It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worldwide Mutual Respect thread - the Stall

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Oh my first electric shock came from the back of a dryer lets just say those motors can still hold a charge... I suppose I was about 3 years old on a large trash heap rummaging around and saw the bare metal copper I never recalled seeing such a thing before reached out to touch it and on contact it felt like 10 gallons of water running through my arm across my heart and out of my knee... quite a grounding of discharge.

Second time was when I was trying to repair an old lamp I suppose I was 8 or 9 put a new bulb in it after cleaning it up and it wouldn't turn on I didn't see any fraying so I looked down in the socket and there were a couple of watermelon seeds, I forgot to twist the switch back to off and I didn't think about unplugging it... so in went the little monkey finger and yeah.

Was extremely careful after that, then I was installing a hot water heater for an ex girlfriend's grandmother and over all basic bath renovation. Well, her son was in town, when I turned the breaker off to do the wiring and was just screwing the last wire up and he had returned back home had no lights in the living room and blamo my hand stuck to the screwdriver it was the first time electricity grabbed me like a magnet... having to yank my hand away. It was a funny moment though.

I read 0 ohms on a volt meter when holding one probe in one hand and one probe in the other... something my electrical engineering instructor had never seen in over 30 years of teaching, he tried me on two other machines thinking it was a calibration error same result.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Zero ohm?!

That's impossible... Strange.

However it'd enable you to do some neat tricks using your body as conductor.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I believe that there is a better way of creating electricity. Burning gas and coal to heat fluids to heat water to turn turbines is a stupid way to do this.

Yeah, I 100% agree.

I used to place alot of hope in the thermopile option. I've came to conclude that the most efficient way to get electricity would be to directly convert heat into electricity - my first initial thought was to use mirrors and focus the heat of the Sun unto a copper oxide thermopile.

However I've been told that thermopiles aren't actually very efficient at converting heat into electricity. There's also the issue of cooling - thermopiles create voltage because of the difference in temperature between the two ends of the copper wire. Once you heat one end, however, the whole wire will start to heat up and its temperature will get homogeneous. An alternative was to place one side of the thermopile in water, but this would be an issue in dry areas.

Thorium is indeed becoming quite an attractive option. However, thorium is bound to be a very expensive metal, which means that corporate monopole could become a very possible issue.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You will love metamaterials then! They are being made to specifically take heat and convert to electricity. The idea being that blankets of the material can be placed around any source of waste heat: generators, flue stacks, nuclear reactor steam stacks, laundry mats, your home furnace, etc.

During my travels on the net I will start flagging links (I keep a word document open at al times to jot down random and/or funny stuff) so I can contribute more than just words!

Here is a good example of "up cycling" that I posted over here, ATS: Scientists accidentaly solve CO2 problem. Suppression if information forthcoming.

Both up cycling and using every ounce of produced energy and trying to put it to use or convert to another useful form is what we need to start doing.

Shameless plug for my energy storage thread: Has The Great Flow Battery Battle Started?.

I think this thread is a great idea! And I will be back with some helpful metamaterial links.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Here is a thread I put out there than, in its own small way (the concept of it at least) might make a difference in individual's lives, and if people did this sort of thing on a regular basis, I think happiness would increase and stress would decrease.

It's not a "scientific" experiment, but something to "play" with...

I hope some of you will check it out if you haven't already...

Experiement - Send Out Some Light To The World! Shift The Energy

I look forward to catching up on this thread, swanne! Such great ideas and information... Love it!!

- AB
edit on 19-10-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Many leaders have promised us that one day they would make the people of the world stand together on world issues. However since leaders have a taste for war, this promise has been empty. So why not show that it's possible, by doing it ourselves?

Looks to me, our minds crossed paths today.

Being less optimistic then you, in my thread, I was thinking the only way that people are likely to come together is by force and necessity. One of my favorite movies is "Enemy Mine". It shows what people are capable of when the only way to survive is by working together.

I believe that communication is the critical foundation for building a mutually cohesive world. I think if we have a global society, we will need a global language. A language that every child is taught from birth, allowing them to be able to communicate with every other person on this planet.

This is not a difficult thing to do, and it would not rob the child of its culture, because they could, if the parents so desired, learn the language of their culture from their parents as well. A child could learn as many languages as they wished, but their first language would be the global language.

I don't see how this would harm any country or culture, and I think it would go a long way to bridging the gaps between countries and cultures, but I know that few would agree.
edit on 19-10-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Hehe, I like your thread!

