It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please give us other international members a break from US politics.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
I was on the radio with him in 1984. A caller but he actually called me back to continue the conversation after I'd hung up. It was a conversation about labor unions. I was talking to him for about five minutes altogether.

I was at the event where the Gary Puppet was stolen.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Politics are important and I don't see any reason to stop people debating the topic on here if they want to. This election is important to not just the US but the whole world.

However point taken as well OP. You click on the Home page and it's full of 'politics'. You'd honestly think this was a political forum only until you scroll down.

Maybe the home page could be better designed so there are less political threads clogging it up and a more "Classic ATS" threads are promoted?

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Agreed, I've stopped visiting ATS altogether because it's all just Trump this and Hillary that. I miss the days when we spoke about conspiracies and other topics besides which idiot candidate is better than the other idiot candidate (Spoiler alert: they're both useless idiots who will lie to you and fail to deliver on their promises. It's a recurring trend).

I thought a place like ATS would transcend the bullsht political dichotomy, but now the whole community seems to encourage and obsess over it. It's a shame. I used to love this place.
edit on 16/9/2016 by TheAnarchist because: ~

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Believe it or not there was a time when politics were shunned to a certain degree on this site. You had some anti bush stuff but eventually it took over and that was why the separate forums came into being. Now it permeates everything.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

All they have to do is post something along those lines! Asking people to stop talking politics in a political forum which this site contains, seems childish to me. I simply stopped coming to ATS as much as I used to because of all the sniping and nasty personal attacks that really never changed.

I would have greatly truly appreciated some true moderating, but I got fed up so, rather than just bitching about it, I stopped coming to ATS on a regular basis. I don't click threads that don't interest me. I suggest you all do the same.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
In the last 4 hours on "recent" posts there have been 69 posts that have nothing to do with US politics. I think this whole thread is just whining. There's plenty to read about other than politics on ATS. You don't have to find your forum on ufo's. Just click "recent" posts and pick a non-political topic.

I will add that there were 27 posts dealing with the election issues of Trump and Clinton.
edit on 16-9-2016 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I too am tired of all the election nonsense and partisan politics. Lately its gotten so bad I barely ever check ATS anymore. It's turned into the same mainstream vitrol nonsense it originally set out to be an alternative to. I miss the old ATS discussing ufo theories, ancient civilizations, alternative world history, secret government projects, recent technology breakthroughs and more.

Sadly this forum has gone down the crapper and is in a worse state than it's been in the decade i have lurked it. Sad times, the old ats would see through this election and realize it doesnt matter if its trump or hillary they are both the establishments illusion of choice. Alas this forum is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

I have stopped posting for quite a while now under another name and am even getting quite tired of lurking as the same subjects seem to be coming up all the time... and this is becoming quite tedious...

I thought we weren't allowed to have multiple accounts on here?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

If you want a break, TAKE one. Stay out of the political forums. Confine yourself to the conspiracy, UFO, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order and terrorism forums... Is that so difficult?

It would be great if there was a way to just disable any posts about US politics from showing up on the main page.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I'm American and I can't stand it

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
And therein lies one of the problems today.

Rather than NOT reading the posts/threads you don't like, you chose to ask others not to post what YOU don't want to see.

Do you not see the absolute foolishness of that?

We are discussing the future of our country. If you're not from America, it doesn't directly concern you anyway. Yet, some foreigners ARE interested in it because the next US President will be a world influence. Like it or not, that's the truth.

This is as silly as the US television censorship laws, if you don't like what you see on a channel, change it. If you don't like political posts, don't read them.

It's not our responsibility to filter the forums for YOU.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I actually posted a thread appreciating ATS for there election coverage, which is member driven.
What you might not know is that other sites this election round are blocking, banning members, removing posts, removing or locking threads, I actually have never seen such heavy censorship in American elections from forums as what is taking place right now. The MODS at ATS are letting opinion flow organically and naturally, that isn't happening at other websites and their forums right now.

You might want a break, but what ATS is allowing is only going to attract more of these types of posters.
What you also don't realize is that once Trump wins, this place is going to get even more interesting, because big important things are going to happens, like as in biblical. Trump isn't some Antichrist but he might be like a Nebuchadnezzar from bible times, this was a world leader that was a crazy proud builder God used.

