It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many of You Knew 'Aleppo' Before Johnson's Interview?

page: 3,
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Seemed that that MSM report didn't seem to have much of a clue about the place either and were taken to task multi pal times to correct it . Following the news and especially alternative news has given me a better picture of the land scape of Syria but prior to the war I would have only recognized it as a town in Syria instead of the significant place it actually is .

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

primer

for in depth reportage an sources - use google news - filtered per year 2011 > 2016

and FFS - dont try to tie this into the " mendela " delusion

just admit : " i am SentientCentenarian and have not followed the syrian civil war as intently as others - so have only just learned the significance of aleppo "

ETA :

this is what i mean :

GOOGLE NEWS - DEC 2010 TO JAN 2012

aleppo - from travelogue to seat of anti govt protest and the seeds of conflict

edit on 14-9-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I know,quite a few of the cities because of the Joel C Rosenberg thrillers I've read. I think he's amazing writer.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

primer

for in depth reportage an sources - use google news - filtered per year 2011 > 2016

and FFS - dont try to tie this into the " mendela " delusion

just admit : " i am SentientCentenarian and have not followed the syrian civil war as intently as others - so have only just learned the significance of aleppo "

Actually, I'm fine with knowing little to nothing about it. There's only so much I can cover in a day, and far less I can do about any of it. And remarkably, I'm not running for President or even mayor, for that matter.

I'm not sure what the pundits at MSNBC expected Johnson to do/know about it - they specifically asked him 'what would you do about Aleppo' as if anyone knows how to fix it, the current administration included. What possible answer could he have without, at the very least, access to top level security briefings? Have the pundits that eat this stuff for breakfast ever come up with a plan?

The people in power are really good at making messes - not so good at planning ahead or fixing them.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

The thing is he's running to be President of the United States so I would expect he would be up with current and not so current events , You don't need to watch the news 24/7 to know what's going on in Syria.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

All I can say is...

What is A Gary Johnson ?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: stinkelbaum
being stupid and uneducated of everything outside your back garden isn't the best defence for a candidate being stupid and uneducated.
this is nearly as bad as defending trumps racist outburst because your racist.

Umm, no. What Trump says on a regular basis is far, far worse. I've seen Johnson go into detail on many subjects, and with an interesting take on things -like that if we had followed his noninterventionist policy, that whole mess wouldn't have happened in the first place. It's a valid point. Meanwhile, Trump wants to 'bomb the hell out of 'em'; very Presidential.

My comment on Trump was made because I wished he'd been asked this question first - to see what he knew about that exact topic or word. It would have been enlightening. He's the frontrunner who has been accused of having the attention span of a small child and never seems to be called on his inanities at least to his face as Johnson was with the 'you're kidding' and subsequent smears.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

No one important.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Aleppo was originally known as Haleb which became Alep, and in turn Aleppo!

just my 2 cents....

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Actually agree with you for once.

Look, I understand the libertarian stance is isolationist, so the purist libertarian would be to say that it doesn't really matter because we wouldn't care anyhow as it's none of our business.

However, what happens in a place like Aleppo with all the players involved can very easily spill out and find its way to your borders in a hurry, so even an isolationist libertarian better have a handle on the major players to get how big even the tiniest event might become.

I'm sure plenty of people never heard of Franz Ferdinand either or had any reason to care that some obscure European noble was shot in 1914 too. But look where that eventually got the world.
edit on 14-9-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It's pretty obvious he was caught off-guard by the statement made.

I would have done the same thing.

Now if they would have said Syria which is exactly what they should have said he would have known what the d-bag presenter was talking about. Referring to Aleppo rather than to Syria was an obvious tactic to throw him off.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Aleppo, being the epicenter of some of the worst events of the Syrian crisis, is a pretty well known place these days. Something a presidential candidate should already know. You don't need CIA briefs to have that info.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I did..... most everyone here is pretty up to date on their current events

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I did. I keep up with people, places, politics and issues...apparently better than Mr. Johnson. He showed a general lack of knowledge on what has been a relatively frequently mentioned place of late in the ISIS, Syrian issues and refugee crisis.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

All I can say is...

What is A Gary Johnson ?

One of your** other two choices if'n you despite Trump and Hillary equally. Or they both blow up figuratively or literally right before the election.

** Provided you're a US citizen who wants to bother to vote, given the likelihood it will make any difference at all.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I knew. But while I won't be voting for him, I wouldn't vilify anyone for not knowing. Granted, one would hope a prospective or aspiring candidate for major public office would know, but our candidates (while this is perhaps debated in places like ATS lol) are just humans too at the end of the day.

There could be any number of reasons for such a response, only one of which is total negligence or apathy IMO.

Peace.

(post by Discotech removed for political trolling and baiting)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join