It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a Basket of Deplorables

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: mOjOm

No, she called Trump supporters deplorable and then defined deplorable as bigots. There's a difference.

Do you need to hear her speech again?

No because I just quoted her exact speech a few posts up from here. Go read it. I know I have.

She clearly isn't calling all Trump supporters Deplorable. In fact she said her Grossly Generalized Opinion was half of them are. Which she then defines even more clearly as being Xenophobic, Homophobic, sexist, etc.

So if you're not one of those things being defined there, then she's not talking about you.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

But considering that more and more people are polling for Trump every day, that means we are a rapidly "deplorabalizing" country now. There are more and more people who are becoming deplorable every day, even if only 50% of Trump backers wear that label.

I think she made a disastrous mistake by calling half of her opposition deplorable using labels that too many of us have been hung with over the course of the past 8 years for no reason other than that we don't agree with one policy position or another. And now those terms have largely lost their bite as much of anything except as an insult meant to silence.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Again...arguing the actual numbers/percentages.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

When did I point my finger at the Mexican government, other than to indicate they are not providing well for their citizens?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think she made a disastrous mistake by calling half of her opposition deplorable

Why, was there a chance that they were going to change their minds and vote for her?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

When did I point my finger at the Mexican government, other than to indicate they are not providing well for their citizens?

Right there.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Firstly, neither I nor Trump ever said "with forethought." Those are your words and your assumption.

Secondly, thank you. I admit it is difficult to debate someone's intent. By specifically me deplorable, you have made my original point much clearer: Hillary desires, by her own words, to stifle political debate by dehumanizing ALL who support Trump. "Half" was just so she could have some wiggle room when confronted.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

You really don't see how you are blaming Hillary while defending Trump for the very same thing?

"'Mexico' can refer to..." is you providing t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ extra wiggle room.

ETA: Mahatche is right, Trump provided his own wiggle room by saying some border jumpers are good hardworking people.
edit on 17-9-2016 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Yeah! "Sending" isn't an accidental verb. "Sending" is a thought out process that involves a plan.

Also, I don't think I called you personally deplorable, but if the shoe fits, wear it with pride!

edit on 17-9-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xstealth

Trump said a long long time ago when asked by many journalists, Oprah Winfrey, 1988; Larry King, 1988; Rona Barrett, 1980, that he would only consider running for President if things got so bad in America he wouldn't rule it out.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I hate the idea of Hillary in office, but I find this deplorable buzzword disingenuous.

if you watch the entire clip she calls one half deplorable, and then goes on to say the other half has genuine anger at the government. Only the word deplorable got any attention though.

Is what she did any different from Trump, who says "we have a problem with Group A, but I'm sure some are good hard working people." repeatedly PLAYING both sides. It's basic politics, first you call people bad apples, but then you say not everyone is a bad apple, in hopes of snaring poor suckers who fear being seen as bad apples. Simple.

Another thing I find very hypocritical is Trump supporters use of statistics when talking about blacks or mexicans, because "I'm not PC, and it's cold hard facts", but point out that some of Trump's supporters are white supremacists and suddenly they demand you be more PC and stop talking about facts. Nope, some Trump supporters are white supremacists, deal with it.
edit on 09pm01pm302016-09-17T13:50:40-05:0001America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

She clearly isn't calling all Trump supporters Deplorable.

She doesn't have to. Her supporters can handle that part:

originally posted by: windword

Putting all but "some who I suppose are good people" Mexicans into a criminal basket is deplorable. Defending such stereotyping is deplorable.

That covers anyone who defends Donald Trump. Hillary starts the ball rolling by her vague statement, and her supporters finish the deal for her. I must admit it's kind of ingenious, if in a morbid, hateful kind of way.

So if you're not one of those things being defined there, then she's not talking about you.

According to windword, she is talking about me. Will you defend me against that, or will you silently but complicently agree with him?

I think I know the answer to that...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

That was me repeating your words, not me making a statement.

Come on, you can do better than that!

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I never said those words so, how exactly were you repeating my words?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Trump provided his own wiggle room by saying some border jumpers are good hardworking people.

Of course he did! By making another true statement of fact. Some (I would go so far as to say most) illegal immigrants are good, honest, hardworking people.

I know, it's very racist of me to say that, isn't it?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

That covers anyone who defends Donald Trump.

Anyone who defends Trump's statement that Mexico is sending us their worst criminals. Trump has said many deplorable things, and I think the people who defend them are just as deplorable!

If you take that personally, that's not my problem.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I know, it's very racist of me to say that, isn't it?

Illegal immigrants are not a race so, no.

Backpedaling?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Yeah! "Sending" isn't an accidental verb. "Sending" is a thought out process that involves a plan.

I never said it was accidental. Intentional, possibly, incidental, likely, but I don't think the government of Mexico just suddenly accidentally forgot to care for their people.

Also, I don't think I called you personally deplorable, but if the shoe fits, wear it with pride!

I support Trump's statement about illegal immigration. You said anyone who did that was deplorable. Or did you think I would suddenly realize how deplorable I was acting and start supporting Clinton?

Hint: ain't a-gonna happen.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Or did you think I would suddenly realize how deplorable I was acting and start supporting Clinton?

I thought it was about sorting out the true statements of fact.
edit on 17-9-2016 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

Is what she did any different from Trump, who says "we have a problem with Group A, but I'm sure some are good hard working people." repeatedly PLAYING both sides. It's basic politics, first you call people bad apples, but then you say not everyone is a bad apple, in hopes of snaring poor suckers who fear being seen as bad apples. Simple.

Big difference. Trump has promised to represent all American citizens, whether they voted for him or not, while Hilary slanders millions of her fellow citizens, and the very people she is campaigning to govern.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join