It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Police Are Our Friends

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
never met a cop who helped me, it seems all they are concnered with is intimidating you to fufill their power hungry desire and waste your time with redundant checks and paper work so they can get paid. any one who shells out an 80$ ticket for no seat belt is not my friend.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Some cops are the Citizens friends. I have met some of them, but I have to say there are alot of bad apples out there who are no better then the criminals they are supposed to be against. However the vast majority of police treat it just like any other job, and really don't care one way or the other, they go to work put in thier hours and go home to the wife/husband and kids.

I am talking from a Canadian perspective and at least from where I am standing the Police are doing a fairly good job at keeping the Violence to a minimum. Despite a somewhat "Boys Club" Attitude amoung Toronto Cops and also despite the wars between the outgoing Julian Fantino and the Police Oversight board. I have a question, do people really believe in Civilian Oversight? And would you also agree to having the Civilian oversight commitee in Police HQ? I see a potential conflict of interest(actually more then potential... we've been having major problems on the Narc squad dealing with corruption, coverups and meddling with the oversight board...)

[edit on 22-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Ive known cops all of my life since i was a little child i met a cop who gave me rides in his police car and was always nice to me and my family and he used to let me play with his lights in the car that was a good friend of mine after that i rode with some of my city bicycle patrol officers with them on my bike and they were also good to me and some of my best friends are cops i dont see any problems with them but most peolple do for some reason just because they enforce the law and do their job some people dont realize that its their job to do what they have to do and thats how its always gonna be no diffrent, ive replied to many of the police bashing threads on here with disgust about it due to the bashing that goes on.. my favorite show is cops not because of people getting hit and all that but because i love the chases and routine traffic stops from time to time but when people run and you get chased then the cops become the enemy and people think they are untouchable but its not really like this its the opposite because you ran.. but in all fareness i like this thread for once but you will always have those people that just dont understand a cop's job i would love to be a cop in a few years why not? because i love the job but like ive said in the past feel free to quote me to death cause thats all i have to say.

[edit on 22-1-2005 by ShadowMan]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
any one who shells out an 80$ ticket for no seat belt is not my friend.

So you rather die in a car accident then pay a 80$ ticket.. come on..

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
Friends? No, they are not, and the sooner you realize that and live your life in a way that keeps you away from them, the better. Take it from someone who wore a badge: watch this movie.

So let me get this right; you want everyone to watch a Sci Fi movie and consider it as real life? I do not think so.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I love when people base their "reality" on a movie...it truely hurts their credibility...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Trust me cops are NOT your friends. I agree with sturod84..read my thread on cops. They might be nice while your around. but they all stick out their chest to everybody like they are some kind of superpower. Read this thread I wrote.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
There was an incident where the cops shot a black man in his back.Then they planted a gun on him to say that he was pullin a gun on them.After investigation the guy aint have no gun.Police shot him in cold blood.

Rodney King, watch the tape

My father....

However there are good cops.I've asked people who know and from what they tell me the majority are corrupt.Instead of a war on drugs, how about a war on poverty?Drug usage stems on poverty.Money can change anyone, cops aren't immune, you have to understand that.I saw a cop shoot a man for no reason.NO REASON.I know of specific corrupt cops in my area.Also, i know of d cops who are working undercover.It doesnt help when they know your undercover, now does it.The cops beat my dad and broke his leg.Slammed it in a car door, twice.He stood bleeding in the back of a police car for 2 hours.In shock.He almost died.They just now offered him 20 thousand, he didnt accept.Been having a lawsuit with them for 4 years, since 2000.A cop also tasered a good friend of mine recently, but i think he had a good reason to.she walked up arguing.There are good cops too, dont forget.

-Mono

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I don't want a cop to be my friend,

I want a cop to arrest bad people that make my life difficult. I want them to give tickets to people who are speeding, arrest bank robbers and in general keep the peace. I want them to shoot homicidal maniacs and have wild car chases with thieves that I can watch live if a helicoptor is in the vicinity. I want them to bust burglery rings so I know my home is safe while i'm at work. I want them to take passed out drunks to homeless shelters or jail on freezing nights so I don't have to read about how they died. I want them to beat the crap out of guys who abuse their wives and girlfriends and use night sticks on creeps that go after children.

