It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Friggen HATE Guitar Center

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I've been a musician (debatable) for just about 20 years. I've played bass, drums, guitar, violin, cello and can read (debatable) sheet music for strings. I'm also a geek. I tear apart guitars, amps and replace parts, fix broken ones give setups etc.

So here are a few reasons I can not stand GC.

Tale one begins not long ago when it was a Sunday and I really needed strings to complete a few jobs. I go in and ask the guy for the brand I was looking for, in this case DR High Beams in 10's. He looks at me...looks at the bass strings...looks back at me and I add "guitar strings man." He walks over to the strings...looks back at me and tells me they don't sell those. I say "no biggie, when will you have them in?" He rebuts, "I mean they don't make them." Not wanting to get into yet another tiff with these kids I instead get the Tite-Fits. Then he asks for my phone number. Now for those who don't know, once these guys get your number and/or email, your swamped with every piece of possible imaginable junk mail in physical and digital form. I say "I'm good man, just the strings please." He sighs and gives me the total and I hand over my card. Then he informs me that he NEEDS my email to do a card transaction. I pushed the strings off of the counter and walked out....yes childish but there's many more tales!

Tale two begins from a text from a certain GC manager in response to one of my craigslist adds. After a few back and forths, I find out he is who I stated as he didn't outright inform me. I was selling a mid range guitar for a pretty good price. I know these guys offer 50% max of the going used price of any item. Well that happened to be what I was advertising it for so win for me right? WRONG! I go all the way across town and get this transaction going. He then offers me 40% of my asking price even though I verified that my price is set low and firm. I go on to tell him his own standard practice as well as the other smaller shops in the area. Some offer more based on demand. Anywho I wasted 3 hours of my day and the ride out there. GRRRRR

My last tale (although not complete) is about random parts. Now they are a licensed Peavey dealer and I happen to like Peavey amps! I call ahead on a few screws and some other odds and ends I need for a few projects. I talk to the parts guy and he says "yea, yea cmon down, I got that stuff." Cool! I verify that he will still be there when I show up because I don't want to talk to someone else. Well wouldn't you know it, he's gone when I get there and will not be back until tomorrow. This is two hours before he told me he would be leaving. Of course no one else knew what I was after or where to even look. Fine. I'll come back tomorrow. Well I show up and he's there and I tell him what I need. He disappears to the back and comes out after 15 minutes with a list of what I asked for. He says "ok so you need this right? I'll order them right up." I'm taken aback and reply "you said you had them here. I mean I can order them as can anyone else." What went on for the next ten minutes was a retraction of everything he said and my face and bloodpressure about to explode.

That's all I have for now. I wish you luck if you visit these establishments but please save yourself some hassle and shop local music stores!

TLDR: Guitar Center is a low integrity shop.

edit on 16-9-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
My musician "questionable" friends go here.

www.sweetwater.com...

This place is a few miles from me and they love the joint.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

At this point I only buy from Sweetwater.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I too use SW when I don't feel the immediate need for something. Stew Mac as well. Sadly not local.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Thank the gods of wire and wood, we have a huge mom and pop operation with knowledgeable techs, parts, new and used, horns, keys, with sales people only half a snotty attitude. I refuse to patronize chain stores of any type.

They even have decent real gut strings for upright bass.
edit on 16-9-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Doesn't the hint of smooth Ganges [sic] wafting through the place tip you off?

Anyway I agree with you. I only go to small local vendors if I need gear.

And that video was hilarious, because it's so true!

edit on 16-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Like a beaten spouse, I kept heading back. I realize my folly.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

edit on 16-9-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

I disagree as would many other players and string makers.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

They are local and open on Sundays. When I have clients that need a quick turn around they'll do in a pinch.

Question for you.

Are you fishing for an argument?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I did a similar rant a few years ago about McStores pretty much.

How they don't need to really train their staff, they pretty much just stick in anybody who can work a cash register. They don't even need to be the slightest bit knowledgeable about what they're selling, and there's really no pressure to ever learn.

It's a weird business model in my opinion, but all the big names seem to live on it.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

It's not weird. It's profit>all. I call it the Comcast model hehe

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

My clients get what they ask for. In this case DR. Having read the OP you would know that correct?

Speaking of lazy, let us mind our own backyards no?

Your
You're

Also while were at it, maybe you should make a thread....of any sort.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I actually tried learning Comcast's system as an install tech recently. They have some pretty high standards compared to the provider I do services for.

But you can bet if I encounter something on the job that I'm not knowledgeable about, I go home and do a little research and youtube how-to'ing over the weekend.

In a McStore, there's really no incentive for that. It's just a paycheck for an easily replaced clerk.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I too wanted to work for them at one point in time and they are stringent as you've stated. I theorize this is due to insurance reasons. If their customer service applied the same standards, they MIGHT be worth what they charge!

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Ugh. Sales reps and customer service never know sheet.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
In Reno we have Bizarre Guitar(also a gun shop) and a GC as well. The only time I go to either place is if I need new strings for my classical guitar, or if I need to buy a gun.

I try to avoid GC because they are just like any other retail environment where the people DGAF, and the prices are too high.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

In the real world, we might make great friends.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join