It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Donald Trump Jr Says Father Releasing Taxes Would Be A Distraction

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm not concerned about his tax returns either. He has already given them 100 pages of his financials, which says a whole lot more than a tax return would.

Reminder: The Clintons hid $20,000,000 in government grant money and foreign donations in 2010, 2011,2012, 2013. It wasn't until she decided to make a run for the presidency that they quietly had an independent audit and "fix", then quietly filed their amended returns. Then she went on to get the Dem nomination.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: matafuchs

having seen the way people are pouring over the most recent DNC leaks grasping at straw after straw, mischaracterizing, misinterpeting and misrepresenting — I can see the point Trump's sons are (hypocritically) making. On the other hand, besides suggesting that the whole "IRS audit" business has never been anything but a lie, these comments also suggest that Trump may in fact have some things to hide.

Anyone can read emails. Not all are tax attorneys but would suddenly become one.

As long as Trump can continue to successfully avoid transparency, not even his most committed supporters can honestly say that his closet is any less populated with skeletons than Clinton's

Speculation....and finally....

What is going to be found that cannot already be found in his Personal Financial Disclosures? Is it really just about seeing the tax rate he paid? or charitable contributions?

There is no positive outcome for Trump to release his returns.

His income will either be too high or too low. if it is high, he is greedy. if it is low, he is a liar.

His charitable contributions will be too low or if he did give a lot of money away, then it was to the wrong cause.

If he claims any legal deductions or tax avoidance strategies then he is a tax cheat. If his percent claimed is too low, then he is a tax cheat. If his percent claimed is too high they will question his business acumen.

Yes and those voting for him, or considering voting for him, deserve the transparency so they can vote their conscience...

Just because you do not care if he is a "tax cheat" or a "liar" doesn't mean millions Americans do.

It's called principle, and only the deplorable ilk would not understand what principle is.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

What is going to be found that cannot already be found in his Personal Financial Disclosures? Is it really just about seeing the tax rate he paid? or charitable contributions?

And the funny thing is...that cannot be known until after the audit is complete.

The tax rate on his returns, as filed, may be lower than the final result (assuming that the IRS "won" in some kind of disagreement about the tax treatment of a material item on his returns). The Tax Code is complex...as is (no doubt) Trump's 1,200 page return. His tax rate can only be known, for certain, when the return is stamped "final".

I, personally, would not be surprised if some of Trump's income is legally "sheltered" somewhere...because he and his Tax Accountants are not dumb...and this would lead to unfair accusations of him "cheating" the tax man, or trying to "evade" taxes - which, if he has used the available legal structures, would be both an inaccurate characterization, and unfair.

The vast majority of the voting public would either not understand the complexities of the legal arguments involved in "tax evasion" versus "tax avoidance" - or would not take the time to try to understand them. They would, however, understand (and remember) the blaring headlines insinuating wrongdoing.

Mr. Trump won't feed the trolls.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
I'm not concerned about his tax returns either. He has already given them 100 pages of his financials, which says a whole lot more than a tax return would.

Reminder: The Clintons hid $20,000,000 in government grant money and foreign donations in 2010, 2011,2012, 2013. It wasn't until she decided to make a run for the presidency that they quietly had an independent audit and "fix", then quietly filed their amended returns. Then she went on to get the Dem nomination.

"Reminder"... Or Deflection???

You're definitely transparent.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Last month, Eric Trump said it would be "foolish"

“You would have a bunch of people who know nothing about taxes trying to look through and trying to come up with assumptions on things they know nothing about,” he said.

“It would be foolish to do. I’m actually the biggest proponent of not doing it.”

Makes perfect sense to me in this political climate. Also explains why Clinton didn't want to release her health info as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: nobunaga

Why don't we compare apples to apples? Hillary HAS released her tax returns. It's Trump's turn to release his.

But then, Trump supporters wouldn't be able to argue against this one.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Distract from Trumps main message? What's that? Making America great again? The way Trump flip flops on every issue its really hard to imagine his tax returns being the distraction here.

The reason Trump won't release his tax returns is because he's hiding something. My guess, he doesn't make and or have as much money as he claims which I couldn't care less about but it's a really big deal to him. He's also probably hiding the fact he doesn't give money to charities like he brags he does.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Yeah, I find his oldest sons to be very creepy. Maybe it's their lame greased backed hair.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I think he won't release them because he can't flip-flop a piece of paper. He has to agree with whatever is on it, thus he can't say one thing, then walk it back, then walk THAT statement back because a tax return isn't going to change whats on it regardless of what the owner says about their taxes.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Lol good stuff theantixuenchen
edit on 15-9-2016 by Lysergic because: more letters tHan I thought

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Oh, I don't think so. Facts, truth, reality, none of these things matter or affect Trump and his supporters perception of him. The lies will not stop no matter what from camp Trump. It's really sad people adore him so much.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Simply put, for a person who claims to be "anti-establishment/wall street" I would like to see how she speaks to them, behind closed doors.. She cried poor house leaving the white house, she now has a reported net worth over $100 million while working "for the people". Politics should NEVER be a position to get you incredibly wealthy. You get into politics to serve the people and make a difference. She has only made a difference to her personal interests and cronies she helps out/protects...

