It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Police Are Our Friends

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

It's not about innocence or guilt. It's about not getting stabbed or shot over a traffic ticket. A lot of people overestimate the amoutn of protection an officer has. Part of staying alive on the job is being commanding, intimidating, and suspicious. While a fair amount of the populace won't take a swing at an officer, there's a surprising amount of people who will, much less pull a knife, etc.

exactly....

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by creamsoda
I believe that there are good cops. And I know there are great cops, but the point Im just trying to get around is that the majority of them are corrupt. Just about all (95%) of them are. Some have reasons to do things and some dont.

Talk about being parnoid about cops.

Now you stated that 95% or approximately 95% are corropt, can you prove it? I wouldlike to see actual proof. Trust me I will not hold my breath waiting

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I don't have any statistics....

but here's an example from recent news.

You walk into a mosk....a wounded enemy asks for help...as you get close...he triggers a bomb that kills 5.

Next day.....You enter a mosk.. an enemy has been shot and asks for help...

You :

A. Hi nice person, we'll help you right away!

B. Hmmm, are you sure your really hurt?

C. Shoot him.

Yes cops and military personel have to deal with things that noone else does, and they are not highly payed.

But next time you get pulled over....think that maybe this cop's partner got shot in the face last night.

He may be a little on edge.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Heres a particular intresting bit of police phsy. Note they allow the officer to ASSUME a person is mentally ill without any phsyciatric knowledge whatsoever. I can easily see how someone whos maybe just a bit stressed, will be assessed by a clever young rookie as mentally ill and perhaps dangerous. And what do scared rookies do? reach for the gun.
I remember a case or two in which people were shot dead under such circumstances.

www.policepsych.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

You walk into a mosk....a wounded enemy asks for help...as you get close...he triggers a bomb that kills 5.

Next day.....You enter a mosk.. an enemy has been shot and asks for help...

Funny you should come up with that scenario eh patriot!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
it's a judgement call.

In the Military or the Police...

if your wrong....your dead.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
And as for the patriot thing...

I didn't mean to go that way...I just meant if something happens....you expect or prepare that it may happen again.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Nice thread its good to know not all people think all cops are corrupt and out to get you. They are people just like you and me and many are fine people. I come from a long line of cops and have first hand seen the good they can do. People in my family alone have saved lives both human and animal and I know many more cops that have done the same thing.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
it's a judgement call.

In the Military or the Police...

if your wrong....your dead.

Assuming your in America, id say thats because you folk like guns so much.
Allow every citizen to have guns and your current civilian situation you just mentioned is exactly what you get. So A citizen has a constitutional right to bare arms but must live in society where a police officer might shoot first ask questions later as a result. Is it really safety?

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
Is it really safety?

It works for us

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
um...on a side note...

Look up what guns kill cops...it sure ain't the one's that are bought and registered.

The people here that "like" guns. arn't waving them in the air and running around town shooting people.

it's always the 22 or the 38 with the markings filed off.

If you want me to look up the statistics...let me know.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Posted by Frith
Snip...
    Posted by Yxboom
    Which laws "should not exist" in the first place? Can you give an example?

1. Zoning laws
2. deed restrictions
3. "right to work" laws which are legalized anti-union laws.

Those are primarily "civil" laws and, for the most part, are not criminal in nature. For example, your city or county commissioners will help to determine the type of zoning that is necessary for a particular area of your community. The police have little to no involvement in this. The commissioners may zone an area to be residential or business or high density or low density or a protected wetland, etc...

Deed restrictions are also civil in nature and do not involve your local police. If a citizen violates a deed restriction, then the matter can be brought before a civil judge or a hearing officer to settle the matter. A lean might be placed against a property but, again, the police really have no involvement in these types of laws and legal sanctions. It is all civil (or monetary) in nature.

Lastly, "right to work" laws are created by each state legislature. It simply means that public safety officials, such as police officers and firefighters, cannot go on strike because it would put the public in danger. Can you imagine the police refusing to respond to a bank robbery because they are on strike??? I only mention this aspect of the "right to work" laws because you correlated it with strikes.

Continued:

Posted by Frith
Snip...
4. assissted suicide bans
5. "blue laws" such as the prohibition of alcohol sales on "holy" days.

These types of laws generally reflect the standards of each community and, subsequently, these laws will vary from community to community or from state to state. In the case of "blue laws," if you don't like it, then you need to seek to change it through legal means (instead of whining about it). This is, after all, a free nation where the laws are created by the citizens and not by a dictator. It is your inaction that propigates sloth.

Regarding "assisted suicide," this is a touchy subject. Exactly who has a legal right to help kill another human being??? Historically, we have given this power to the state and only under legally authorized conditions, such as a capitol execution for murder.

As another, albeit different egregious example, let us consider the Terry Schiavo case. Exactly who should decide whether it is okay to kill her??? You? Her husband (who BTW wants her dead)??? Her parents (who BTW want her to live)??? A judge???

The taking of human life is a very touchy issue and is not to be handled lightly nor dispensed easily. When we begin killing the weak, the handicapped and the elderly, then who is next??? How do you know that you won't be next, based upon the opinion you hold or the color of your hair??? If you are pro-death, then are you also a Nazi in search of a utopian world???

Posted by Frith
Snip...
6. freedom of expression suppression such as enforcement of "protest zone"

You hae the freedom to express yourself in the United States. The only time your freedom may be supressed is if acts of emminent violence have been correlated to specific areas, such as directly in front of an abortion clinic. You are free to protest, but not necessarily directly in front of the clinic. Why??? Because bombings and murders have been associated with these particular locations. Otherwise, as long as the threat of public harm is not in imminent jeopardy, you are free to protest without fear of being arrested.

