It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mexico building wall to slow immigration

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Mexico has apparently come to the conclusion that illegal immigration is a bad thing. The uncontrolled flow of people across the border has effected Mexico enough that they feel the need to take action.

This is Mexico's southern border by the way.
Apparently people seeking a better life is not a good reason to cross the border as has been claimed in the past.

www.ft.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
well, as far as irony goes, this is top tier.
thanks for the belly laugh bluntone

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

There is a pay to read wall preventing me from reading your article, is it about the newspaper along the border that called for it?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I can't vote in Mexico.

link   
a paid link

link   
a paid link

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Oh the irony. Has anyone actually verified this or is this another one of those click bait stories

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt

Idk if this article is different but all I can find is a prominent newspaper calling for one. The irony would be missed by me if that is the case.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Mexico has apparently come to the conclusion that illegal immigration is a bad thing. The uncontrolled flow of people across the border has effected Mexico enough that they feel the need to take action.

Apparently people seeking a better life is not a good reason to cross the border as has been claimed in the past.

www.ft.com...

I clicked on your link , but it wants me to pay for a subscription before I can read the article...so, I guess I won't be able to enjoy reading why a Southern Wall is ok....but a Northern Wall (to the Mexicans) is not.

Who's paying for the Southern Wall?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I reloaded the page and it came right up.
The link was from drudge report.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

You know how you copied that link? Copy the article.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Mexico building wall to slow immigration

If you only want to slow 'em down I would recommend a low wall. About 3 to 4 ft. high.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Mexico has never had an issue with a wall, there is one up already. All they have said is that they are not going to pay for itm

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
There's no irony to be had. Mexico never said it was wrong to build a wall. The majority of Americans have said we don't want a wall along our border with Mexico.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
He is a copy and paste...

Mexico builds its own wall against migrants

Pressure builds for measures to stem flow of refugees from the south heading for US

A family of immigrants arrives from Honduras to a shelter for undocumented immigrants in Tenosique, Mexico

TwitterFacebookLinkedInWhatsapp

Save

4 HOURS AGO 

by: James Fredrick and Jude Webber in Mexico City

Donald Trump wants a wall on America’s southern border to keep illegal immigrants out. But for people such as Rosa, whose husband, mother, sister, brother-in-law and two nephews were murdered in her native Honduras by gangs who then tried to recruit her 14-year-old son, Mexico already acts as a formidable barrier.

MENU

Financial Times

Sign In

Mexico Add to myFT

Mexico builds its own wall against migrants

Pressure builds for measures to stem flow of refugees from the south heading for US

A family of immigrants arrives from Honduras to a shelter for undocumented immigrants in Tenosique, Mexico

TwitterFacebookLinkedInWhatsapp

Save

4 HOURS AGO 

by: James Fredrick and Jude Webber in Mexico City

Donald Trump wants a wall on America’s southern border to keep illegal immigrants out. But for people such as Rosa, whose husband, mother, sister, brother-in-law and two nephews were murdered in her native Honduras by gangs who then tried to recruit her 14-year-old son, Mexico already acts as a formidable barrier.

Rosa, who asked for her full name not to be used, fled with her two teenage sons only to find herself trapped in a political controversy that the US Republican candidate has put at the heart of his campaign.

Zero net immigration of Mexicans into the US and an 82 per cent fall in people caught trying to cross the US-Mexico border in the past 10 years means that most would-be immigrants detained there are Central Americans. Even without Mr Trump’s fortress frontier, Mexico finds itself under increasing pressure to stem the migrant tide near its source — its own southern border.

Mexico has become a wall for migrants,” said Sister Magdalena Silva, co-ordinator of Cafemin, a privately run shelter in Mexico City that takes in refugee families, including Rosa’s. “The current policy is to arrest migrants to stop them from getting to the US border.”

The UN estimates 400,000 Central Americans cross illegally into Mexico each year and as many as half of those are fleeing violence. The majority are quickly deported back to dangerous homes.

Unlike in the US, Mexico has broadened asylum laws to recognise that fleeing violence of the kind practised by the street gangs of Honduras and El Salvador can classify someone as a refugee. But the odds are still stacked against asylum seekers: Mexico deported a record 175,000 Central Americans last year, up 68 per cent from the previous year and nearly two-and-a-half times the number deported by the US.

The US is coy about its role in Mexico’s crackdown but is sending $75m in equipment and training to help stop Central Americans from crossing illegally into Mexico. Hosting Mr Trump two weeks ago, President Enrique Peña Nieto said that “making Mexico’s border with our friends and neighbours in Central America more secure is of vital importance for Mexico and the US”.

Rosa left Tegucigalpa, the Honduran capital, with her two teenage sons in January 2016 after a gang tried to recruit one of them on his way home from school. “We know when a gang targets someone, they don’t leave them alone and they follow through on their threats,” she said.

edit on 14-9-2016 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
www.google.com... border%20to%20keep%20illegal%20immigrants%20out.%20But%20for%20people%20such%20as%20Rosa%2C%20whose%20husband%2C%20mother%2C%20sister%2C%20brother-in- law%20and%20two%20nephews%20were%20murdered%20in%20her%20native%20Honduras%20by%20gangs%20who%20then%20tried%20to%20recruit%20her%2014-year-old%20son% 2C%20Mexico%20already%20acts%20as%20a%20f&oq=Donald%20Trump%20wants%20a%20wall%20on%20America%E2%80%99s%20southern%20border%20to%20keep%20illegal%20im migrants%20out.%20But%20for%20people%20such%20as%20Rosa%2C%20whose%20husband%2C%20mother%2C%20sister%2C%20brother-in-law%20and%20two%20nephews%20were% 20murdered%20in%20her%20native%20Honduras%20by%20gangs%20who%20then%20tried%20to%20recruit%20her%2014-year-old%20son%2C%20Mexico%20already%20acts%20as %20a%20f&aqs=chrome..69i57.774j0j4
edit on 14-9-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

So one sentence about a wall?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Sigh,

Building walls are not the solution. Not here nor there but the irony is thick if true.

edit on 14-9-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Who's paying for the Southern Wall?

They should ask US to considering our war on drugs and corporate exploitation of Latin America is what's driving people out of their homelands.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

www.ft.com...

Mexico are slowly getting there crap together.

Fact is mexico are fine with the USA building there own wall, but USA needs to pay for it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join