It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Intelligence: Could You Love a Robot?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Popular theory states that all emotions are merely the brain's chemical and electrical responses to perceived stimuli.

Imagine this scenario:
You have found the man/woman of your dreams. He/she is faithful, caring, attractive, loving, whatever - everything that you ever wanted in a partner. You live with this person happily for ten years. And then you discover that your dream guy/girl is actually an android with very advanced, yet still simulated emotions and coded responses. You were the first in an android-human emotional interaction experiment. Will knowing this change your feelings? Will you suddenly feel nothing? Will you upgrade to the next model with the exact same programming but better warranty if given the choice? We all love our cars, but when that shiny new model comes out with better fuel injection and the sleek bodywork, well...

Another scenario:
You are lonely and never had a stable, loving relationship. Then a new humanoid robot comes on the market. This android will be everything that you ever desired, emotionally and physically. Would you buy one? Would you ever be able to love "him/her"? If your neighbor ran him/her with their car, would you feel the loss of a loved one or that of a possession, knowing that you can always buy another one?

Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Popular theory states that all emotions are merely the brain's chemical and electrical responses to perceived stimuli.

Imagine this scenario:
You have found the man/woman of your dreams. He/she is faithful, caring, attractive, loving, whatever - everything that you ever wanted in a partner. You live with this person happily for ten years. And then you discover that your dream guy/girl is actually an android with very advanced, yet still simulated emotions and coded responses. You were the first in an android-human emotional interaction experiment. Will knowing this change your feelings? Will you suddenly feel nothing? Will you upgrade to the next model with the exact same programming but better warranty if given the choice? We all love our cars, but when that shiny new model comes out with better fuel injection and the sleek bodywork, well...

I think the 'love' part of this question would depend on the person. I don't personally think that the robot could 'love' you, which is a requirement for a true, loving relationship.

Of course, with that said, my understanding is that an advanced AI, such as you speak of, would probably be able to learn, grow, and develop.
Therefore, no upgrade could compete with the memories of your current AI, nor would it have grown over the years along with you.

If you were seeking companionship and not just a machine to do certain tasks, I don't think upgrading would be an improvement.

Another scenario:
You are lonely and never had a stable, loving relationship. Then a new humanoid robot comes on the market. This android will be everything that you ever desired, emotionally and physically. Would you buy one? Would you ever be able to love "him/her"? If your neighbor ran him/her with their car, would you feel the loss of a loved one or that of a possession, knowing that you can always buy another one?

Again, this would depend on the person - depending on the reasons why someone has never had a 'stable, loving relationship', it's entirely possible that any 'pleasure-bot' or 'love-bot' would do the trick.

Of course, I'm basing all of this on what i've read in sci-fi novels and seen in sci-fi movies, so....

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Could i buy maybe a dozen of these androids? I think most would learn to love the android, seeing as how people love their pets to the point they love them as much as a child. so i don't see it as impossible. I'm going to say maybe

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Let me spend about ten years with one and then ask. Until that happens i'm really not sure what the response would be.

I mean, would I have to defrag its hard drive and run spyware removal and maybe do a clean install when it gets cluttered to the point i'm ready to start over? I have to do that on my pc and quite frankly, i'd feel a bit odd doing it to someting that, well, I might be in a freaky relationship with.

Lots of implications to consider here.

Oh where to begin writing the rules.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think I can love a android if it were like a dog or a companion on that level. Perhaps even be best friends with one maybe. If a good AI robot was to be a wife figure or a child figure I don't think I could do that. My wife, my kids I'd give my life for. That's the kind of love I give them. I would never be able to do that with a artificial life form.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think you could maybe, perhaps not as girl/guy but consider, folk make children of cats n dogs, so imagine if you could have an android child? not hard to see that happening for folk who cant have kids, or maybe a child android modeled on a deceased human child? The movie AI was quite an intresting concept, as was the one with Robin williams .

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The thing with the movie AI and with some of the answers here is that in that scenario you know beforehand that it's an android. In that case you can compare it to loving a pet perhaps, because you have foreknowledge of the non-human nature of the "subject" of your affections. I wonder though, if, despite this knowledge, you could find yourself unwittingly feeling a "human to human" connection with him/her/it, particularly since the android could communicate and interact with you on an emotional level that no animal can, no matter how affectionate.

More interesting is the other scenario where only after having established love for the android do you then discover that he/she is not human. By then it's too late. How would you feel? It would seem impossible for you to instantly stop loving him/her as your life partner. You'd feel betrayed, a little, maybe. But you couldn't blame the android itself.

I guess we're getting to the point where you have to ask the unanswerable: What is love? If it's purely brain responses to what another being provides you with; acceptance, joy, affection, protection, whatever, then I'd say it's definitely possible to love an android, assuming that "it" can interact with you as a human would.

Originally posted by quango
If you were seeking companionship and not just a machine to do certain tasks, I don't think upgrading would be an improvement.

Perhaps, because you would be attached to the manner in which that particular android/being interacts with you. If your "partner" got a glitch that threatened it's memories or it's well-being, then it would be the same as having a human partner that became ill or developed Alzheimer's Disease.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Only if she loves me back

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
If the robot did dishes, cleaned house and cut the grass, I could love it. And, don't forget paint the house and wash windows.

I'd put my order in tomorrow!

