It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Personalities And Social Media: The Many Faces of Me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

“Online, everyone is presenting the most positive, or most specific presentation of themselves,” Brown continues. Think about your own Facebook page for a moment. “Everything’s strategic.” Are your online acquaintances privy to the real you or simply the sliver you’d like them to see?

And are online buddies in well-curated channels really friends at all? As Brown admits, “I’m building huge networks online. But as that number increases, the network of friends that I can call in the middle of the night is getting smaller.” She predicts the second pitfall of multiple online personalities will be the lasting social ramifications—peoples’ ability to connect with each other both on- and offline. “When on a day to day basis you’re fragmenting your personality into subsets of networks and assigning different aspects of yourself to different audience groups, it makes it extremely difficult to be a complete person offline.”
Multiple Personalities And Social Media: The Many Faces of Me

As the article above describes, everyone who uses social media is using a persona. Let's look at the different definitions of persona.

persona

: a character assumed by an author in a written work
a plural personas
[New Latin, from Latin]
: an individual's social facade or front that especially in the analytic psychology of C. G. Jung reflects the role in life the individual is playing — compare anima
b : the personality that a person (as an actor or politician) projects in public : image
plural personae : a character in a fictional presentation (as a novel or play) —usually used in plural
Link

I don't care how "real" you think you are when you use social media, there is no way your corresponding behavior doesn't fit into one of the above definitions. The reason is simply because no one can present their entire personality within the context of social media.

There are huge problems with people constantly using personas. I think the biggest question is whether social media could be causing people to have multiple personality disorder. I read someone recently who wrote (paraphrased), "My online persona is taking over my life. I started acting like my online persona in real life recently, and I had trouble controlling it." I think things like that should make us all take notice.
edit on 14-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
No question about it. People strive to be accepted. When you widen your scope, so must you widen your ideals.

Anonymity of sorts is dying. Most people aren't comfortable enough to display themselves unfiltered.

It's scary what the masses may mold themselves into.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Social media, the best way to get to know yourself and your many personalities who are all friends with each other on facebook, and don't even know the others exist.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
well then, good thing this forum is my only online social media. I pretty much write as I talk, and my opinions here are not at all removed from my opinions in person.

What can be expected though when people join the hive, right?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Anonymity is key. I have several. At one time or another you will have noticed.

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players, they have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages. William Shakespeare

edit on 14-9-2016 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I don't have any problems with My online pers.....ooooh Look!!! Something Shiny!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Several what, specifically ?

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Personalities or as represented...Avitars

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I mean, what I post on social media, I'd say in person to anyone with out any regrets. I don't post bad stuff, sometimes stuff that might trigger people, but it's nothing I wouldn't argue or say to their face. Does this fit the definition? Lol

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Our personalities are all relatively malleable dependent on the social situation we're in. When we are in a new situation people can unwittingly allocate themselves into roles (comedian, skeptic, ultra-positive flowery type). I don't think that is the same as having a completely different personality for different occasions though.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
You obviously focus on persona on social media. However I would say people use persona in real life just as much. They act and display themselves just as different between friends, family, work and public spaces. It is not inherent to social media, only easier to observe as it is finely bordered in the media they use.
edit on 15-9-2016 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Social media schizos have nothing on the weird and wonderful that inhabit online dating sites! The people i have met defy belief and description (which never fit their online descriptions!) Avoid those places like the plague now ...I'll be content to remain single.

People have as many faces on online media as they do in real life really. We are all different people in work, at home, as a father/mother, out with the lads/lasses, we have so many faces depending on the situations we are in...adaptable we are

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

People have as many faces on online media as they do in real life really. We are all different people in work, at home, as a father/mother, out with the lads/lasses, we have so many faces depending on the situations we are in...

But Facebook "My life is so perfect, look at my duckface OMG!!" Still is the most annoying of them all.
edit on 15/9/2016 by Raven_Heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
double post
edit on 15/9/2016 by Raven_Heart because: (no reason given)

join