No, a cop is not my friend and I don't expect one to be. If I ever get that desperate for a friend i'll buy a F&%king dog.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I believe that there are good cops. And I know there are great cops, but the point Im just trying to get around is that the majority of them are corrupt. Just about all (95%) of them are. Some have reasons to do things and some dont.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You obviously new here...im an Officer...and Ive worked with the police dept here in NYC for almost 5 years as an officer and as a civilian...and youre just flat at wrong...yes the a-hole cop will stand out in your mind faster then the average...but 98% of cops are decent people...why else would we take a low paying job that can be extremely dangerous?....dont say "for a power trip"...because that doesnt cut it...Ill tell you why I took the job...because Ive seen how bad some parts of my city are...before I was a cop Ive had guns pulled on me twice...my car broken into twice...my mother pick pocketed...my brother car stolen...and I live in a decent part of Queens...I took it because I hate seeing people get taken advantage of and seeing people become a vitcim due to some scumbag...I hate to see when people dont help out other people...Most cops dont enjoy giving out tickets...but their hands are twisted by the higher ups to come up with unofficial numbers...I enjoy it when I collar someone for something seriously wrong...thats the only thing I get out of doing this...as a cop...I've had more people call me racist, an @sshole, corrupt, yada yada then you'd believe...Im half hispanic, half white...and Ive been called a racist by both sides...Ive been called an @sshole by ladies speeding down the street, with their kids jumping around the back seat, in the middle of the day...for giving them a seatbelt ticket...but if the same lady where to crash and the kids killed...it'd be called a tragedy and the people would be screaming "why didnt the police do anything about it"....Ive had protestors call me pig...and all other sorts of name...acting like I WANTED to be there dealing with million people...ON MY DAY OFF BECAUSE IM FORCED INTO WORK...the job sucks because the people dont generally like us...the city pays us no mind unless we do something wrong...everyone loves firefighters...but hates us mainly because if we are there...something bad has happened...cut cops some slack...and dont let the few bad apples destroy the bunch....

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
And by the way....in NYC we are getting like 12 inches of snow tonight...we've got in between 6-8 already...I have to drive around all night now making sure things are ok....and probably dealing with a buttload of accidents...I cant call out...my job will be open...and accepting calls (unlike most)...what will you be doing?

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ok...my input.

The police are NOT your friends.
Your friends are those guys and girls you hang out with and have drinks with and buy presents for on their birthday.

The police are there to uphold the law.
That is all.
Most people don't like the police because the only time they see them is when they are breaking the law.

My father was a Mass State Trooper for 18 years.
Yes, there are good cops and bad cops, yes you may catch one having a good day or a bad day.

They are there to uphold the law.

that is all.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
Ok...my input.

The police are NOT your friends.
Your friends are those guys and girls you hang out with and have drinks with and buy presents for on their birthday.

lol....very true...I missed the obvious...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by Chakotay
Friends? No, they are not, and the sooner you realize that and live your life in a way that keeps you away from them, the better. Take it from someone who wore a badge: watch this movie.

So let me get this right; you want everyone to watch a Sci Fi movie and consider it as real life? I do not think so.

No Shots. I want you to understand that when I pin on a badge and strap on a gun with the full authority of the State behind me, my role is not to be your friend. It is to put you in your place, shut you up and repress you if you in any way attract my attention. I am trained to repress you as an individual, and I am trained to repress you as a group. If you trigger my subliminal training in the wrong way, I will beat you or shoot you. I will put you so far back in a dark hole that you will forget what it is like for a bird to sing, if you bother me and I can find any legal excuse to put you back in your place, which is under my boot. I want you to watch that sci-fi movie and learn what the pure unadulterated role of the Police is, and then I want you to spend the rest of your life seeing to it that people like me do not gain any more power or authority than we already have. Because we will use it against you, and if you doubt that, you just don't know cops. A person with a heart has to get out of that job; its not love and light.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You obviously didnt read my above thread...you are wrong my friend...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
if Chakotay is a police officer....I'm a watermelon.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
A point. police are TRAINED at academy level to treat everyone and every situatuation as suspicious, to beleive everyone has commited a crime or are planning to. Police have told me this personally.
So much for innocent until proven guilty.
They are virtually brainwashed with police phsycology before they become a cop. Without it the average joe/jane would be too prone to "humanity"
i.e. to prone to giving someone a break, looking the otherway, using their own judgement.
Cops are phsy trained to bust dear old granny! In fact they couldnt do the job if they were not.

www.policepsych.com...

[edit on 063131p://55016 by instar]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
ok, you bunch of crazies, training is training ok.....no cop wants to walk up to a car window and get shot.

So next time you get pulled over for speeding, put your hands on the steering wheel so they can see em.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
A point. police are TRAINED at academy level to treat everyone and every situatuation as suspicious, to beleive everyone has commited a crime or are planning to. Police have told me this personally.
So much for innocent until proven guilty.

It's not about innocence or guilt. It's about not getting stabbed or shot over a traffic ticket. A lot of people overestimate the amoutn of protection an officer has. Part of staying alive on the job is being commanding, intimidating, and suspicious. While a fair amount of the populace won't take a swing at an officer, there's a surprising amount of people who will, much less pull a knife, etc.

DE

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join