It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK government refuses to give MPs vote on arms sales to Saudi Arabia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Source, with another source at the bottom of the article!

Well this... Is just disgusting in my opinion.

I never hide the fact that I am an ardent Muslim, almost fundamentalist depending on the situation...
But my hatred for Saudi Arabia is also no secret...

Which I discuss at length here and in my real life ventures...

This, seems unconstitutional, & treasonous...

Who are above our MPs to decide when and where they can vote on Arms Dealership to a Tyrannical Terrorist Country...

If you ask me, which you didn't, but I will say it anyways, this is disgraceful.

& I am beyond pissed that our government is unilaterally making Arms deals and assisting a genocidal invasion of Yemen while they're at it.

‘The British government refuses to give lawmakers a vote on whether to keep selling arms to Saudi Arabia, engaged in war crimes in Yemen.

2 paragraphs snipped...

However, there have been reports of political maneuvering in the parliament in order to prevent lawmakers from blocking arms sales to Saudis.’

Sickening.

edit on 15-9-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Spelling.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yeah, The House of Saud is deplorable, but the U.K Government will never allow the house a vote on the selling of arms to them.

Damn, we even send troops over to ensure the Saudis are using the equipment correctly, and cause as much damage as possible. Although the Government have advised that they are merely observing.

Although, I think Jeremy Corbyn would take a different stance.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well, it is David Icke's slant... 'nuff said.

Have any MPs (referred to as "law-makers" in the article) actually called for a debate on this issue? Committee on Arms Exports publish reports and their hearings are not closed. In other words, the government is scrutinised.

I am not giving excuses for the revolting woman-hating regime, but there has to be fact introduced into the mecahnics of government...

Committee on Arms Controls

PS Follow the reporting trail. Icke is rehashing an article from PressTV the Iranian propaganda mouthpiece, which is itself referencing an unlinked Guardian source with a quote from a Green MP taken from the Independent. Shoddy.
edit on 15/9/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Well here's another article in the independent.

www.independent.co.uk...

And here's another article from 7th September, excerpt as follows:-

The UK should stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia while Saudi actions in neighbouring Yemen are investigated, a draft report by MPs has said. The Committees on Arms Export Controls said it was highly likely that weapons had been used to violate international humanitarian and human rights laws. The draft report has been seen by the BBC's Newsnight programme.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

The fact that the people are not the ones making this choice is bad enough, but no not even allow our elected representatives to make protestation on our behalf to this sale by way of a vote?

It may not be strictly treasonous, but there ought to be a criminal offence written into statute preventing our government from acting in serious matters without public consent on the specific issue at hand. They simply cannot be trusted to act in our best interests in this matter, because there is too much money, not to mention far too many power players invested in the outcome.

For shame.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Unfortunately the lobbyists are listened to the most, with promises of Board membership when M.P's retire along with kids school fees being taken care of, maybe a nice Mercededs for the wife, a fully expensed flat for the mistress.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Well, quite.

However, I paid my taxes, and so do most of the rest of us. So with that in mind, the hell with that noise. We need a godamned revolution.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Political revolution is well overdue, it will come about through embraced change, or enforced change.

A Government by the people, for the people.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Sorry, I clearly did not make myself clear. This is a view from Caroline Lucas the (only) Green Party MP, it has been re-reported several times until it reached the OP and David Icke's website, along the way collecting a slant. Ms Lucas is quite an effective campaigner who I actually like, and is active in asking questions from the Government on a range of issues. Sadly, she has not herself pressed for a debate on the issue in hand by asking "why", well not as far as I can see.

Caroline Lucas Parliamentary questions inc. Saudi

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Perhaps you didn't read the second article I posted relating to what Committees on Arms Export Controls said?

So unless Caroline Lucas is chair and every other person on the committee.......

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
And there's this article in the Guardian which states "One in three Saudi air raids on Yemen hit civilian sites"

Please tell me we are not providing these Saudi terrorists with missiles/bombs too?

edit on 83156bAmerica/ChicagoFri, 16 Sep 2016 15:56:28 -05003016 by 83Liberty because: typo

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I'm more in favour of consistency.

Saudis sit on the UN Human Rights Council despite being rated as one of the most repressive nations in the world. We seem to turn a blind eye to the credible reports of human rights abuses and then go act upon similar reports in neighbouring countries.

I'm not particularly in favour of any interventions. It makes us look like business deals dictate our foreign policies. I understand the reluctance to wobble the aircraft deal because it's been years and years in the making; reputations are riding on it and so are BAE. Still, it makes us look hypocritical when we'll boycott/freeze funds and so forth in some countries and do business with those who can afford it.

new topics

top topics

join