For warm and fuzzy love, I'll keep my husband.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
its a bit hard to theorise on results of being surprised after the fact. How could you live with the android for ten years and Not know in the first place? without much deliberate deception, even then, hard to swallow, they dont eat, surely youd notice? It would have to virtually BE human not to notice, i.e have all basic human function including urination/defecation/eating/drinking/sweating/body odour etc and then would it matter anyway?
Not to mention if it was your husband/android
you might wonder why there were no children coming along? If they could even do that and have such human emotional responses that you couldnt tell, then to all intents they are human.

[edit on 093131p://06019 by instar]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I remember knowing a gentleman a couple of years ago that fell in love with this girl, moved in with her, lived together for six months and then found out it was a DUDE!!!!!!!!! I'm not kidding either, all i can say is the guy ended up pretty F-uped in the head, by the time i met him ,he was living in a homeless shelter, and wasn't exactly living on planet earth. He said he was in love though, that he didn't care. Anyways my point is i could see alot of people moving past the fact that the Bot aint a real person, but it that would only be on the surface, deep down inside you would probably have all sorts of confusing emotions for a long time.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Humans are basically Biological computers, I see no reason what so ever as to why AIs cannot "Love" another AI/Person or vise versa. The computer code will have to "evolve" quite a bit, but I really see no reason why it won't happen. Allthough I'm sure people will have ethical problems about this saying they aren't alive because they were created by us to learn and grow from experiance and trail and error(isn't that what us Biologicals do too when we learn just about .... everything hmm?
) and thus by that faulty logic(the They were created by US part
) they have no "soul". Right now the "Evolving" AI Algorithims in use today do not have the capacity for self determination let alone emotions, self-aware AI's will probably be here no earlier then 2020 and no later then 2050. AI's with emotions however is alot harder to predict as I do not know much about the Theoretical work being done today.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar...It would have to...have all basic human function including uination/defecation/eating/drinking/sweating/body odour etc and then would it matter anyway?...If they could even do that and have such human emotional responses that you couldnt tell, then to all intents they are human.

Good point. I didn't consider the bodily functions aspects to such a detailed level.
But as you say, with all the physical and emotional asptects recreated accurately, he/she would for all intensive purposes be human. Which also raises the question that if someone killed the android, would they be guilty of murder, or destruction of property?

Originally posted by bornlazy
Anyways my point is i could see alot of people moving past the fact that the Bot aint a real person, but it that would only be on the surface, deep down inside you would probably have all sorts of confusing emotions for a long time.

Right. You would have to make some sort of definition in your heart as to what the android means to you, and whether it really mattered what he/she really is. Still, it would definitely mess with your head and your heart big time. Especially knowing that the emotions and responses exhibited by your partner were all programmed. I imagine you'd be doing some serious research into the technology to find out if the behaviour patterns and responses were automated to any extent, or if they were entirely learned and developed. You'd need to know that those aspects were learned and developed as a result of interactions with you in order to feel that they were real at all.

[edit on 2005/1/21 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bordnlazy
I remember knowing a gentleman a couple of years ago that fell in love with this girl, moved in with her, lived together for six months and then found out it was a DUDE!!!!!!!!! I'm not kidding either, all i can say is the guy ended up pretty F-uped in the head, by the time i met him ,he was living in a homeless shelter, and wasn't exactly living on planet earth. He said he was in love though, that he didn't care. Anyways my point is i could see alot of people moving past the fact that the Bot aint a real person, but it that would only be on the surface, deep down inside you would probably have all sorts of confusing emotions for a long time.

"La la la la LOLA"!
sorry, couldnt resist!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Ahhh but imagine these lovers and lawn mowers and dish washers as the ultimate spyware. They can be downloaded and your most intimate secrets can become known to any government agency that highjacks them, or any hacker for that matter.

Knowing that they are just a machine that records your every word, could you ever trust one? Without trust there is no love.

Love and light,

wupy

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Dude, if she looked and acted like the one on SciFi's Battlestar Galactica, you bet I could and would.

seekerof

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ever heard about Cateris Parbous? Basically all it says is that one thing at a time. It is usually applied in economics, but I think it is relevant here too.

First let us develop android technology and then we shall move toward the feelings and emotions of them and us toward them.

I hate to discourage you, but the possibility of this happening is very very low in our life time, even in our grandson's lifetime.

Surf

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Dude, if she looked and acted like the one on SciFi's Battlestar Galactica, you bet I could and would.

seekerof

Or how bout that Android from Andromeda.... both of em(you'll know what I'm talking about if you've seen the 5th season...its improved quite alot btw, still corny as every though heh)

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a gf with a mute feture I am all for it!!!! lol
really tho I dont think I could love an android it would just be an imitation besides love goes deeper then some shell you love a person for their quallities and faults

but for those who are just looking for a toy so to speak or those who have the grass is allways greener on the otherside thing going and cant hold a relationship this should serve well.

I am shure there are people that can probly fall in love with something like this as there people into some stranger things.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I think the "Would you have sex with a robot?" question is a no-brainer, particularly judging by some responses :lol, but just to clarify, I'm not talking about a pimply Star Trek fan's sex-bot fantasy. I'm talking about a being that isn't human, or even living by conventional standards, yet had all the semblence of a human regarding emotion and social interaction, and the ability or inability to fall in love with it.

But I'm all for the mute function too.

[edit on 2005/1/21 by wecomeinpeace]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join