It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Culture?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Culture has become a common excuse for a number of crimes committed today. I found this video appropriate, as it provides a very simplistic, some think humorous, definition of culture.

youtu.be...
Culture is transitional. Change, new obstacles, and new demands, create a need for new solutions. As new ways are accepted in increasing numbers, and become norms; cultures transition to accommodate those new changes and norms.

We are constantly transitioning. Some things are accepted and assimilated into society leaving no wake, others create tsunamis. It looks to me that we are reaching a point in our transitioning, that is causing distress among the masses.

Folkway and Mores are creating conflict among the the different cultures. I believe that this conflict is at center of what appears to be an uptick in racism, religious phobias, bigotry, and all that stuff.

Ageism wasn't talked about much but it exist. There have been several experiments done in attempt to try to understand why people feel they way they do about people at different stages of life. They say necessity is the mother of invention. Sometimes necessity can point the way to solutions in shared problems.

www.youtube.com...
Perhaps we should stop using culture as an excuse and start using it as a foundation for creating better solutions to shared problems.

My idea will not be a quick fix, nor will it be easy, but maybe it will be an action that may lead us in a new and mutually beneficial direction.

edit on 16-9-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Unable to embed with youtube icon
edit on 16-9-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Nice video.

Culture is a term that has been also used to describe regional or national values, standards, laws or morals (what is right and wrong, legal and illegal).

Some "cultures" (national or regional morals / values / laws) allow raping little boys, some allow mutilating little girls, some allow (and promote) for murdering, mutilating, torturing, and imprisoning you if you renounce or switch your religion, some cultures dictate that you can enslave women as property, some cultures promote honor killing of their siblings and children if they "blaspheme" or cause dishonor to the family by dating the wrong person or disobeying the father, some cultures believe everyone else should be subjected to their harsh laws (as noted above) by force.

These cultural values are at odds with my own and I will neither tolerate these actions, beliefs, and behaviors or accept them as "normal".
edit on 16-9-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

These cultural values are at odds with my own and I will neither tolerate these actions, beliefs, and behaviors or accept them as "normal".

Usually when people of a different cultural moves into an area were there is little or no resemblance to the culture they have been indoctrinated into, they eventually adapt to the culture of their new environment, or blend or merge the cultures.

A for instance. I used to live in an area where all the neighbors decorated their homes for Christmas. I always placed a Menorah in my windows in honor of my Jewish friends and family. My Jewish friends and family always put up a Hanukkah bush for their children's non Jewish friends. They grew up celebrating both holidays, enjoying the gifts of dreidels, gelt, book, puzzles, etc., and the Christmas tree, there is no real Hanukkah bush by the way.

No one changed religions, or tried to get others to change their religions.

I understand what you are saying. I am not suggesting that people accept norms or mores, that go against what they believe in. I am suggesting that we find out what we have in common, what can agree with, and start trying to develop a culture from there.

new topics

join