It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Geometry of Thought: Moments, Choices and Motivations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
(I am continuing to do research and explore these ideas. Please read my recent threads if you want more on this topic.)

If you represent a frozen moment of time with a dot, you can connect two of those dots with a line, and this line represents the flow of time. I believe we (our collected being / soul) experience this whole line as a moment. And that would mean a few things: Our thoughts are higher-dimensional in origin, or we would not be able to perceive a change in time or even time. This could indicate a quantum theory of mind.

The fact that we are able to experience a moment, or a change in time, does add credence to the multiverse theory (Wikipedia: Many Worlds) as an explanation to quantum physics.

Here is a drawing I drew a while back showing the branching timelines. Timelines branch out whenever a choice is made.

On this drawing, a dot on one of the timelines represents a frozen moment in time. If that dot happens to be on a vertix, it is the exact moment a choice is made. After that, at lease two different timelines emerge, one for each choice.

We have motivations: that means that we are able to perceive a possible future and then make the right (hopefully) choices to get there. Does non-life, like water or a rock, have the ability to have motivations? Or is that unique to living matter?

One thing we have to consider is that even a virus seems to have motivations. So do bacteria. So the explanation wouldn't be easily explained by a quantum theory of mind, unless it explains how a cell's mind works as well. But if cells and such have motivations, there could be other explanations, specifically evolution.

What is of interest is that we are able to think and perceive for ourselves what a motivation looks like first-hand. We are able to perceive what it is like to make a choice, and what it is like to experience a moment. This means our soul has to be higher dimensional, or else it would not be able to experience these things.

When we experience a choice, we project prospective outcomes in our minds using models and then weight the benefits and consequences of each choice. A moment is experiencing the changes between two frozen moments in a meaningful way.

Thanks for reading, I hope that makes some sense.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Thought is the tool with which the spirit uses to manifest the world around us. Our creation began with a thought.....

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This..

A moment is experiencing the changes between two frozen moments in a meaningful way.

..and.. i like the track you are on: motivation..choices. that which makes up those moments.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Our thoughts are higher-dimensional in origin, or we would not be able to perceive a change in time or even time.

Could you explain this a different way. I'm very interested, but cannot resolve how you arrived at the conclusion you did. (FYI: I did follow your thinking about the dots & line representing a moment. I just can't seem to grasp how you got to this statement above, from that concept.)

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Well I can say it another way - since we are able to make choices, that separates us from non-life. I'm saying we can experience a moment, but a rock cannot.
edit on 13pmTue, 13 Sep 2016 21:59:32 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Well I can say it another way - since we are able to make choices, that separates us from non-life. I'm saying we can experience a moment, but a rock cannot.

Oh, I get that part. What I don't get is why experiencing a moment/time necessarily means our thoughts are higher dimensional in origin. (I'd like to believe that they are, I just don't follow the logic that concludes that they are.)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Well there is one theory of mind called Orchestrated objective reduction (Orch-OR) that says that there are quantum processes that exist in neurons and that this causes thought as opposed to interactions between neurons.

I wonder if they can work together to create fields of thought. I need to research this more. If there are quantum fields or quantum processes, and the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum physics is true, then it could give these fields or processes special abilities, specifically change their perception.

Good question, I'm still thinking about it. My quick answer is that it depends on two theories being correct, one about neurology explaining thought and one about quantum physics explaining strange quantum oddities.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but since you brought up the notion of a collected being/soul in the OP, I feel this thread adresses both the fields of spirituality/religion and science.

So, if multiple timelines emerge all the time, do you think the soul multiplies itself to experience it all at once? If so, wouldn't that somewhat negate some aspects of certain religions/belief systems, such as Karma and the "Salvation of the Soul"?
I mean...what would be the use of putting on effort to have positive karma, or having my soul saved, if the other versions of me could just go berserk and start a killing spree, ruining it all for us? After all, we would just be the same soul experiencing different timelines, no?

If you follow any spiritual belief/faith/religion, what are your thoughts on this?
edit on 14/9/2016 by Raven_Heart because: spaces

edit on 14/9/2016 by Raven_Heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

thought comes from your brain,what's two frown mints in time?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Raven_Heart

Okay first I want to say that the theories my theory is based on are not proven yet. Next, let's talk about what you said.

I think that although we can make choices, we can only experience one reality at a time. Therefore, you have to think, if you kill someone do you want to live with the consequences? I'm not saying we have the ability to do magic and blink our way to another timeline.

There is something bigger than our soul that experiences all of the realities at once, true. Let me draw you another diagram.

So in this diagram, our soul would be able to experience a certain amount of time on the timeline at once depending on circumstances. Right now, I am relaxed and not making many choices so my moment is longer than someone who is under inspection by a drill sergeant.

However, we are not magicians (unless there are ways to unlock spiritual enlightenment and enhance our senses) and therefore we really have to suffer the consequences of what we've done, forever (at least until we die).

It still remains a question what happens to us when we die? Also, are there other souls that are traveling our various lives, too? Or is there only one soul per life? After we die, do we experience another round of our own life, or do we go live someone else's life? This depends on the rules of the multiverse, I don't know.

One simple way to look at it is that we start to be aware of our surroundings somewhere between conception and birth and then when we die we aren't aware of our surroundings, anymore. That would probably be the scientific (but not proven) neutral territory. The rest depends on what you think the rules for the afterlife are. I'm unresolved myself.
edit on 14pmWed, 14 Sep 2016 16:15:54 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think that even if thoughts are originated by the forces of this universe, the mechanics still allow us to experience higher dimensions.
edit on 14pmWed, 14 Sep 2016 16:33:17 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Before many-worlds, reality had always been viewed as a single unfolding history. Many-worlds, however, views reality as a many-branched tree, wherein every possible quantum outcome is realised.[12] Many-worlds reconciles the observation of non-deterministic events, such as random radioactive decay, with the fully deterministic equations of quantum physics.

Wikipedia: Many-Worlds Interpretation

I guess most of what I'm saying is already mainstream physics (although one of several mainstream theories).

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I see...the multiverse theory, even if proven to be true, would leave us with more questions than answers, for sure. Thanks for the answer.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Raven_Heart

Interestingly enough, it is possible for matter to evolve into life when exposed to radiation. I would like to look into that theory more. But my point is even if we did evolve from matter through various lifespans the fact that we are able to see time flowing around us means that our thoughts are of a higher dimension than 3 or 4. Somehow, the forces of evolution figured out a way to make the human mind perceive time flow and higher dimensions.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

If a dot is frozen then the line is frozen, a line is merely a series of dots

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ssenerawa

That is true, but not if you are a dot moving along the line.

top topics

join