It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

‘Washington Post’ Confirms Hillary Clinton Started the Birther Movement

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The gravity of this whole "birther" thing escapes me. Candidates CONSTANTLY accuse each other of things that turn out to be true. Obama is a lame duck. What difference, at this point, does it make where Obama was born?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

What difference, at this point, does it make where Obama was born?

It doesn't, really. It never did. Because he was born in the US.

On the other hand, Trump's ongoing refusal to realize it (or admit it, until this morning). Why did he wait so long if it was he who made Obama provide his birth certificate (as he claims)? He seemed to think it was a very big deal, even after the birth certificate was released. He never managed to come out and say it was nonsense, until this morning. Or was that just politics? Is he just another politician? Doing what is expedient?

edit on 9/16/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not all, that would be an unfair assumption but to deny that racism played a part in this would be ignorant. And yes, Trump was the leader of the Birther movement and indeed the KKK, white supremacist, follow his lead today.
edit on 16-9-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: xuenchen

That memo is the proof.

I read it.
Where is it stated or implied that Obama was not born in the US?
Where is it stated or implied that such a rumor be spread?

www.breitbart.com... ation/

Meanwhile, former McClatchy Washington Bureau Chief James Asher tweeted Friday that Blumenthal had “told me in person” that Obama was born in Kenya.

“During the 2008 Democratic primary, Sid Blumenthal visited the Washington Bureau of McClatchy Co.,” Asher said in an email Friday to McClatchy, noting that he was at the time the investigative editor and in charge of Africa coverage.

“During that meeting, Mr. Blumenthal and I met together in my office and he strongly urged me to investigate the exact place of President Obama’s birth, which he suggested was in Kenya. We assigned a reporter to go to Kenya, and that reporter determined that the allegation was false.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Swills

LOL

This isn't a 20-questions session.

But my own opinion (based on research I am familiar with) was suggested in another thread.

If you can find it, maybe I'll comment there.

20 questions? Count much? I'm not surprised you would dodge the questions entirely so I'll just come to my own conclusions.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Fine. They investigated a false rumor.
Now what?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I have no problem believing that Hillary is behind this.

Then again, I find her a "deplorable" person.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

When it comes to hype, Trump is indeed like most politicians. You normally don't reach the top of business or government without making certain issues bigger than they should be. Hyping them.

I'd like to know why Donald Trump (stupidly) resurrected this Obama "birther" issue yesterday. Up until yesterday, all the discussion was on Hillary's health, e-mail hacks, "deplorables", security breaches, etc..

Thankfully, at the speed this overall campaign is moving, this issue will be replaced by something else in a day or two. Probably something bad for Hillary, just like most developments over the past 10 days have been.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Well, maybe (maybe), the "debates" will be substantive.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Funny, after all these years and countless threads about Obama's citizenship and all the sudden it's Clintons fault for the Birther movement. Well, fact checking proves Clinton isn't the source of this nor her minions. Any so called connection to her, which isn't any connection at all, comes from her disenfranchised supporters who refused to back Obama in 08 so they went rogue. But, they nor Clinton had anything to do with the witch hunt led by conservatives for years up to present day.

Like I said, conservatives are fine with their own white republicans being born to US parents in foreign countries, but not a black democrat.
edit on 16-9-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Sure you were. How very convenient you are a Birther and now you're admitting not only were you a Clinton supporter in 08 but you witnessed the birth of the Birther movement!

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Typical Breitbart (now Trump News) garbage.

Consider this bit:

Everything began in March of 2007 when Hillary’s chief strategist, Mark Penn, wrote a now-infamous campaign memo laying out his overall plan to win the election.

Weigel sums up the Birther elements of Penn’s memo as a nothingburger; indeed, according to Weigel, the memo actually proves that the Clinton campaign wanted nothing to do with Birtherism: “But Penn wrote that as a warning, not a strategy,” Weigel writes.

While most of Weigel’s lies in his defense of Clinton are of omission and deflection, the wrist-flicking of Penn’s memo is pure audacity.

