It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who does Gary Johnson hurt more? Trump or Hillary?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Conservatives and most of the media think that GJ takes votes from Trump. I guess they go off history and not the current election. Historically libertarians take more votes from the republicans than the democrats. I guess they thought that Gary would hurt Trump and a help Hillary. Gary being smart went left. The biased media thinking that Gary was going to siphon votes from Trump kept promoting him. Until recently. I think they caught on to the game and adjusted. Now they ignore him completely or attack him(remember the whole aleppo thing).

Why do Trump supporters attack GJ when he actually helps Trump and hurts Hillary Clinton?

Hillary is in direct competition with both Jill stein and Gary Johnson. No one is competing with Trump right now.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
From what I hear millennials more of those who would usually vote for Hillary are voting Johnson. Advantage Trump. Also read Soros has funded Johnson and Johnson's open borders policy is same as Hillary's and many don;t want that.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Garry takes votes from both sides. The people that are more middle of the road. They may lean one way or the other, but refuse to go overboard like the current chosen ones have.

He doesn't really take votes from either Trump or Clinton, but takes votes from red and blue team. The millions who burnt their voter registration cards when Trump became the nominee and millions who refuse to support another Clinton in office, but also refuse to support the other extreme.

Trump nor Clinton have a chance at getting those votes even if there was no Garry because voting third party is also a statement of a big middle finger to the system. If Johnson wasn't there the votes would go to another third party candidate.
edit on 17-9-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: John_Rodger_Cornman

Conservatives and most of the media think that GJ takes votes from Trump. I guess they go off history and not the current election. Historically libertarians take more votes from the republicans than the democrats. I guess they thought that Gary would hurt Trump and a help Hillary. Gary being smart went left. The biased media thinking that Gary was going to siphon votes from Trump kept promoting him. Until recently. I think they caught on to the game and adjusted. Now they ignore him completely or attack him(remember the whole aleppo thing).

Why do Trump supporters attack GJ when he actually helps Trump and hurts Hillary Clinton?

Hillary is in direct competition with both Jill stein and Gary Johnson. No one is competing with Trump right now.

I don't doubt the veracity of what you are claiming but would love to see your source(s).

I've thought it an interesting point this cycle that both sides have been pointing the finger, claiming my vote for Johnson is a vote for the candidate they didn't support.

I was personally hoping both sides would keep believing that and inadvertently give Johnson an in by trying to use him as a spoiler against one another but it seems perhaps the Dems and Repubs wised up to that possibility.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
What's it matter "who does Gary Johnson hurt more?" Why do people continually press this asinine rhetoric?

He's a legitimate candidate. If someone wants to vote for him, then it should have nothing to do with taking votes from someone else. They vote for who they want to vote for. But unfortunately, this ridiculous perspective exists where people think it's a wasted vote.

Such a crazy, weird, insane way to look at it. I'll never understand how we as a society have developed into this close minded political environment where people who look beyond what's forced down their throats are chastised for stealing votes from the establishment. Just absolute nonsense.

OP, I'm not blasting you personally, I'm blasting the fact that the mentality exists so that this question has to be asked when it shouldn't. Just to clarify.
edit on 17-9-2016 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Gary Johnson is probably getting the disaffected Bernie Sanders people, who wouldn't have voted Hillary or Trump in any case. The only way he could have co-opted the Trump voters is if he had gone further into the Alt-Right views, such as 9/11 truth, dismantling the military/industrial complex, cutting foreign aid, attacking the Federal Reserve, etc. But he hasn't done that. So GJ's effect is then mostly neutral, without advantage to either Party.
edit on 17-9-2016 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I see it as a fairly even draw. Hes more palatable to centrists than the other 2 and will pull some votes from clinton that liked bernie and some libertarian leaning republicans. He isnt true libertarian but more like a libertarian-centrist cross excrpt the borders issue. Im not sure why he doesnt take a centrist position on that.
edit on 17-9-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I think for a few establishment Republicans, Johnson is their candidate as part of their sour grapes over their failed NeverTrump efforts, but it seems I have heard of more Democrats in the USA intending to vote for Johnson (as opposed to Republicans expressing an intent to vote for him and Gov. Weld.)

I continue to find it painfully telling that self-styled progressives are not out campaigning for and intending to vote for Dr. Jill Stein. Where is the conviction of all of those Bernie Sanders voters?

I saw a video clip of Jill Stein being interviewed on FoxNewsChannel in the States, and her bearing was Presidential and her critique was sharp and powerful. I had not expected to find her so formidable.

No wonder she gets so little media coverage and will not be included in the USA's pseudo-debates. I cannot imagine a debate without the four major candidates. Keeping 2 candidates out because of an arbitrary polling percentage is one of those things that makes your elections in the States look rigged and controlled...

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapriti

They are rigged and controlled. And will always be until people refuse to vote for the two controlled parties. And if that happens, the ruling elite will find another way to subvert it. Nothing will happen until society comoletely breaks down in a fundamental manner. And then, its a crapshoot whether we get something better or,worse.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I'd say Trump. It's already seems like the establishment got to Gary. Plus he's way more likely to take orders from above than Trump.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

All you have to do is look at the polls for your answer. When he's not included hillary gains. When he is included Trump's numbers don't go up but Hillary's goes down. This tells us many democrats are voting for Johnson. See they have a problem they don't want to vote Trump and they don't want to vote Hillary. And bottom line Johnson won't get any republican votes his policies are in direct contrast to republicans.
edit on 9/17/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Great topic. I am inclined to think Garry Johnson bleeds votes from Trump. The Ross Perot effect in 2 elections involving the Clintons is bound to have people including myself asking questions. Staying on topic , if the polls are accurate I think there will be a 10-15% nation wider voter turn out for Johnson at the expense of Clinton. In short if Trump loses votes to Johnson he loses in a landslide. In Clinton's case the popular voter becomes less of a blow out in her favor or at a stretch she loses.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

What he hurts the most is 3rd party candidates.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Both Johnson and Stein hurt Clinton more than Trump.

How do I know this? Just look at social media. On Bernie's reddit page about 8/10 members are calling to vote for one of these candidates over Clinton. On Trumps side... nobody is even batting an eye.

The Berners are desperately looking for an alternative, and many of them despise Clinton and jumped on the Never Trump bandwagon months ago.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

On Trumps side... nobody is even batting an eye.

That may be because they are starry eyed. Trump is all.
Others have a brain in their heads.

edit on 9/17/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Johnson and Stein's policies are closer to Clinton's than Trump's... so why would people who want tougher vetting of immigrants and better trade negotiation vote for them?

edit on 17-9-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Tougher than what?

And, for the record, I think single issue voters are narrow minded.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I guess it's better than zero issue voters who vote based on their team color. I'm still waiting for Hillary to do a press conference about her new policies.

edit on 17-9-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The words GJ has said only reinforce my support for Trump.

If I had to choose between GJ And HRC I would reluctantly vote GJ.

Trump has my vote, if I actually get out and vote that is, I never have because I don't have much faith that it even matters.

I am worried Trump is not authentic but I still feel like he is the best chance we have for change.

Hillary, stein, Johnson, sanders, I am afraid will be more of the same.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I'm still waiting for Hillary to do a press conference about her policies,

Yeah.

I'm waiting for Trump to explain how he's going to pay for everything he says he's going to do (while getting Congress to go along with it) and cut taxes for everybody.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join