need it.

It's AMAZINGLY easy to just drop the resentments if I just forget my pride and LET_IT_GO... I mean, everyone of us is doing our best to get along in this life the best way we know how. We're all REALLY in this together, regardless of our political or religious views. Carrying resentment and grudges is a complete waste of time. Time spent in anger could be time spent in love...

Thanks for this great thread, Slayer... I love you.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Now that you all said you love each other will you go back to arguing about politics? Just kidding, I am glad you got some o dat epiphany Slayer. It's pretty good for the soul.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I always have a saying I try to pop out anytime I get the opportunity.
Hate,jealousy and resentment are all useless emotions.
Always take the high road if you get the chance.

Very wise words Slayer.
Its nice to see a thread like this.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

The following words popped into my mind while reading your reply.

understanding
noun 1. the ability to understand something; comprehension.
adjective 1. sympathetically aware of other people's feelings; tolerant and forgiving

Empathy
noun the ability to understand and share the feelings of another

Gratitude
noun the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.

Compassion
noun sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.

Forgiveness
noun the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join