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

That's a paramount idea, in fact I can personally second its relevance.

I was born in Quebec. It's a province that speaks french, and so do I. Quebec has a very distinct culture. However I wanted to know more about ideas from all around the world, and I myself had ideas to share with the rest of the World. So I quickly learned english.

Recent studies have shown that speaking two languages may even have some benefits:

Bilingualism may help to prevent three forms of dementia

So, I second your opinion on the matter!

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

"It's just an evolution," not an agro-industrial revolution, he says, a natural progression from fields to greenhouses, then from greenhouses to vertical farms.

With his system, a 50 square-metre space (540 square feet) can be transformed into 500 square metres of usable "land". And the plants grow two to three times faster than outdoors, further increasing yields.

In the Urban Crops laboratory, up to 220 mature lettuce plants are produced each day in a 30-square-metre room using just five percent of the water required in traditional agriculture.

From Phys.org - As arable land disappears, here come the vertical farmers.

The vertical farm is all hydroponic and it still uses less water than traditional farming. Since it is indoors as well, pest control should be lower (the guy in the article uses no pesticides at all). Look at the yield! That is pretty impressive for a 30 square meter room (about 100 feet for those metrically impaired). Plus it looks cool in the purple LED lights! That article says that the plants mature faster than out in the open.

Now if the US could take industrial hemp off the Schedule 1 list then there would really be some new green industry!

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I've looked a bit into thermophotovoltaic cells. Looks pretty neat, the figure of 83% percent of efficiency (albeit for an ideal system) beats even the most efficient solar cells (which recently topped 44%).

The theory behind it is very similar to photovoltaic cells? I am still trying to wrap my head around it... Looks like thermophotovoltaic cells actually are photovoltaic cells, but with tungsten or SiC absorbing the heat and converting it to a PV-friendly frequency?

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

The thermal material, comprising of nanoscale layers of hafnium oxide and tungsten, was used to suppress the emission of one part of the spectrum while improving emission in another.
They have been used mainly to manipulate coherent light, as in a laser, but the ability to manipulate infrared thermal radiation at 1,000 C opens up new areas of research,"

AZOmaterials.com Thermal Metamaterial Promotes use of Waste-Heat Harvesting Technology in Factories, Power Plants.

They convert the waste heat to the spectrum that the thermophotovoltaic is most efficient at converting! Like giving somebody a bigger spoon so they can eat soup more efficiently! (lol) Shifting heat to a narrow band is a pretty cool trick and is yet another example of up cycling.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

So I got it right? A "filter" absorbs the heat, generates a photovoltaic cell-friendly frequency, and a photovoltaic cell captures the frequency?

I wonder what's the efficiency of TPV in practice...

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Not sure either but found the Purdue University article explaining the metamaterial a bit more.

Electrons in the semiconductor occupy a region of energy called the valence band while the material is in the dark. But shining light on the material causes the electrons to absorb energy, elevating them into a region of higher energy called the conduction band. As the electrons move to the conduction band, they leave behind "holes" in the valance band. The region between both bands, where no electrons exist, is called the band gap.

"If you have energy below the band gap, that is generally wasted," Jacob said. "So what you want to do for high-efficiency thermal energy conversion is suppress the thermal emission below the band gap and enhance it above the band gap, and this is what we have done. We have used the topological transition in a way that was not done before for thermal enhancement and suppression, enhancing the high-energy part of the emission spectrum and suppressing the low-energy thermal photons. This allows us to emit light only within the energy spectrum above the band gap."

Purdue.edu, news - 'Thermal metamaterial' innovation could help bring waste-heat harvesting technology to power plants, factories.

I think I saw the arXiv.org paper and made a mental note. So they manipulate the emitted waste heat to excite the band gap of the TPV. I bet they can "tune" those as well so they will both be optimized.

Found this over at physicsworld.com, New generator creates electricity directly from heat, from a few years back. They say about 10% efficiency with what they created back then with a theoretical limit of 40%. The way material sciences have been advancing that number should be higher today. I think this one is wide-band energy conversion using heat difference but the TPV method using an optimized tuned frequency sounds like a better method.

Seems that scientists have been thinking along the same lines as The Stall for a while now!

edit on 20-10-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I've just read about the CO2 getting captured and made into ethanol.

Wow. Now that may be a game changer.

Cars can run on ethanol!

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I don't really buy into extremes as it leads to imbalances of all sorts... so impossibility is a possibility waiting to happen making such things moot and only a matter of time and objective observation on the subject.

