It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Donald Trump Jr Says Father Releasing Taxes Would Be A Distraction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Donald Trump Jr made some telling remarks yesterday about the prospects of his father releasing his tax returns:

The Hill - Trump's son: Not releasing tax returns because scrutiny would be distraction

"He's got a 12,000-page tax return that would create ... financial auditors out of every person in the country, asking questions that would detract from [Trump's] main message," Trump Jr. said during a meeting with Tribune-Review editors and reporters.

Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, has faced criticism in the past for not releasing his tax returns. He has repeatedly pushed back against calls to release the documents, saying he is under audit by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The IRS has said that nothing prevents Trump from releasing his tax returns.

While not at all in line with this BS excuse from Trump about not releasing tax returns while under audit, Donald Jr's comments are in line with brother Eric's:

Last month, Eric Trump said it would be "foolish"

“You would have a bunch of people who know nothing about taxes trying to look through and trying to come up with assumptions on things they know nothing about,” he said.

“It would be foolish to do. I’m actually the biggest proponent of not doing it.”

On the one hand, having seen the way people are pouring over the most recent DNC leaks grasping at straw after straw, mischaracterizing, misinterpeting and misrepresenting — I can see the point Trump's sons are (hypocritically) making. On the other hand, besides suggesting that the whole "IRS audit" business has never been anything but a lie, these comments also suggest that Trump may in fact have some things to hide.

Candidates have been releasing tax returns since the 70's. The idea that the details of Trump's taxes are uniquely prone to being miscontrued is an utterly false premise. There are multiple examples of candidates being resistant to releasing taxes and just as many examples of legitimate criticisms leveled upon the release of candidate's tax returns.

What Trump is doing is avoiding transparency and it's no different than what Clinton does.

Both of the candidates desperately seek to control information to avoid the possibility of scrutiny and the questions that would follow — questions that they know they won't have good answers for. Transparency leads to accountability. Neither of these clowns want to be accountable.

Clinton has tried to resist tranparency and repeatedly failed miserably. Why? Because there's been a massive effort to pry information from her clutches. Shouldn't we apply to Trump at least some measure of the same pressure instead of some of us assuming that the lack of information — information that he's deliberately and strategically avoiding the release of — equates to a lack of impropriety, questionable relationships, etc?

Do we really want one candidate to be exposed and scrutinized while the other successfully hides? How can anyone sincerely defend a position like that?

As long as Trump can continue to successfully avoid transparency, not even his most committed supporters can honestly say that his closet is any less populated with skeletons than Clinton's.
edit on 2016-9-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

More excuses. His sons seems like such slimeballs too (Eric, the blonder one reminds me of the antagonist from that movie the Purge) - the type of trust fund kid who thinks he and his family are better than literally everyone else.

edit on 15-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Here's the deal...

Hillary releases medical records Trump releases tax returns.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Just curious do you have anything to back that claim up other than you don't like his blonde hair???

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

basically you're saying they are both untrustworthy, vote Clinton.

How about no, Scott.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

Here's the deal...

Hillary releases medical records Trump releases tax returns.

clinton released the medical records yesterday.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Lets once and for all put everything to rest, Trump releases tax returns and Hillary gives us the speech transcripts from Goldman Sachs (among other major banking institutions)..

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

"He's got a 12,000-page tax return that would create ... financial auditors out of every person in the country, asking questions that would detract from [Trump's] main message," Trump Jr. said during a meeting with Tribune-Review editors and reporters.

He's got a point. Flimsy legal evidence for Hillary's email scandal seems to have made lawyers out of most of the country.

Trump should still release his returns though. This is a cop out.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

I don't need to "back up" my opinion that they seem like slimeballs who have an elitist mentality. That's the great thing about opinions

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Lets once and for all put everything to rest, Trump releases tax returns and Hillary gives us the speech transcripts from Goldman Sachs (among other major banking institutions)..

Technically, for all the flak that Hillary receives for her transparency, she is WAAAAAAY more transparent than Trump is. Like it's not even a close comparison.
When it comes to transparency, there’s no comparison between Clinton and Trump
This isn't to say that Clinton shouldn't be more transparent. She definitely should, but Trump really doesn't have any legs to stand on when he calls her out for it.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I did say that they are both untrustworthy. Do you disagree? I did not say that anyone should vote for Clinton and I've never said that Clinton should be exempt from transparency either.

Do you have a problem with Trump being transparent? This isn't anything special, we're talking about doing the bare minimum that every other candidate has done since the 70's.

