It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone NOT experienced the Mandela Effect?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Has anyone never gone "Hmmmmm, I'm sure it was X"

Sure, we've all done that. I mean, who hasn't? But we haven't "all experienced the Mandela Effect".

ME is an internet meme created by journalist, Fiona Broome, in 2010.

Trying to rationally break it down is like trying to catch sand in a sieve.

The idea of 'time streams/timelines' is an ad hoc theory designed to prevent ME from being falsified.

It also means it can't be verified.

All you are going to get is some people who believe it, while the rest of us don't.

Let's move on from this madness.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I've experienced having a faulty memory of things in my past...

...But, no -- Not the Mandela Effect.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Being from Tennessee, I always assumed it was lack of education. Half of the population here never made it out of grade school. As far as the spelling of certain things, I was never surprised to see I had been taught to pronounce and spell things wrong. Other than that, I have not.
edit on 14-9-2016 by Morbidmolly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morbidmolly
Being from Tennessee, I always assumed it was lack of education. Half of the population here never made it out of grade school. As far as the spelling of certain things, I was never surprised to see I had been taught to pronounce and spell things wrong. Other than that, I have not.

It's usually a case of faulty memory rather than poor education, but it could also be the case that something is incorrectly taught as being fact, thus the "false fact" is remembered by the many people who were incorrectly taught that fact.

Another cause could be an incorrect rumor that is spread around as being fact, and thus the incorrect rumor is remembered as being a false fact. An example of this would be the rumor that was being spread around YEARS ago (in 1982) that actor Abe Vigoda had died, but was untrue at the time (he actually did die in 2016). That 1982 rumor began as an incorrectly reported story by "People" magazine. The magazine quickly retracted the story, but it was too late -- other news outlets had picked up on the "People magazine" story and began repeating it, and too many people heard the story of his death being repeated -- far fewer than the people who heard the retraction of the incorrect story.

Therefore, when Abe Vigoda did pass away in 2016, there were a relatively large number of people who said "Hmmm...I remember him dying years ago".

In the case of Nelson Mandela, I think the misremembrance of his death was actually all of the stories that circulated in the media in late 1980s about his continued imprisonment and frailty (relatively frail for being a 70+ year-old imprisoned man), and his 1990 release from prison, and mistakenly remember (30 years after the fact) that past media hype of his relatively frail health as being stories of his death.

Or maybe they remember that he left office as South Africa's President in 1999, and mistakenly remember that "retirement" as being his death.

edit on 2016-9-14 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Experienced and Wife so has all nearly all Family in different cities and states accept one.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
You should refute THAT first and make sure your brain isn't lying to you before continuing down the Mandela Effect line of thought. Not the other way around. You aren't right first and science needs to prove you wrong.

You have no idea what my thoughts on the ME are. I think I gave a good explanation here.

I'm trying to reach a sufficient answer which leads me to your explanation.

Look. Our brains don't work like computer hard drives. We don't learn something then store it as is for later recall in our brains. We learn things through repetition. So if you repeatably reinforce the wrong information, you will recall the wrong information. This is how the Mandela Effect happens to people.

That is not a good explanation.
No one is repeatably reinforcing wrong information. I haven't watched an alternate cut of Empire Strikes Back all my life. I've never read a book called Interview with a Vampire, I've never read a Berenstein Bears book and I've never seen footage of JFK shot in a 4 seater.

Your explanation is easy to prove wrong. That doesn't mean that ghosts and goblins are responsible for it, it means there isn't a sufficient answer put forward to cover it which is what I'm trying to do.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
As another poster pointed out, everyone has had an experience of mis-remembering. How does one differentiate between a faulty memory and the Mandela Effect?

That's the main question to answer I think.
We need to be able to pinpoint the process in the brain which causes it.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Here you go. Let a qualified person explain memories to you.

edit on 1492016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

*raises hand*

No sir, not once.