This has only just begun.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
man ... i still see the images of Hillary spitting something unspeakable into a glass. i did not want to see that really but i couldn't help myself clicking... i need help !

it is fascinating to read all the stuff going on with this election - the opinions and thoughts of real people instead of just news.
and this election is probably the most surreal thing ever... who would want to miss all the slimy details ?
sometimes i just sit with my mouth agape and stare at the screen.

thanks to ats i know that Trump got the blueprints for teslas time-machine from his nuclear uncle John George which he used to build the machine and saw the future where everybody was wearing a Burka - and he know came back to chew bubble-gum. and Hillary is a reptile that lays eggs through it´s mouth (?)

what´s not to like ?

edit on 17-9-2016 by glowdog because: lil error very small and tiny. itzy bitzy minuscle flaw!

edit- ok maybe i wouldnt find it so funny if it was happen in the country i live in. apologize but ... it is really surreal isnt it ??

this is a youtube video of the recently elected president of portugal at the beach- relaxed without any security talking to some kids taking selfies with them: president Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa at the beach
edit on 17-9-2016 by glowdog because: added video

edit on 17-9-2016 by glowdog because: removed smily faces

edit on 17-9-2016 by glowdog because: added some info about video

which could probably considered surreal too ! the portuguese president lives five minutes from the beach and refused to live in the Belem Palace where every other president lived. surreal but cool.
edit on 17-9-2016 by glowdog because: sick of editing
sorry!!!

edit on 17-9-2016 by glowdog because: gnharg

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Being a citizen of America, it's utterly embarrassing that not only are these 2 of the 4 candidates we have to choose from, but the vast majority are baited into this petty back and forth EVERY SINGLE DAY over which candidate is worse.

You're absolutely correct, the argument should be who can do more, not who can do worse. But it's not. People are regurgitating what they hear in foxnews or CNBC so much so that we are the furthest thing from a free thinking society. America, and even now some of the last remaining sectors that I used to look to for free and independent thought are completely consumed by something that we should all know is a corrupt media and government. It's one of the most pathetic things I've seen.

You know, I've actually had to remove myself from social media because I was getting so consumed with it. I would get into arguments with people over trump and Clinton and how it didn't matter which one would win. Arguments with friends and family. It got to the point where I was so unhappy with myself for having to argue the same garbage all the time that I finally had to throw in the towel and let it go. I have my vote and I know where it's going.

The only reason I am replying here is because I just wanted to say, that I'm sorry you have to filter through all our dramatic BS. I hope you know that there are a few people here who are here looking under stray rocks for a good conspiracy theory outside of the US political arena.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

another american here suffering from election fatigue!! I hear you...I like the idea of having a topic blocking choice,just something to click then click it back when you want it back.....at least we are in the home stretch of the election.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I hear you. It drives me nuts too (although sometimes I comment on it)

ATS transcends from a discussion board about unusual subjects to a predominately majority american political attack board, by osmosis over the eight months or so before an election, due to the fact that our friends in the USA have to decide on which of two evils to vote for (while conveniently forgetting there are other options that they choose to dismiss as a "vote for the other side", nor realising that if enough of them vote for the other option, they have a chance at real change)

But take heart - I have been present and seen this madness over three presidential elections, and it will soon be followed by a period of intense denial by the losing side, then a period of accusations, and then there will be a six to eight month period (towards the end of 2017, probably) when people are in the limbo of realising that who/what they voted for is a lame duck/corporate shill and - during that time, usually, things get back to day to day stuff, until the run up to the next election.

In the meantime, click on the "conspiracy", "mysteries", "sci tech" and "off topic" icons and 99% of the excruciating agony you are currently experiencing will disappear from view.

Alternatively, Autumn is a great time to spend out exploring the world as the season changes, or you could take up a hobby such as knitting (try knitting some earmuffs as a defence against the whining of the losing side) and take heart that the good TV schedules are returning - or have a look at Netflix and watch a box set or two - Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Stranger Things, The Magicians are all highly recommended.

Finally, don't forget to breath, and take such things with a pinch of salt. Everything in life is cyclical. The good times will return, and we can all hope for something like an alien signal, the return of Jesus or a genuine sighting of Bigfoot or some other cryptid in the meantime.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

It seems to me this issue could be solved by moderators, when appropriate, if the US political posts are appearing in threads not related to US politics ... and are off topic. Mods tend to delete off-topic posts.