Did you read the memo? I did. Nowhere does it mention birtherism. It does say that Obama's upbrining is a weakness. The most important part that John Nolte left out (but hey, good on him for linking the memo and suggesting people read it):

"We are never going to say anything about his background — we have to show the value of ours when it comes to making decisions, understanding the needs of most Americans — the invisible Americans."

That is actually a warning not to go down the road of attacking Obama's upbrining. Agreed?

Another part:

Weigel writes: “In December 2007, a Clinton campaign worker named Judy Rose sent an e-mail asking whether Obama was a secret Muslim who intended to destroy America from the inside. She was fired and denounced.”

Here’s what Weigel doesn’t tell his readers:

1. The email wasn’t meant for public consumption. It was an internal email sent to just a handful of Democrats.

2. Rose was only fired after the media discovered the email.

3. Rose wasn’t merely a “Clinton campaign worker,” she was the volunteer chair of the Clinton campaign in Jones County, Iowa.

4. A second Clinton staffer resigned just a few days later for the same offense.

5. The emails were sent just a little more than a month before the crucial January of 2008 Iowa Caucus, which Hillary lost.

Again, thanks for the links Mr. Nolte. If you follow the email link, that will lead to a Politificat page that has a link "text of an email" which leads to:

Politico - Clinton staffer on anti-Obama email chain

Which is from 2007 because well... all of this was known in 2007 and reported on by the "liberal media." Nolte's bulletpoints are misleading. Let me tell you what Nolte isn't saying as he's accusing Weigel of things:

1. First off there are what? 99 counties in Iowa? Jones County has a total population of 20,000. Do you have any idea how many people like Judy Rose there are in a campaign's network?

2. Judy Rose received an email and then forwarded it to eight fellow staffers. Read that part again. She didn't author the email. She then forwarded the email to only eight other staffers. One of those eight staffers was Ryan Callanan. Ryan Callanan immediately responded to the email:

"I’ve gotten this forward before. It’s racist and ignorant. I can’t believe that people believe this stuff."

Read THAT again. Her again we see clear evidence that the email that is being discussed didn't originate with Judy Rose or the Clinton campaign.

That alone blows the whole thing out of the water. This email called "Meet Barack Obama" or whatever was floating around and it happened to land in this feckless woman's email and she forwarded it. That was on Nov 21, 2007. On Dec 5, 2007 Politico posted the forwarded email (which had obviously been forwarded to them) an on Dec 6, 2007, Judy Rose resigned. Why would the higher ups in the campaign have known or cared that this low-level staffer had forwarded an email she received (she didn't even add her own comments, she JUST forwarded it ffs)?

Her resignation was really just her taking one for the team because there's no evidence that she did anything wrong. Anwyway, you're a smart guy. Doesn't it seem like John Nolte is drastically misrepresenting things?

Read that Politico link and this Politifact link. They're used as sources for the Breitbart article and the author completely misrepresents everything about it.

It's a shame you used Breitbart's spin as the source for your OP instead of using something that wasn't Trump News generated propaganda. Now this is going to be the final word on it for ATS I'm afraid.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Oh, c'mon, folks!

Obama only has 4 months and 20 days in office. What difference, at this point, does it make?

It makes a difference if a President Trump has information he has not released and intends to retroactively invalidate the entirety of all Obama legislative, regulatory, and judicial actions because "he was not a natural born citizen".

I know that for most what I have written in the paragraph above sounds mad, but considering Trump the man as well as the candidate, I can imagine him saying what he said today until *proof* suddenly descends from the skies deus ex machina for him to reopen the whole question... should he be elected President.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
From the Washington Post themselves:

Trump admits Obama was born in U.S., but falsely blames Clinton for starting rumors
www.washingtonpost.com...

But leave it to Trump supporters to continue spreading false information. WaPo have stated rather clearly that they never said Hillary started the Birther movement. There was never a debate either that Hillary supporters jumped on the birther bandwagon.

