It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Assange's mental, physical health deteriorating under embassy confinement – medical records

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

So it's OK for the federal government to break the law, but when someone exposes them we hit them with the book?

I hate this world haha

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

No he leaked information about the US, which is not his country.

He is Australian and not American so my original post stands.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

he was not on US soil. He was in Iraq when the middle East when the info was sent. Like I said Assange actively assisted Manning by providing software for him to send the classified info. The US laws in question apply to Assange.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The governments of the west as well as their corporate masters are all in bed with each other, lets not pretend they are separate entities.

link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

So it's OK for the federal government to break the law, but when someone exposes them we hit them with the book?

I hate this world haha

Aside from the Clinton mess what federal laws were broke that he exposed?

link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The governments of the west as well as their corporate masters are all in bed with each other, lets not pretend they are separate entities.

Which has no bearing on the topic or Assange violating the law.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Then why did you bring it up ?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Off the top of my head I can't answer that. But he is the one who saved Snowden, so that made whatever target existed one of our largest.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

he was not on US soil. He was in Iraq when the middle East when the info was sent. Like I said Assange actively assisted Manning by providing software for him to send the classified info. The US laws in question apply to Assange.

Manning was on a US military base, but where he was doesn't matter because he's a US citizen. That's why he's in the trouble he's in.

Assange is an Australian residing in Europe. US law doesn't apply to him. Providing Manning with a computer program wouldn't be enough (Did he even do that? I was under the impression Manning simply used a CD-RW and copied files to it) and Assange's servers to distribute information weren't located in the US either.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

On this issue I'll agree with Xcathdra. It's a double edged view from your standpoint. If you view it as he's safe from our laws than he's an enemy of the state. You would want him to be granted into our legal system rather than gitmo.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

On this issue I'll agree with Xcathdra. It's a double edged view from your standpoint. If you view it as he's safe from our laws than he's an enemy of the state. You would want him to be granted into our legal system rather than gitmo.

Under US law, one can only be placed in gitmo if they're an enemy combatant. He's not a combatant though, depending on your view he's somewhere between a journalist and a spy. That's not something he could be put there for.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I didn't, you did.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Gitmo represents us breaking our own and international law. I agree with you on this one, because him and Snowden would parish in a car wreck. They would never see gitmo.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

If you cant name the law violations he "exposed" then why defend him?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Actually US laws in question would apply to him. He received classified information and then he distributed that information. Citizenship or location has no bearing on the statute. If a person in Moscow orders a person in London be killed does that mean the people in Moscow can't be held liable under the law?

Where are people getting this incorrect notion that geography cant exempt a person from breaking the law?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I think the term hactivist applies.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I agreed with you on exposing Clinton's.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Gitmo represents us breaking our own and international law. I agree with you on this one, because him and Snowden would parish in a car wreck. They would never see gitmo.

We did not violate US law nor did we violate international law. The Geneva Conventions is specific on requirements required in order to be considered a prisoner of war verse enemy combatant.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I agreed with you on exposing Clinton's.

See to me that type of behavior, exposing real corruption, is valid.

Printing confidential diplomatic cables on the other hand showing no illegal actions is not protected and undermines the very reason he states wikileaks stands for - exposing government corruption.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ssenerawa
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

He's not being detained, he can leave. Although he'd have to wait until like 2020, the charges expire

Does Sweden have John/Jane Doe indictments like the US legal system?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join