It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Has anyone NOT experienced the Mandela Effect?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79
hehehe I posted this a week ago...

Going back to Berenstain, it's plausible that the pathway for ...stein is similar to ...stain. However there are more for ...stein because we experience it so much more. Your brain is basically thinking there is 100 instances of ...stein and only 1 ...stain and selects the most likely.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We're basically arguing the same point. I just want to be a bit more specific.

edit on 14-9-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Yeah, I would say that pretty much sums up the stain stein issue.

It's almost like a pareidolia, but with words.

ETA: I agree. It does seem that we're arguing the same thing lol.
edit on 1492016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

If you're so convinced that we've all "experienced the Mandela effect", then why ask??

Faulty memory is not some strange space-time anomaly, it's merely faulty memory. ...regardless of how often you say it, or others say it.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Exactly.

It's not just bad memory, it's more a silly brain trick we keep falling for.

In fact we should be able to create our own, the only problem is it would be near impossible to test it accurately.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I don't think we'd be able to create our own and test it on ourselves. We'd have the existing knowledge of it being contrived.

But if you could create one it would need to be something so simple that people wouldn't have noticed. Something like Star-Trek vs Star Trek, type of thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
If you're so convinced that we've all "experienced the Mandela effect", then why ask??

Faulty memory is not some strange space-time anomaly, it's merely faulty memory. ...regardless of how often you say it, or others say it.

I explained that in the OP. I linked to my actual theory and stated that I am trying to prove myself wrong.
If my theory (which has absolutely nothing to do with space-time anomalies) was correct then there should not be people who don't experience it.

Unfortunately it's an emotional topic and people will just assume they know what the other person is talking about and argue that.

When even a moderator does that it shows the difficulty of having the discussion required to get a proper answer with this topic.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it should matter.
I picture in my head the Domino's logo as Dominoes even after I've confirmed that I'm wrong.

That's the best I've been able to find which fits the theory.

Also, "Think you you can't be fooled" still gets autocorrected when I go back and read it even with me typing it.

Possibly creating a new celeb called Mike Burdsteen, and see how many people think it's Birdsteen after a while.

edit on 14-9-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
You didn't tell me how it explains why many people remember the same wrong thing.

Many people remember the SAME wrong things because they are influenced by external sources - ie: pop culture, adverts, films, mass media.

For example, the Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back quote of "No, I am your Father" was *never* , "Luke, I am your father".

People wrongly think the LIAYF quote was real because of mass media and pop culture who *took the original NIAYF* out of context, re-wroded it to LIAYF (as without the work Luke it had not context) to suit their narrative of an advert, a television show or film.

This is one example of why people remember things wrong. And I suspect, for many other of the silly examples people put forward under the made up ME.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Nope but I know my memories are never 100 percent right. I can except that I am human and fallable.
The believers of the Mandela effect have no knowledge of how are brains work and I feel they display narcissistic behaviour in the way they think they are different and not fallable.I wonder why they need to think they are different and special? are their lives that dull they must convince themselves they are different.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

So people made the common mistake because people heard a common mistake?
No point arguing here as the term ME clouds any chance of reasonable discussion.

I've made one last attempt at an explanation and have made up my own term(thanks to TerryDon79).
Perhaps you could check that and see what you think rather than us arguing over semantics which I think is the case here. The Mandolia Effect

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

I already answered your question with my first post.

I will edit and delete my text in the one you refer to.

As to not sidetrack your thread. My bad for posting it.

I don't think the point of it would have stuck with many anyway.

It didn't happen that way, and there's no use going back to try to fix it once the timeline has been altered.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Ok. That's pretty clever

So long as people first exhaust the rational, logical explanations first before immediately assuming why someone has an incorrect memory is due to CERN experiments, timeshifts, Reptiloids sexing up the Annubukakke aliens, Hollow earth or HAARP - then it can be called whatever you want.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Bit late on this thread, but I've had a few "I'm sure it was X" moments, I don't call it Mandella effect though, that's reserved for the "Indigo children".

One significant one is an AFL (Australian football) coach, who I swore played for the team he's currently coaching, but he never did..