Now, Trump should release his tax returns, I do agree with that. I don't want ANYONE hiding anything. Transparency should be the name of the game, when electing someone that will be given SO much power.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Yeah I know. I'm just joking around and poking fun of how Trump releases "information".

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: Edumakated

having seen the way people are pouring over the most recent DNC leaks grasping at straw after straw, mischaracterizing, misinterpeting and misrepresenting — I can see the point Trump's sons are (hypocritically) making. On the other hand, besides suggesting that the whole "IRS audit" business has never been anything but a lie, these comments also suggest that Trump may in fact have some things to hide.

Anyone can read emails. Not all are tax attorneys but would suddenly become one.

As long as Trump can continue to successfully avoid transparency, not even his most committed supporters can honestly say that his closet is any less populated with skeletons than Clinton's

There is no positive outcome for Trump to release his returns.

His income will either be too high or too low. if it is high, he is greedy. if it is low, he is a liar.

His charitable contributions will be too low or if he did give a lot of money away, then it was to the wrong cause.

If he claims any legal deductions or tax avoidance strategies then he is a tax cheat. If his percent claimed is too low, then he is a tax cheat. If his percent claimed is too high they will question his business acumen.

Yes and those voting for him, or considering voting for him, deserve the transparency so they can vote their conscience...

Just because you do not care if he is a "tax cheat" or a "liar" doesn't mean millions Americans do.

It's called principle, and only the deplorable ilk would not understand what principle is.

Thank you for proving my point that there is no positive outcome for Trump. Trump may have filed everything perfectly and it could still be spun negatively as a tax cheat or greedy. Heck, varying tax accountants can't even do a return for someone making $50,000 consistently because of our convoluted tax code.

Personally, I don't care about any candidates tax returns.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
another line,

There’s nothing there. But if there is, they’re going to try to create a story.

'of course there isn't a body in the basement. there might be, DON'T GO INTO THE BASEMENT.'

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

"He's got a 12,000-page tax return that would create ... financial auditors out of every person in the country, asking questions that would detract from [Trump's] main message," Trump Jr. said during a meeting with Tribune-Review editors and reporters.

He's got a point. Flimsy legal evidence for Hillary's email scandal seems to have made lawyers out of most of the country.

Trump should still release his returns though. This is a cop out.

I also think this move can set a precedent for future candidates. Why should any other presidential candidate release his/tax tax data since it's not a legal requirement?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I find his oldest sons to be very creepy. Maybe it's their lame greased backed hair.

It certainly doesn't help

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I'm not disagreeing that there are lot of people who comment out of ignorance about things they don't understand. Look at the stampede of stupid following the recent DNC email leak. Welcome to the Internet.

That's the same problem that anyone releasing anything faces. Is your argument that the masses are too profoundly stupid for transparency to be an expectation or just transparency from Trump? What about Trump makes him exempt from the same scrutiny as anyone else?

The other thing is that there ARE tens of thousands of experts in corporate tax law, accounting, etc.

Those are the people whose opinions should count the most and not random bloggers, propagandists and jackasses on Twitter. Those are the people that are ultimately the biggest concern for any candidate who doesn't want to release his tax returns.

That's ironic isn't it? You try to call me out for 'speculation' and then in the very next line, you ask me to speculate about what's not being revealed by Trump by not releasing his taxes.

Which is it?

Here again is your cognitive dissonance at work: If the PFD is all revealing, then there's nothing to hide in the taxes and so he shouldn't have a problem releasing them.

Except we both know they're not the same thing. The PFD presents an opportunity to carefully construct a picture of what Trump/his campaign want the public to see — an artifice giving the appearance of disclosure.

The only way we could know what is to be found is to for Trump to submit to the same standard of transparency that presidential candidates have been submitting to for the last half century and as has been pointed out, one that even Crooked Hillary has.
edit on 2016-9-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

That's ironic isn't it? You try to call me out for 'speculation' and then in the very next line, you ask me to speculate about what's not being revealed by Trump by not releasing his taxes.

Which is it?

Here again is your cognitive dissonance at work: If the PFD is all revealing, then there's nothing to hide in the taxes and so he shouldn't have a problem releasing them.

Exactly.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the response. To be honest, I have always thought it was a talking point that had nothing to do with the election. A fringe issue that can be used by one candidate to deflect from real issues. Like the ProLife/ProChoice debate. I cannot believe that it has not been an issue that has arisen this year.

I would rather hear about the issues.

Finally, the IRS is so controlled by the current admin are you not the least bit surprised they have not been 'leaked' yet. I am thinking the only reason is why is there is nothing there.

Thanks ante...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join