It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worldwide Mutual Respect thread - the Stall

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva
a reply to: swanne
Me too, I'm still trying to read up on the topic which might sound like a modern philosophy but could actually be a very, very old concept.

Which is another plus. If it survived Time, then perhaps it is a proof of its efficiency.

Do you think that the farm tower concept will work if adopted exclusively to cultivating marijuana?

Undoubtedly. However when I see starvation, which is even present in a big shot city I often visit, I note that food is most probably a priority resource.

In that spirit, I searched around to try and find the plants which are the richest in nutriments. I found quite a few promising candidates:

kale

Of all the super healthy leafy greens, kale is the king.

It is loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and various bioactive compounds.

A 100 gram portion of kale contains (9):

200% of the RDA for Vitamin C.
300% of the RDA for Vitamin A (from beta-carotene).
1000% of the RDA for Vitamin K1.
Large amounts of Vitamin B6, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Copper and Manganese.

potato

A single large potato contains lots of Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Copper and Manganese… with plenty of vitamin C and most of the B vitamins (27).

Potatoes really are one of the world’s most perfect foods.

They contain a little bit of almost every nutrient we need and there have been accounts of people living on nothing but potatoes for a long time.

They are also one of the most fulfilling foods in existence. When researchers compared the “satiety value” of different foods, boiled potatoes scored higher than any other food they measured

Source: authoritynutrition.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
You got me, I was just thinking of it's (ahem) medicinal value but you're right, food should be the priority. Maybe the basement will suffice?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Excellent thread and thank you for linking me to it.

I'm from England, UK.

Some great ideas so far and poignant facts that the world is only slowly facing up to. One of them is the shear amount of garbage that is floating in the Pacific, I've seen a few ideas on how we can combat this.

One was an underwater skyscraper that would act like a giant sieve and compress plastics so that they can be recycled.
Underwater Skyscraper

Another is an underwater drone that would swim the oceans feeding on plastics like a Basking Shark.
Plastic Eating Drone

Last but not least is this guy's idea from the Netherlands, it would be a system of nets anchored to the sea bed that only let micro plastics through and concentrates them a bit like a cell would nutrients.
Plastic Catching Nets

So it's not all doom and gloom, some good ideas are being looked at.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MaxTamesSiva

It sure would.

As a side note, aquaponics seems to be quite interesting of a system:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I do send my stuff to the recycling bin whenever I can. However I like to recycle it myself. Metal is very precious, you know; so often I actually keep my cans for the metal, aluminium foil for my capacitors, and copper wire (foud inside anything that has an electric motor) for my electromagnets and coils.

I just am not sure how much stuff I sent to the recycling bin actually gets recycled. How do I know they're aren't just dumping it all in a landfill?...

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

The underwater skyscraper is very promising. Can you imagine the view, too? That would be awesome.

They would also be earthquake-resistant. And tidal waves wouldn't make as much damage as they do on terrestrial buildings.

And resistant to hurricanes. And tornadoes.

And hail.

As for the plastic recuperation thing, the net looks like the most efficient method, finally someone found a solution to the problem!

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

I do send my stuff to the recycling bin whenever I can. However I like to recycle it myself. Metal is very precious, you know; so often I actually keep my cans for the metal, aluminium foil for my capacitors, and copper wire (foud inside anything that has an electric motor) for my electromagnets and coils.

I just am not sure how much stuff I sent to the recycling bin actually gets recycled. How do I know they're aren't just dumping it all in a landfill?...

You are doing your part. Whatever happens after that isn't your fault. Sadly, seeing how much mankind has screwed up the environment and other things, I don't hold out much hope.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I'm a bit of a nerd so it's natural for me to see the value of what most people trash with no second thoughts.

Capacitors are the ancestors of the modern battery (and they are fully rechargeable), and you can make them with common kitchen materials people usually trash.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Some guys just found a way to make more efficient solar panels, and with less lead and harmful elements:

phys.org...

In hopes of one day replacing silicon-based photovoltaic cells, which are relatively expensive and require a lot of energy to make, scientists have turned to hybrid organic-inorganic lead halide perovskites that can be developed at a lower cost using less energy than silicon.

They are reporting a 15% figure of efficiency, which is pretty awesome.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hey, I am from either... Virginia or North Carolina I have birth certificates from both. Family skeletons huh? Well, diplomatic relations requires hardship studies.

My family practiced hardship on their children so that they could find spiritual redemption in various ways... I chose many paths even though one simply wanted an ambassador and the other simply wanted family.

