It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Statue at South Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Was exploring around the notorious Edwards AFB south base today on an app I use call US Topo Maps. If you don't have it, and like to explore maps whilst you're bored on your mobile, I highly recommend it. It allows you to compare different satellite imagery databases alongside of one another using an opacity filter, as well as Aeronautical & Nautical charts.
Anyways, I was exploring using the Google aerial filter, with Bing satellite at a lower opacity.
I was exploring the area around the B-2 shaped walkway, when I noticed something at these coordinates:
34°54'04.25"N 117°52'38.18"W
(34°54'04.25"N 117°52'38.18"W (WGS84))

The image on the left is using the Google maps filter at 100%.
Center image is using the Bing aerial filter.
Right image is using the USGS Orthoimagery USGS EDC HRO filter.

Second image is the center two images zoomed in much closer. Top images are without filter. Bottom images are using Snapseed to enhance/subtract certain distractions (enhancing shadows, lowering saturation, etc)
At first, this looked to me like an X-45, which was tested at South base or another one of it's variant, angled around 45° to present it in midflight.
But doesn't it seem odd(and slightly offensive?) to put a statue of a Boeing project right on top of a Northrop inspired walkway, no?
Then I remembered the air forces artist rendition of the B-21....

The shadows in the satellite images seem to show a difference than that of the B-2's aft section(there are, of course, many distortion effects that could alter the satellite image)
But very similar to the air forces B-21 rendition photo and X-45 wings.
What do you guys think?

edit on 9142016 by HomeyKXTA because: Repeat

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

I have seen this in person, up close. It is a 1:8-scale model of the B-2. There are several identical models scattered around the Antelope Valley. Three that come immediately to mind are located at:

36.602512, -118.087243

34.671652, -118.112794

34.680698, -118.183917

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

Awesome! Thanks for the confirm!
I tried to search around to see if this had been discussed before, but could not.
Really appreciate the visual confirmation

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadowhawk
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

I have seen this in person, up close. It is a 1:8-scale model of the B-2. There are several identical models scattered around the Antelope Valley. Three that come immediately to mind are located at:

Shadowhawk, I assume its like the one at Blackbird Park?
From our 2010 trip. But it was there in 2015 as well.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
From 2015

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Those are 'statues' or radar targets?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

It's exactly the same. Northrop Grumman must have donated a bunch of those things to local schools and parks. It is just a scale model (not any sort of radar or wind tunnel test article). They seem to have faded a bit over the years due to exposure to the weather.

top topics

join