No Hillary did not start the birther conspiracy. The very first recorded post questioning Obama's birthplace originated from a rightwing, anti democrat website called 'The Free Republic' dated March 1st 2008:

Here's the post:

Obama’s mother gave birth to him overseas and then immediately flew into Hawaii and registered his birth as having taken place in Hawaii.

www.freerepublic.com...

This thread might as well be thrown in the hoax bin.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Well obviously Sid Blumenthal can't be the origin either according to Asher:

“At the time of Mr. Blumenthal’s conversation with me, there had been a few news articles published in various outlets reporting on rumors about Obama’s birthplace. While Mr. Blumenthal offered no concrete proof of Obama’s Kenyan birth, I felt that, as journalists, we had a responsibility to determine whether or not those rumors were true. They were not.”

Blumenthal read or heard about the rumor, which had already been published in multiple sources, and asked the investigative editor in charge of Africa coverage to look into it. Asher sent out a reporter who concluded it was false.

That doesn't seem unreasonable.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
So is it just me or is it funny how this deflection is being allowed to happen because its Trump doing it instead of Clinton?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapriti
It makes a difference if a President Trump has information he has not released and intends to retroactively invalidate the entirety of all Obama legislative, regulatory, and judicial actions because "he was not a natural born citizen".

Except as Obama was born in Hawaii he IS a "natural born US citizen - as the courts have stated.... there is zero evidence he was born anywhere but Hawaii, but of course that has not stopped some people making all sorts of crap up, like his BC was forged, or he was born in Kenya....

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Sure you were. How very convenient you are a Birther and now you're admitting not only were you a Clinton supporter in 08 but you witnessed the birth of the Birther movement!

I've always been up front about it. I ran a blog on the subject for years, and wrote many open records requests to the Hawaii Department of Health to glean info.

Here's me saying I was a Hilary supporter in 2008, in this thread on Obama's birth certificate, from July.

Link

I suppose you think I knew, in July, that Trump would be raising this issue, yesterday.

Believe what you want. I've always been open about being a Hillary supporter, in 2008. Not just at the comment above, either, I've said it many times on ATS in context of many different topics.

edit on 17-9-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: xuenchen

Tbh, I don't believe anything Trump says and I'm sure he fully believes Obama is a Kenyan and that's because Trump is a liar. So the real question, questions, for you are, do you agree Obama is a US citizen and do you believe Trump or that he is lying for political reason?

How about the alternative view, that if it involved politics, its a lie. I wouldnt be surprised if Trump and the clintons were still in bed with one another.

I don't know about you, but I never seen Hilary so happy as in this photo. So happy that it looks like she wants to eat him.

What these photos reveal is that there is no real rivalry between them.
Of course I could be wrong, but no matter which way one looks at it, there are lies on both sides of the same coin.

this thought came to me when I heard Jimmy Fallon from the Tonight Show say:

"Trump has refused to attack her while she is sick. And He even said that he hopes that she feels better. I wish people would ask Trump if he is feeling okay."

He says this at 3:24 mins in in the video below:

I just found that statement oddly strange as it pointed Trump to be "out of character".

As for the birther situation..I saw the story reported Here:

But who knows, maybe its a chess move on Donald trumps part, maybe its not. But a picture is still worth a thousand words.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapriti

originally posted by: ketsuko
Oh, c'mon, folks!

Obama only has 4 months and 20 days in office. What difference, at this point, does it make?

I know that for most what I have written in the paragraph above sounds mad, but considering Trump the man as well as the candidate, I can imagine him saying what he said today until *proof* suddenly descends from the skies deus ex machina for him to reopen the whole question... should he be elected President.

I'm not holding my breath for that.

I think it was just a way of getting free press for his endorsements and then neatly turning the issue back on Clinton. At this point, every time I hear her speak about him all I hear is her talking about herself.

"Conspiracy theories ..." (You mean the vast right wing one or the new alt-right one?)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join