Well, I am a world ambassador from promotion of art in many various ways in dealing with the hardships of coping with life... on Facebook I am known as Jim Smith (Mr Black)

Looking at the world it appears as the leaning tower in economics... an extreme top that appears impossible to climb from the extreme bottom.

Of course, all around the world... there are concepts of what are top and bottom.

These lines in the dirt need to erode so that there can be balance.

What appears as the world from that tower is an extreme when looking at it from either ends... the economic separation appears as an hourglass with war and destruction in paving over the old with the new.

Of course in form and energy one can see that all of this in the very exact same plane of being down to the very smallest grain of sand where these energies keep being perpetuated either out of ignorance, or sheer greed and used to perpetuate flames of hate to keep these 3 systems going.

As this thread has shown so far as I have read; speaks of simplicity and sustainability for all sentient beings; when all life is precious.

Of course being a sentient being? It becomes very very difficult to not exist without the destruction of life.

Open source is a good thing to share to help balance out the rest of the world; there are many unseen systems that help do this that many are unaware of.

All existence in such a form is suffering to one form or another... and well the appreciation of all life can occur, and it is extremely senseless to harbor nationalism and deconstructionism in such ignorance of being.

Imagine ants in old B horror films having evolved into "greys" if you were neutral to them? Then in a larger form... you would be seen as their enemy. Perhaps in another galaxy they are already the most advanced... and watching here? What would one think of what we appear to do to other species? As slaves... crushing their early civilizations and even our own in utter madness attached to things of complete insignificance as others go to the dirt dying needlessly and senselessly of more more more.

We do have ways to stop this without all of the paving over and destroying... but those that refuse to release their position to become "it takes a village" into it takes the entire world? Universe? Multi-verse? Galaxies?

Sorry to get a bit Carl Sagan on this but it gets to be a bit more simple or complex the more one starts looking at it... turning a shoulder to one while ignoring another seems to becomes a foot in the door to any lasting peace.

Well, here's hope to all the Pandora's boxes and Schrodinger's cats in the why... the how starts in the mind and expresses in the body and is relayed by speech.

Until next time...

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Hi Darkness, that's actually a very thought provoking post.

The ironic thing is, economics was created with the purpose of avoiding unfairness. But as with many good things, economics became not only a tool of abuse, but also a topic of obsession.

As this thread has shown so far as I have read; speaks of simplicity and sustainability for all sentient beings; when all life is precious.

Ah, but it's more than simplicity & sustainability. Sustainability implies a static state of things; I think mankind should strive for efficiency in relation with his environment.

Likewise, simplicity isn't (in my opinion) not as much a goal, at least not for me. We've gone this far to reach such a relatively advanced scientific prowess and technology. I know the media is focusing alot on the destructive side of tech, but I am firmly convinced that technology can actually go hand-in-hand with a better environment and reducing social inequalities.

Of course being a sentient being? It becomes very very difficult to not exist without the destruction of life.

Difficult, perhaps. But most certainly not impossible.

People have been so seduced by rare animals and hunting and wood. But I think that it's possible to show that using new materials (such as graphene, whose strength outperforms any wood you can imagine) can be as awesome, giving a mighty kick to those who still think that a desk made of Sequoia is a mark of superiority. Going vegetarian is viewed more and more favourably, too, as more and more people realise how wasteful cattle raising is.

But my main concern nowadays is energy. There's got to be a way to get stupid electricity without burning coal or stuffing the Earth with radioactive material.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Topic of discussion: post an idea of yours which could help make the World a better place.

A tough question.

Every nation thinks they are the best. It's nationalism and it's normal.

The problem comes when the countries don't recognize their own faults.

Perhaps a better question would be, "Can individual nations recognize their own problems and change them?"

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I suppose that's why weights and measures often were a motif and a motive in trying to achieve a larger balance the more one tries to control from a seat of power; either personal spending, business expense; or national; to world goals with the UN alliances and treaties. The scales do not just balance economics in such things as when it comes to war life is also weighed on a scale of greed and hate when attached to belief that becomes division.

In secular ethics there is acceptance; life is equanimity in harboring life itself... so who is going to shelter who from the storm? Control comes in many forms as mental slavery, from control of thoughts and ideas and belief itself and instead of being intellectual property most of it as human history should be shared and open source.

Bias of these things seeks to monopolise on what gets called ignorance the old delusion that keeps global greed and hate going as well as personal greed and hate going... so planting the seeds of it from youth to adulthood keeps the entire thing in a constant tailspin where it is a crash and burn to the very ground on which we all live or upwards and outwards as a rocket beyond this world towards the next and on into the future.

