It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What is memory? Where is it stored?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is just a quick post about something that is really perplexing. The ability to pull from your memory data bank. For the past day I was trying to remember a word which is used to describe a secret triple agent or 'mole'. Specifically Snowden and Assange and the word that describes their possible cointelpro. For the life of me I just could not remember yet I had the distinct feeling I could just 'spit-it-out' as the saying goes. Right on the tip of my tongue but when I said it in my mind, it was nothing but a jumble of ideas or words which intuitively did not fit. All I could manage was an image of your pants down as an explanation. Or the word exposure. I couldn't stammer together any other words if my life depended on it at gun point but I knew the word well.

Typically when this type of thing occurred in the past, I would use a technique to retrieve the word or name I had forgotten. You know when you forget something which should be easily remembered, the more you try to remember, the more elusive or difficult it is to bring it back. It's not until you leave it alone it would suddenly just pop into your mind without you even thinking about it. So I imagine bots like google's web crawling spiders; fetching the word I have commanded them to find. Then I forget about it. Usually after a few minutes my answer comes floating up like champagne bubbles but not in this case. 24 hours later I am again finding myself struggling to find the word which describes a triple agent.

I decided to pull up my sent emails and search for the few where I was discussing Snowden and the image of having your pants down and exposure came flooding back. Why was my subconscious so insistent on these two subjects? What is meaning behind them that I should focus on to obtain the terminology I forgot? Then as I began to focus and scroll down through my sent emails from months ago a word surfaced. "Limited". One of the 'bots' I had sent returned with some information directly related to my query however, it was only partial. There was still another word I needed but I stopped searching my emails and began thinking about the word limited. Limited Exposure? Nope. Close but no cigar. Limited what? I asked myself. Then the second word surfaced. Hangout.

Limited Hangout was what I was trying to remember and the entire process to retrieve it was nothing short of a game with my subconscious and my 'self.' It would use clues and imagery to help with the thought process but would never actually reveal what it is you're looking for. It's like your buddy waiting for you to get in the car but would step on the gas as you try open the door. "oh, so close, here try another". But when the word suddenly appears, it is effortless. It just shows up out of "nowhere" almost as if it is non-local. What was local was the imagery of having your pants down. Why is this significant? Because that's how the term 'limited hangout' was coined and I remembered reading it.

PRESIDENT: You think, you think we want to, want to go this route now? And the--let it hang out, so to speak? DEAN: Well, it's, it isn't really that-- HALDEMAN: It's a limited hang out. DEAN: It's a limited hang out. EHRLICHMAN: It's a modified limited hang out. PRESIDENT: Well, it's only the questions of the thing hanging out publicly or privately.

Letting it all hang out paints a rather obvious picture. My brain stored that image and used it as a tool to assist me with remembering the word "hangout" but instead provided me with an optional word of "exposed". wtf? Why not provide me with the actual word? But instead of either of those, it provided me first with "Limited" which had no image. It just appeared. I suppose the word "temporary" came to mind which may have set in motion to search my mental thesaurus but what I find interesting in all of this is that 'memory' seems to be non-local to the algorithms we employ consciously to retrieve information.

edit on 14-9-2016 by TheFlyOnTheWall because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheFlyOnTheWall

Ahhh Those elusive Phrases or words We cannot seem to find among the cobwebs in Our heads! I know exactly what You are talking about. After leaving the thought alone, forgetting what it was I wanted to say, it will always just appear in My head later on. Then it feels like, "Oh wow. Duh. That was so simple, how could I NOT remember that!?!" LOL!!

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Your acetylcholine levels are too low. Eat more eggs and/or supplement with lecithin, a choline donor. Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter that helps memory and word recall, quite specifically. I used to wonder why some people were good writers and others couldn't put together a coherent sentence to save their lives. After much research I figured out it was acetylcholine levels, possibly endogenous or genetically high in the case of 'natural born' writers. It's possible that American (especially) levels of this essential brain chemical went down when we were all encouraged to eat fewer eggs because of heart disease concerns, now realized to be unfounded. Your brain is largely cholesterol, cutting down on your intake of it may not be wise.

