It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Ad Encourages German Women to Wear Hijabs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

A television ad currently airing in Germany invites blonde-haired, blue-eyed women to embrace “tolerance” by wearing the Muslim hijab head dress.

The commercial begins with the text “Turkish women wear the hijab,” as a veiled woman is seen with her back to the camera.

However, when she turns around it immediately becomes clear that the woman is a white, blonde-haired German, before she states, “Me too! It’s beautiful!”
Source

www.youtube.com...

Does anyone know how to get back to a sane version of planet Earth?

I don't know how to express my feelings on this issue without sounding 'racist' or 'xenophobic' or 'Islamophobic.'

The bottom line is that hijabs are inherently sexist. Hijabs represent the view of Muslims that women are inferior to men. China is going in the right direction on this issue at least.

China bans wearing burqa in biggest Muslim city
edit on 16-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
The bottom line is that hijabs are inherently sexist.

So don't wear yours. Be the proud women you are, unafraid to show your ankles and elbows, and leave it at home.

Grl pwr!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

tol·er·ance
ˈtäl(ə)rəns/Submit
noun
the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.
"the tolerance of corruption"
synonyms: acceptance, toleration; More

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

con·form
kənˈfôrm/Submit
verb
comply with rules, standards, or laws.
"the kitchen does not conform to hygiene regulations"
synonyms: comply with, abide by, obey, observe, follow, keep to, stick to, adhere to, uphold, heed, accept, go along with, fall in with, respect, defer to; More
(of a person) behave according to socially acceptable conventions or standards.
"the pressure to conform"
synonyms: follow convention, be conventional, fit in, adapt, adjust, follow the crowd; More
be similar in form or type; agree.
"the countryside should conform to a certain idea of the picturesque"
synonyms: match, fit, suit, answer, agree with, be like, correspond to, be consistent with, measure up to, tally with, square with
"goods must conform to their description"

Which word fits better here?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I think the Hijab, alone, with no religious backing, is beautiful as an article of clothing. I wouldn't consider wearing one, because I figured it would be disrespectful as I am not islamic, or muslim, whichever is the proper term to use there.

I have frequently arranged my scarves in such a fashion on my head, so... wait, now am I a hypocrite? Uh oh.

Thats all i've got as far as the Hijab goes.

-Alee
edit on 9/16/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

The burka and the hijab are two different things.

Personally I think head scarfs can look pretty nice, here is an example

Not necessarily Muslim, Turkish or sexist.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I noticed how they made the hijab seem sexy with her leg showing and and some cleavage ....wait till young women try this ,a don the Muslim older women will throw stones at them. ...I guess control starts slowly and then will move to the full body dress.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I'm going to presume that TV adv. has a motivation that has to do with money.

"Gals, forget the torn jeans fashions! The latest fad, ladies is our full-bodied apparel that are imported from authentic manufacturers. Add a sense of mystery to your presence rather than letting it all hang out with cleavages and camel toes! Don't spend hours making yourself up in the mirror each morning. Get up, throw on our new exciting line of apparel and be out to work or school in minutes! Add mystery to your life in seconds! (Sold in black and special order deep black only.)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
A Hijab isn't just an article of clothing. It's an article of clothing based on the idea that women are inferior to men and need to cover themselves as a sign of subservience to men - and also because their bodies are evil. This idea doesn't just exist in Islam either; here's some passages from the bible:

7For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
8For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man;
9for indeed man was not created for the woman's sake, but woman for the man's sake.
10Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head

So, women - according to Islam and Christianity, you're inferior to Men because you were created for their pleasure, and you need to prove your subservience to Men by wearing a head covering.
That's what a Hijab is.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

You know, the idea here is to spread tolerance and acceptance, not forcing people to assimilate to another's culture. If this commercial offends you then...

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
If this commercial offends you then...

Make a thread from your safe space bunker?

edit on 16-9-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Then call it a head scarf, problem solved.

After all it is just an article of clothing to someone who is not a follower of Islam. It only has meaning as a Hijab if the wearer believes as such.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I don't go anywhere without my jibjab.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
bring back assless jeans.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I see little wrong with it....

By the end of the decade they will be under Sharia law anyway...

All those tiny steps that people do not notice and before you know it you are asking how the f#ck did we get here..

Personally the only people that need to wear a head scarf in Europe are grannies after a purple rinse and bank robbers, If some regressive left liberal wants to show how tolerant she is then knock yourself out and go the whole hog and head to Saudi Arabia and enjoy the hospitality.. Maybe you can Blog a report to your basic friends in Starcostacoffee hipster, but then on second thoughts probably best to just be seen and not heard...

RA
edit on 16-9-2016 by slider1982 because: Sp

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

What's sexist is saying what a person should, should not or can't wear based on their gender.

The purpose of the hijab is not dominance, it's a religious notion or has no one noticed that most Muslim men cover their heads too or that other religions have similar notions?

I personally wouldn't choose to wear one as a fashion statement anymore than I would wear a dot on my forehead or a Cross/Crucifix around my neck. The key word though is choice and to be quite honest I would be tickled pink if non-Muslim women started wearing hijabs just to watch heads explode.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
(Facepalm)

Hijabs are just head coverings. They're not Islamic, as many different Christian and Jewish sects also wear them. Ever seen an Amish woman or a Catholic Nun? Their head coverings would also be considered "hijabs". Ever see Orthodox Jewish women or some of the Orthodox Christian women in Northeast Africa and the MidEast? Many of them also wear head coverings that would be considered "hijabs". In fact, I'm guessing you haven't heard of a "ghoonghat" either, huh? Because it's a head scarf worn by some married Hindu, Jain, and Sikh women and (gasp!) it also looks like a hijab.

In fact, here's an online quiz that simply asks people to guess the religion of the women based on their head covering. Let's see how many of you get these correct.

Quiz: Can you tell her religion from her head covering?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
So wear the thing or you have no tolerance?
How about the Muslims NOT wear it in non Muslim countries to show tolerance?

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
i love the fact that hijabs and head coverings originated back in the times when it was believed the hair on a women's head was directly connected to their vagina and therefore head hair is a part of the genitals,

they cover their heads to hide their genitalia,
despite that we have learned for hundreds of years now hair on the head is not connected to genitalia at all, yet they continue with the ignorant practice...
edit on 16-9-2016 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
To be honest I would rather see people wear this than some of the crap I see them dressed in at the mall or walmart.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Tolerance does not equal subservience. We have to remember that those in charge are sociopaths and they will do things just to cause misery, just because they can and it gives them a sick, perverted thrill. So don't expect things to make sense to you because your not a sociopath!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join