A teacher once said a butcher shop he worked at as a young man told him to take the lead pencil(before graphite was used) from behind his ear and place it on the scale when weighing out; to add a profit not in the price... I am sure the weight was so much that even though it didn't seem to weigh on the shop owner's mind it still weighed on my teachers mind enough to relay the story about honesty in business practices still feeling guilty about it decades later enough to turn it into a lesson as a sort of personal repentance in this sort of hell we all live in inside and outside of ones own mind... clearing all of that out may or may not be impossible depending on one's psychology of personal rationalizations or cognitive dissonance.

But of course, such a thing requires balance which is a state of grace itself.

Oh, BTW North Carolina is the birth state on record... there was some confusion in the finer print which was stating the places of birth of my "parents"

Edit to add; yes animal cruelty is being kicked around as a felony and it should also be in food production; I have driven past the cattle fields that can be seen by satellite imagery as well... but the mounds of dead cattle being bulldozed into pits and it was miles and miles of this that the smell still lingers in my mind over two decades later. My Aunt worked in a chicken processing plant and that isn't "bird juice" it is formaldehyde to keep them from rotting from all the bacterial bath that blanches out the feathers. The production is typically different from back then as it is to inhumane as a job; that most of it is automated where entire flocks of chickens are routed in and out by sizing and then vacuumed up in a "combine like machine" no different than those found in fields.

As industry has grown into monopoles the family farm has gone to the wayside as now living comes with a much higher cost and less sustainability...

Technology is our greatest asset yet it is also our biggest detriment; so who is holding who back in moving forward? Personal choice whenever one votes with their wallet; are they weighing it out by need or want? Living in excess enslaves quite a few but then of course economies and governments then become geared around such things where top and bottom cease to be simple castes and clans families and bloodlines... balancing all of that is all of our responsibility in this world; and of course personal responsibility is in how we display it as an individual.

edit on 14-10-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

pasar el papel higiénico

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Hi neighbor!

I do not speak for my state. I often actually speak against it. I am from Alaska. Although I personally benefit from oil I personally think it is a big effing waste of energy.

I believe that there is a better way of creating electricity. Burning gas and coal to heat fluids to heat water to turn turbines is a stupid way to do this. With the future at stake with fission waste piling up, the fact that there is only a percentage of both fuel and energy created by this method actually being used we as a species need to stop.

I propose that all current nuclear power plants be slowly converted over to these: Liquid fluoride thorium reactor (wikipedia).

The fear of melting down goes away (no more China Syndrome) then we can start the process of utilizing more of the already mined and refined and partially used uranium. Then start work on using up the weapons grade stuff. Yeah, there is still radioactive waste created using thorium reactors but NOT doing this is worse.

The dream of course is nuclear fusion. But instead of sitting around waiting for the future we should work on the now.

Energyfromthorium.com : LFTR Overview.

Thor Energy: Second Round of Testing Underway.

We should also pre-cycle (there is probably a term for this). By that I mean, if are using energy up manufacturing a product the what is now considered waste needs to be put to use manufacturing something useful. MIT Technology review had an article up where they capped a natural gas electric plant's flue stack, diverted some electricity to the capped stack, used a catalyst, applied electricity, created carbon nanotube and oxygen. That is what I am talking about.

Hydroponic growing of crops and vertical farming are fantastic ideas! They should be embraced immediately.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I had a capacitor explode directly in my eye on a tattoo machine once sounded like a .22 caliber long shot... any tattoo artist reading this or machine builders? Electric gives better depth control than the old door bell spring sort as a contact think points on motorcycle ignitions the same sort of thing... never expected it to explode so old Murphy's law decided to make it happen, burned my eye but no discernable permanent damage.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ooooh cognitive dissonance of an entire country? Sounds a lot like patriotism/nationalism... and of course propaganda sees to it that is stays on course with any agenda. Sharing those agendas is what peace and UN accords are meant to do in co-operation... so we don't revert back to animal states possessing human form even though we still display animal traits being animals of course. So many programs so little time to decompose I suppose

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I've been excited about this thing lately

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Reminds me of an old story I heard or read it's been a few decades now; of a Western student in a Zen monastery not used to the routines... as the meal was about to be consumed he was the only one using "chop sticks" he had found in the bathroom(used as toilet paper) he gained the nickname sh-t stick if recalling correctly and well when using them as chop sticks everyone else's sh-t stick too.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

When I was a little kid I tried to "recharge" a button battery by placing it on the contacts of a lightbulb socket.

Stupidest thing I've done in my life.

The battery went with a bang, and I had a small shock. When I looked for the battery, I discovered it had volatilised.

You could say I've learned voltage and amperage the hard way...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join