If the mods don't delete the posts, and they are on-topic, there should be no problem with some weird tangential mention of a poster about US politics, as it relates to whatever thread.

For comparison....

People who like football can come up with football analogies, and post those on any threads, as long as they are on topic.

Some people just cannot shut up about their interests, and right now a lot of folks cannot shut up about US politics. They are relating everything to US politics. Yeah, it is annoying, but it is life.

In real life, I walk away from those conversations, but there are political junkies that seem to get some kind of 'high' by going over and over the upcoming US election endlessly.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I used to love coming to ATS and read the conspiracies but all I see now is polotics .. it's f'ing boring ..tired of all the bulls*t.

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
ANOTHER "this is the most important election in American history.

We have a super wealthy narcissistic New Yorker American hating candidate who is presumed to win... and that's before we talk about Trump!

With all due respect to the OP, the premise of this post IS pertinent to the American polity. The fact that the OP could just look the other direction, and practice "dangerous freedom", and instead, actually feels like they are suffering because of the thoughts and speech of others... exemplifies everything that is wrong with the modern political left.

Even though this site IS private property (their house, their rules), and as shocking as it may be to non-Americans... Americans are still accustomed to having a right to exercise "dangerous freedom".

Hate speech is a nasty bit of work... but laws against it can be considered the first "thought crime" legislation... in France, going all the way back to the latter 1800's, and the rest of the EU in the late 20th century.

Sadly... America has increasingly passed similar legislation.

If I was out in public, and saw a person of color made the victim of persecution, it is possible I might jump in to try to help them. If that persecution was verbal from some low life piece of s**t, I would also be inclined to affirm that POS's right to be a f***ing piece of s**t. I don't have to like it... but I do have to acknowledge they have a right to act the fool.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it AT ALL" - Dr. Noam Chomsky M.I.T.

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Dear "certain" US members...

I have been a little reluctant to post here for fear of one of my threads or posts being twisted around or being "polluted" by the US elections.

I have stopped posting for quite a while now under another name and am even getting quite tired of lurking as the same subjects seem to be coming up all the time... and this is becoming quite tedious...

US ELECTIONS and which canditate is sicker than the other... It is a sad state of affairs when it comes to which candidate is dying of whatever disease you care to make up or what this or that candidate did in the past etc... when you could be debating what each candidate has to offer to make your country and world politics better...?

I have noticed that "nearly"... NOT all or every thread(s) that have been written here have had a member or certain members (usually the same people or their alts (see their posting style)) posting something (no matter how large the post... even if it is only a candidate name) about a US electoral candidate and their supposed weaknesses and trivial information and to be quite honest it is an upmost lack of respect to the original poster and his/hers work and research.

Please... I ask POLITELY... give us international members a break...

Above Top Secret is not just ONLY about the US elections... there are political sites for people to whinge and whine and attack each others political choices...

PLEASE stop spamming up the pages of ATS for us international members that wanted to enjoy ATS for this :

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics on current events, politics, and government wrong-doing with poignant commentary from a diverse mix of users from all over the world.

More here : www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you want to talk front page MSM sheeple news then Reddit is the place to go for all bots or shills.

Give us a break please and bring us back to what ATS used to be all about...

Please?

Thank you

Warmest respects

Lags

Ps. I expect to be flamed... go ahead, I really don't care anymore after reading so much of the same banter over and over again.

edit on 17-9-2016 by dasman888 because: Zombie wallabys

edit on 17-9-2016 by dasman888 because: Zombie pet hamster

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I totally agree with you, we should all take a break from this. I have friends and family members who have almost become obsessed with all the goings on, and frankly I am just tired of thinking about it and talking about it. I used to come on this site to read posts about UFOs and paranormal phenomena and space related news, and lately its been non stop politics talk 24/7. Some of the stuff is getting pretty vile and hateful and frankly racist, and we need to take stock of it. Its getting a little old. The election is 2 months away and then we will have an answer as to who runs the country. I for one could use a break from all the talk about it. I am sure it gets on your nerves if you are from outside the US. A well deserved S&F.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join