I've been supplementing with lecithin (1200 mg pills one in the morning or another in the evening if I'm attending a lecture or going someplace where a lot of talking will take place) for decades now. Wouldn't be without it. Don't take it in the evening too often, it's energizing and hard to sleep on.

Aside from that, I think of memory as a series of file drawers, maybe one for each year of your life. The longer you live, the more drawers you have to search through for a specific memory or even word. Sometimes they're really buried and the connections just don't seem to pop up when you need them.

I read somewhere a long time ago that every night as you sleep, the memory traces from the day, actual chemical bites of information, are disassembled and then the brain (whatever THAT is) decides what to keep and what's disposable. That new interesting person you met is a keeper, what you had for breakfast, not so much... - and the chemical traces of the disposables are recycled and the keeper memories are reassembled from scratch and moved to 'long term storage'. In the process, the memories can be changed or mixed with dreams or even based on something that didn't happen - false memories.

I have no idea if this theory of memory is true, but it's interesting to speculate.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It's not until you leave it alone it would suddenly just pop into your mind without you even thinking about it.

Proof your memory works and everything is in there... somewhere.

So be good for goodness sake.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

"It's not until you leave it alone it would suddenly just pop into your mind without you even thinking about it. Proof your memory works and everything is in there... somewhere. So be good for goodness sake."

It's not so much it 'pops in' as it was a subroutine running in the background that found it...

edit on 14-9-2016 by SentientCentenarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Your conscious mind is like a hoover. Yor memories are the carpet.

you will find some nootropics really make you think clearer. I find psychedelics do that for jme, but who wants to be feeling like you are in control, and happy, all the time. Government is right.. list to big bother.

But really, it's a sign of your ability to focus being limited. and it's so much more than one thing. a hundred years ago, a thousand years ago, we could navigate by the stars alone. Now we can barely see them...

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian

originally posted by: intrptr

"It's not until you leave it alone it would suddenly just pop into your mind without you even thinking about it. Proof your memory works and everything is in there... somewhere. So be good for goodness sake."

It's not so much it 'pops in' as it was a subroutine running in the background that found it...

"They sayers" (you've heard of them) muse that the mass of the brain is mostly unused space. I hold thats for a lifetime of storage. Like a security camera on the wall in a store , recording everything we do think or say, everyone else too.

One day these 'books' are going to be opened and there will be a reckoning. Nowhere to hide, nowhere to run to anymore. Some will be wailing and gnashing their teeth.
edit on 14-9-2016 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I guess they're stored in the universal "cloud" or Spirit, where all sensations and thoughts arise from. As for your question about why it doesn't just tell you, I don't know, sorry.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Well I had a tidy response all typed out earlier and something happened with my puter... so I had a fluttered frenzy of anger and grudgingly decided not to respond [ as if it were the threads fault
]. But after I while I decided to go ahead and try again so here it goes...

You know when you forget something which should be easily remembered, the more you try to remember, the more elusive or difficult it is to bring it back. It's not until you leave it alone it would suddenly just pop into your mind without you even thinking about it.

Do you think it could be similar to when a computer gets bogged down and sits and spins and spins as you patiently or UN-patiently in my case sit and wait expectantly.

Perhaps when you cataloged the word, there were other external factors that also had to be cataloged. Let's say that there was perhaps a higher amount of sensory data or emotions going on at the exact moment your mind started working to catalog the word. So b/c of this higher amount than normal of sensory data being cataloged at the same exact time as the word...your word got cataloged incorrectly.

& now that you are trying to remember the word, your mind gets hung up and delayed ? Your mind can't simply pull the word out quickly because it is now working to retract the incorrect cataloging of the word, but also all the other data and then re cataloging it to fix it.

leolady

edit on 14-9-2016 by leolady because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2016 by leolady because: fix

top topics

join