I've experienced poor memory, and owned that, but I am apparently from this timeline/universe, and missing out on this Mandella effect thing. I am rather upset about this....

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yes I've experienced Mandela Effect

I posted a nice heart fealt message in another ME thread, When I came back is was gone.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79
Cheers for that, it was very interesting however I'm not sure anything she said is that relevant to ME's.

She did mention that memories are "reconstructive" which is the best explanation for ME's however the processes she discusses seems to more related to how people's memories can be affected by outside influences.

I think ME's are simply caused by an internal auto correction process, a good example of which being...

THINK YOU YOU CAN'T BE FOOLED

If there is anyone out there who has not experienced what is classed as an ME then my theory is busted.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

The whole issue with memory is, every time you recall it, you overwrite it with what you recall.

Now, that sounds like a photocopier, right? Wrong. Here's the issue.

When you, say, watch a film. You don't always pick up on every single detail. You see a car chase you might focus on the cars, people shooting and the words spoken, but it's very likely you didn't notice what number the house was that the cars drove past or how many street lights there were. When you try and recall that "feature" your brain is actually filling in gaps with (partly) your own imagination.

And now you've overwritten your previous memory with this new one, even though it's based purely on what your brain filled in.

And that's the basis of the "faulty memory" argument against the ME.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Did you actually read what I posted?

The reason people keep believing all the crap about ME's is because people keep giving poor explanations for it.

And that is a poor explanation as it doesn't explain the similarities.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

It's only a "poor explanation" because it takes away the "specialness" that the ME believers desire.

Remembering something wrong - faulty memory

Getting the location of a country wrong - bad knowledge/education

Getting internal organs and bone structure wrong - bad knowledge/education

There's nothing special about the explanations, they are what they are.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Hmmm, should I take it from that response that you aren't reading what I'm posting?

You didn't tell me how it explains why many people remember the same wrong thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Why do many people remember the same thing? Simple. The Internet.

People who think something used to be something else (bears names, logos, bones, whatever) can now search for other people who have made the same mistake. So now, instead of trying to learn the real place of the heart, logos, whatever, they latch onto a made up effect.

That would be called confirmation bias. Just look at every single ME thread on here and you'll notice the same confirmation bias in progress. You'll also notice how not every "ME'r" agrees on every single wrong thing.
edit on 1492016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
OK, let's follow this through.

Berenstain Bears. Not exactly a staple of pop culture, and I read them before the internet.
When I was asked I spelled it confidently and incorrectly without any direct influence.

How can that be?

If it's a case of bad memory there should be Berrenstyne, Bearanstine, Bareenstein etc.

If it's just an example of our brains auto-correcting as I believe, then that explains why the majority of people will spell it Berenstein with confidence.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I've found a few that seemed questionable but I feel it's rather not remembering them right. These such as, The deaths of well known people, Nelson Mandala, being reported dead-then not, which it was named after. Berenstain Bears was initially one. One I've seen as of late was Niagara, which having been there before could have sworn it was Niagra, but perhaps that was because how people had pronounced it.

I've ranted against ME being a "go to safe topic", I don't hate it but so far it falls along the lines of Nibiru when it comes to CT topics. All the while, yes it could have some interesting aspects, more Sci Fi for now, than anything.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

It really is just our brains filling in gaps or as you put it, auto correcting.

And, believe it or not,it is influenced by pop culture, to a degree.

Think about it for a minute. How many names do you know or heard of that end in stain? Now do the same for stein. You might say none, but you'll find a lot more names if you google "names ending in stein" than you would "names ending in stain".

Also, it's a single letter. How many times have people typed something wrong by just a letter? I know I've done it plenty of times. e and a are both circular letters too. It's a pretty easy mistake.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake
You're absolutely right. This isn't a conspiracy or even Sci Fi as SciFi is usually researched and plausible.

It's just a good example of how our brain works.
An inconsequential side effect of our extremely efficient brains.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join