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Does the Manualla effect count?

I mean she was HOT and I could have sworn she was into me. Well not in this dimension obviously.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

The point is that you do it without realizing you are doing it. You aren't going to purposely reinforce the wrong information in your head. Plus, because people with biases like to seek out other people with similar biases to reinforce their biases, you end up with people agreeing with each other.

I'm not sure why you don't think my explanation is sufficient. It's simple and it makes sense.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Exactly.

It's not just bad memory, it's more a silly brain trick we keep falling for.

In fact we should be able to create our own, the only problem is it would be near impossible to test it accurately.

There are different causes.

-- The ME theory that New Zealand moved is just bad memory and a lack of attention paid to geography. Some people never really made a conscious effort to know exactly where New Zealand was, so when a small group of other people (who probably got their geographic knowledge from the board game "Risk" and it's inaccurate map of the world) claimed that their memory of New Zealand from a few decades ago had it more directly east of Australia than it is today, other people who didn't know any better as to where it ever was simply jumped on the bandwagon.

-- In the case of mistaken movie lines such as "Luke, I am your father" or "Play it again, Sam", it is caused by someone in the mass media subverting the movie line once, and the rest of mass media jumping on the subverted line bandwagon, thus affecting everyone's memory of the movie line, or (for people who never saw the movie) creating the incorrect knowledge of the line.

-- In the case of "stein" or "stain", it is probably caused by the fact that "stein" is a common ending for a name and "stain" is not, so people automatically incorrectly assumed the last name was Berenstein when it never was.

-- The idea that Nelson Mandela died in the 1980s or 1990s instead of 2013, it's a case that many people were subjected to the same news stories about the man's frail health and unjust imprisonment in the late 1980s, and some of those people (all being human) could easily share the same mis-remembered idea that he died sometime back then.

So there is not just one mechanism that causes people to have false memories or false knowledge...And I don't think the Mandela Effect is the reason for any of them, because I don't think there is such thing as the Mandela Effect -- at least not the using the definition of the term that the term's creator, Fiona Broome, uses.

When someone calls these false memories or false knowledge "The Mandela Effect", then they are saying that the memory or knowledge is NOT false, but instead there are paranormal reasons, or altered timeline reasons, or parallel universe reasons for these "changes".

edit on 2016-9-15 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I'm not sure why you don't think my explanation is sufficient. It's simple and it makes sense.

Put a kid who's never heard of Star Wars in a room watching Empire Strikes Back on loop for a week.
After the week is finished open the door and ask him what Vader says.

If he says "No" you are correct, if he says "Luke" I am correct. If he runs we're in prison.

I think that's our difference here, although it's very easy to misunderstand people's views on this so I could very well be wrong.
I'm just looking for an answer that I can't argue against. My last attempt is the Mandolia thread. We are actually on the same side.

edit on 15-9-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Well I havent experienced the Mandela effect

And since I have seen no-one else say who became South Africas president in 1994 if it wasnt Mandela, I have never come across enyone else who has experienced it.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

As a New Zelander, I always wonder why people remember NZ there .... our weather is NOT tropical (the far north does not get very cold but its not tropical), yet if we were in that part of the map, we sure would be, and our sheep and cattle industry would not be what it currently is
Let alone the ski industry existing...

edit on 15-9-2016 by Noinden because: sneezed and sent by mistake

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Put a kid who's never heard of Star Wars in a room watching Empire Strikes Back on loop for a week.
After the week is finished ask him what Vader says.

If he says "No" you are correct, if he says "Luke" I am correct.

I think that's our difference here.

That's not how incorrect reinforcement like this works. That would be more likely to reinforce the correct information since there would be so many back-to-back showings that you'd be more apt to remember the correct content, ESPECIALLY if you are quized on it immediately following the watchings.

No if you want to do a formal test, you'd find a kid, make him watch Empire a few times then let him grow up into an adult THEN ask him what he remembers. Then repeat that test for a bunch of other kids as a control and for statistical sampling reasons. And I'm sure that would still be a flawed test and not taking into account all the variables.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join