The only "trick" I've noticed is when I touch a Tesla coil in one of those glass orbed plasma ball things, is all of the energy in it goes together into one large solid beam and turns bright white and it starts making a static buzzing sound and will stop working if I don't stop holding my finger on it. I haven't seen that occur in anyone else I've ever seen touch one but that doesn't mean it doesn't occur in others.

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

This is what I like about the new science that has been occurring instead of climbing up conceptual ladders they've been breaking them apart for newer and better technology.

Of course naturalists and other conservative sorts want to apply the brakes in moving forward... something fear has done for so many generations our faces still mirror that of other hominid species in surprise.

I'm a fan of evolution or basically adaptation to adversity that also includes thought as an adversity or adversary people have a hard time getting over when it's like humanity has been standing and yelling across a canyon their entire lives, echoing each others concepts... not much creativity in that so just walk away and nevermind all the skeletons filling it up at the bottom.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Here is a web site that has repurposed ideas that is kind of fun.

Upcycle that.

It is not quiet at the manufacturing level but there are some great ideas for re-purposing pallets! Gives me ideas on how to survive post apocalypse and what to look for.

Who would have thought that chop sticks could be made into wall hangings?? I like the Boeing engine chair under "Inspirations"!

Like I said, kind of neat little site.
edit on 21-10-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

But the production of cement, which when mixed with water forms the binding agent in concrete, is also one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions. In fact, about 5 percent of the planet’s greenhouse gas emissions comes from concrete [production].

An even larger source of carbon dioxide emissions is flue gas emitted from smokestacks at power plants around the world. Carbon emissions from those plants are the largest source of harmful global greenhouse gas in the world.

A team of interdisciplinary researchers at UCLA has been working on a unique solution that may help eliminate these sources of greenhouse gases. Their plan would be to create a closed-loop process: capturing carbon from power plant smokestacks and using it to create a new building material — CO2NCRETE — that would be fabricated using 3D printers. That’s “upcycling.”

UCLA newsroom, March 2016 - UCLA researchers turn carbon dioxide into sustainable concrete.

That is wonderful idea and a 2-fer. One, capture CO2 from the power plant; two, create concrete from that captured CO2. Actually, a 3-fer because you will not need to make as much concrete in the first place! I did not know that India is about to over take the US in CO2 production. First, of course, is China. The issue they have is scaling it up to industrial levels.

This is part of the Carbon X-prize candidates. Saw that the carbon nanotube guys also are an entry. You can read more about this at Endgadget: Carbon Xprize chooses the 27 best solutions for CO2 emissions.

I think the fact they are all up cycling at the site of production before any CO2 gets into the atmosphere is best aspect of these ideas. Just showing that it can be done should convince industry this is a good thing for PR alone. But saving the planet at the same time while making money? Kind of a no brainer there.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I recycled some pallets into a couple of classroom bookshelf/laptop charging stations/personal cubbies for an ex's students. Let me just say they are huge pain in the ass to tear down. So even with the proper tools expect a lot of teardown time like 4 to 1 vs. the actual building the slats are easy to break and most are already split from the nail so great care needs to be applied and of course a good selection of palettes is recommended instead of just loading them up... though winter is coming and bonfires/fireplaces/kilns/and forges can sort any mishaps left over as a good kindling.

I enjoy metal working and may see about some volunteer work at a local forge I volunteered for in my teens, until I manage to get one going for myself to make something useful and artistic out of all the cans and bottles that need to be separated out anyway.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Biochar is charcoal used as a soil amendment.
The burning and natural decomposition of biomass and in particular agricultural waste adds large amounts of CO
2 to the atmosphere. Biochar that is stable, fixed, and 'recalcitrant' carbon can store large amounts of greenhouse gases in the ground for centuries, potentially reducing or stalling the growth in atmospheric greenhouse gas levels; at the same time its presence in the earth can improve water quality, increase soil fertility, raise agricultural productivity, and reduce pressure on old-growth forests.[

Wikipedia - Biochar

I had never heard of it before but I guess I had. But never as a technology to re-store CO2. More like a farming technique.

So there you go.
1 - Cap off our flue stacks and recapture CO2 before placing in the air
2 - Turn CO2 into something useful: CNTs, fiber materials, biochar
3 - Store it as stone back under ground or turn it into cement

Makes me less depressed about the state of Mother Earth. We just need to act. Like last year.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join