What's the problem? What's the argument you're making? Correct me if I'm mistaken but it seems like it could be construed as:

"We know Clinton is terrible and therefore there's no need for Trump to even meet the standards of the past half century of elections"

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
the antetrumpvian...

im sure theres something in 12000 pages that can be scrutinized. its a game to the don. if hillary releases her deleted email ( which we all know will never happen ) then he would release his taxes -
its not going to happen, because he is not going to hold himself open to being scrutinized.

everyone has skeletons - trump im sure has graveyards. however, him not letting out taxes, doesnt make me look at him any different.
his kids are not slimeballs either. they are more presidential than the don is, and if don doesnt win, i see don jr running in the future.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Screw it. I'm voting for the most transparent, open and intelligent candidate possible.

Edward Snowden for President.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

Why don't we compare apples to apples? Hillary HAS released her tax returns. It's Trump's turn to release his.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Trump's kids are as entitled to their opinions about whether or not their father should release his tax returns as anybody else.

The thing is, though, it is Donald Trump who gets to make that decision. And...many, many, many times he has stated that he will release his taxes after the current audit is done.

Period, end of story. He is not required by law to make them public...and he chooses not to (no doubt in my mind a political calculation).

This on-going pressure campaign is a distraction from the real issues involved in the campaign. The left, and the MSM, keep needling Trump about his Tax Returns because "maybe there is something there"...entirely undefined...that they could use against him. All the while, they try to avoid/ignore the very real issues surrounding Clinton's handling of Classified materials, indications of rampant corruption, on-going lies told to the American public (multiple issues including her ill health).

If I was Trump, I would just keep the lid on my Tax Returns too - like they say, don't feed the trolls.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

I have absolutely no problem with people demanding that Clinton release those transcripts. Why would I?

It seems however that you're looking for a "that's fair" from me as though Trump's transparency should be dependent upon further transparency from Clinton. Setting aside the fact that we should all expect a certain level of transparency regardless of the insipid tit-for-tat that candidates might insist on, Clinton has in fact already released her tax returns.

So even by your own logic, it's Trump's turn, not Clinton's turn to release more isn't it?

I don't care about Clinton. In fact, both of them could see their campaigns, careers, etc go up in flames, drop out and never be heard from again and I'd be just fine with it. How about you? Are you that attached to Trump that you'll actually argue that his dirty laundry shouldn't be aired because it might just be dirtier than Clinton's?

If that's the case, explain your attachment in the first place.
edit on 2016-9-15 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
he managed to get a gas chamber reference in
linky

If Republicans were doing that, they’d be warming up the gas chamber right now.

wonder who that appeals to?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

having seen the way people are pouring over the most recent DNC leaks grasping at straw after straw, mischaracterizing, misinterpeting and misrepresenting — I can see the point Trump's sons are (hypocritically) making. On the other hand, besides suggesting that the whole "IRS audit" business has never been anything but a lie, these comments also suggest that Trump may in fact have some things to hide.

Anyone can read emails. Not all are tax attorneys but would suddenly become one.

As long as Trump can continue to successfully avoid transparency, not even his most committed supporters can honestly say that his closet is any less populated with skeletons than Clinton's

Speculation....and finally....

What is going to be found that cannot already be found in his Personal Financial Disclosures? Is it really just about seeing the tax rate he paid? or charitable contributions?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

having seen the way people are pouring over the most recent DNC leaks grasping at straw after straw, mischaracterizing, misinterpeting and misrepresenting — I can see the point Trump's sons are (hypocritically) making. On the other hand, besides suggesting that the whole "IRS audit" business has never been anything but a lie, these comments also suggest that Trump may in fact have some things to hide.

Anyone can read emails. Not all are tax attorneys but would suddenly become one.

As long as Trump can continue to successfully avoid transparency, not even his most committed supporters can honestly say that his closet is any less populated with skeletons than Clinton's

Speculation....and finally....

What is going to be found that cannot already be found in his Personal Financial Disclosures? Is it really just about seeing the tax rate he paid? or charitable contributions?

There is no positive outcome for Trump to release his returns.

His income will either be too high or too low. if it is high, he is greedy. if it is low, he is a liar.

His charitable contributions will be too low or if he did give a lot of money away, then it was to the wrong cause.

If he claims any legal deductions or tax avoidance strategies then he is a tax cheat. If his percent claimed is too low, then he is a tax cheat. If his percent claimed is too high they will question his business acumen.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Anyone can read emails.

No #, Sherlock.

Not all are tax attorneys but would suddenly become one.

Is that like all the arm chair lawyers and constitutional experts that have bombarded the web and particularly this site for years telling us the "facts" about Obama & Hillary.

Speculation....

Not really though, just ignored by Trump's sycophantic Cult.

...and finally....

All of the above, as has been protocol tradition for 4 decades...

Not to mention his true worth...

Which is considerably less than his constant lies of ten billion, or eleven, or 8, or whatever his latest lie is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join