BTW, if a crowd becomes disorderly, then the police can also order them to disburse. Disorderly conduct is usually associated with some sort of a threat to public harm ie. broken windows in storefronts, minor assaults, etc...

Posted by Frith
Snip...
7. drug bans and the hugely inflated jail rates as a result of such enforcements.

Oh please.
That's another urban legend.
Most minor drug offenders are either not arrested or are given "time served" by the time they get to a judge.

Posted by Frith
Snip...
Plus one of the biggest issues I have with justice, the issue of jailing individuals who are considered "innocent until proven guilty".

Lets use Chester the molester as an example. He is arrested by the police for sexually molesting several children, but he hasn't been tried in court -- are you suggested that he should remain free in the community, without posting bail? Should Jeffrey Dahmer have remained loose in the community until after he was found guilty in court???

Posted by Frith
Snip...
While a case can be made for a few who may flee or commit further violent acts, a grand majority of people do not do that.

How are we to prognosticate who will and who won't commit another criminal act??? Should we use a crystal ball to help us in our decision???

Posted by Frith
Snip...
Not to mention that people can already do something similar by bribing their way out of jail through the usage of "bail".

Being rich has its privilages. Just ask OJ Simpson.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Posted by abdul
  • 90 percent of the cops are racist, macho idiots who are borderline psychotic...
  • the remaining 10 percent of cops are truly good people who have misguided intentions.....

90% + 10% = 100%

So, uhhhhh, you're saying that:
  • 90% of the cops are crooked racists.
  • and then you turn around and find fault with the remaining 10% who are honest?
It sounds like you find fault with 100% of the cops!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Is it really safety?

It works for us

Better you than me freind, im happy AND safe here in Australia. Excepting in the state of vic police dont ever draw their weapons unless they are going to use them, and not many people get shot in police/civvie confrontations.
There is just nowhere near the level of fear and paranoia in Australia, police dont fear the public because they are unarmed.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
um...on a side note...

Look up what guns kill cops...it sure ain't the one's that are bought and registered.

The people here that "like" guns. arn't waving them in the air and running around town shooting people.

it's always the 22 or the 38 with the markings filed off.

If you want me to look up the statistics...let me know.

I understand that but i have to say, plenty of folk ARE waving guns and shooting them over there, regardless those are illegal stolen, blackmarket sat night specials or not. Its a point in general ok. Too many guns, easily avail.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I understand that but i have to say, plenty of folk ARE waving guns and shooting them over there, regardless those are illegal stolen, blackmarket sat night specials or not. Its a point in general ok. Too many guns, easily avail.

Understood. but my right to BUY a gun (2nd). Have my background checked and all that jazz and have a gun.....

Has nothing to do with someone grabbing an AK from the black market and robbing a bank.

Changing my 2nd will not change their access to guns.

It will however affect MY access to guns.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
I agree "The Police are our friends," the question is when?

Given unfriendly "procedures," and "training," you will be hard pressed in a bad situation to find a thinking policeman, one who apprises your situation, overcomes his reflexive and trained instincts, and becomes a community based policeman instead. Think of a finding a friendly policeman as somewhat like winning roulette maybe, and if he has a "bad cop," partner like getting a visit from Ed McMahon telling you that you are set for life.

How is it that you consider the "procedures" and "training" of the police to be unfriendly? If a cop tells me to "move along," then I do exactly that!!! If I'm told to turn around and place my hands behind my back because I'm under arrest, then I do exactly that!!! It's only when people begin to "resist" that they start to run into problems.

If you disagree with an officer, there is a proper time and a place to address your concerns, but persistenly arguing with him in the street is not necessarily the best time and place. The proper place to appeal the officer's decision is either in front of a judge or in front of the officer's supervisor -- both at a later time.

Officers are given specialized training in how to defeat and overcome those who "resist." Subsequently, it is wise to not resist -- at least not at that moment in time. Pick your battles wisely. Sometimes it is best to cooperate today so we can resist tomorrow, with counsel at our side.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

If you disagree with an officer, there is a proper time and a place to address your concerns, but persistenly arguing with him in the street is not necessarily the best time and place. The proper place to appeal the officer's decision is either in front of a judge or in front of the officer's supervisor -- both at a later time.

Not always true.
I have had bad days...given people # that I should not have...

Cops are the same as regular people.

You get pulled over after his wife gave him a huge BJ...he's going to be a happy man...your getting a warning.

You get grabbed with pot after he just caught his daughter smoking it....your #ed.

we're all human.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

There is just nowhere near the level of fear and paranoia in Australia, police dont fear the public because they are unarmed.

I dont fear the police here and they dont fear me. It might be different in the bigger cities but around here its seldom an issue. I dont have a lot of respect for cops (I know too many) but I dont hate or fear them.

Around here they are usually underpaid and undereducated and act like bullies some times BUT they are doing a job that has to be done. One was over for dinner today and I didnt see horns on him. I have seen them abuse there power and act like jerks but I have also seen them save lives and go into situations that anyone with common sense would be running from.

The Laws and the Police are what we ALLOW them to be.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Posted by creamsoda
The majority of cops are corrupt. Just about all (95%) of them are.

Wow, you're prejudiced!!! Based upon the color of a man's uniform (police blue) you think that 95% of all cops are crooked.

Similarly, based upon the color of a man's skin, would you make the same sort of blanket judgment???

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join