It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time is... what?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Ok let me try to explain what I have recently thought of, as I'm sure some of you may have as well at one point.

One of the many definitions from a dictionary (dictionary.com did not even have a definition for time, look yourself):
Time- an appointed, fixed, or customary moment or hour for something to happen, begin, or end

Ok, so, what is time? Actually the question I want to have answered is, why does time travel at the speed it does?

Why does it not go by faster or slower, for me, it's impossible to comprehend this. My feeble human brain can't dare believe that time is not as existant as we are forced to believe.

In another post, the suicide one, lilbalm brought up a point that got me thinking, "Time does not exist. Time (yes, time) is an illusion. There is no past/present/future. I know this for FACT and understand it completely including logically why and so forth."

Ofcourse this is only what one person says, and he infact tells you only to believe what you want, or that you should not believe anything.

Does "time" travel at a different speed for everybody, nobody can know, it cannot be described. Maybe time is strictly a rule of physics, but time is not physically anything.

Let us all hear your thoughts on time, and please don't be a dick and say something like " time is time, it is micro seconds, hours, months, and years", just leave if your going to be negative I'm trying to spark a smart conversation.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
time is a tool created by man to keep from forgetting his wedding anniversery. We have to mark dates of when things occurred or we get in trouble.

You have an eternal soul so in the big picture time doesn't matter....but forget those flowers on 2/14 and your in deep %#@$

My two nickels on it.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Time is change in the relative position of objects in the macro and micro thermodynamic Universe, usually expressed in terms of standard intervals. Place two walnuts on the table. Mark their positions very carefully. Move them apart. Place them in their original positions again. Video the whole performance. Now run the tape forwards and backwards. You can reverse the local time of the two macro objects. But if you look on a microscopic level, the order of the atoms has changed in a subtle but statistically enourmous way; you can't reverse that change, especially considering the uncertainty principle. So time has run 'forward'. Then step back farther, into the super-macro frame, and you will be unable to reverse the disorder imposed by cosmic movements, etc. and again, time has run forward.

To reverse time would require infinite energy- and precise control over the position and velocity of every particle in the macro and micro universe.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
...wow... I've never heard that before, thanks...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Time does not exist in the memory. Something that happened ten years ago can be recalled just as easily as something that happened yesterday"
Pisky after five pints of Cider, Cornwall 1996.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
d=t .v
v=t/d

I think "time" as we call it is currently a function of distance. Clocks and calendars are based on '60' as its readily divisible and lines up to the planetary rotation around the sun. What we call "time" is just a measurement of distance traveled. No one knows the true "meaning" of it though. This is why one could win the Nobel prize if they did "figure it out". Time is what's referred to as the "4th dimension" . There are 17 operational dimensionals in mathematics ( that I've vaguely seen, anyway). Beer kills them!

Seriously though, I find this stuff most interesting-----there are ALOT of things in the sciences that are not understood fully.........pressure and gravity are common ones that have some working theories but are not fully understood........

Join with the geeks! This stuff will drive you nuts! Lotsa fun!

top topics

join