It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far can you drive on empty?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
In the 10 years I've been driving I have never run out of gas. Not even when I was 16 with a 1987 Trans Am with a 305ci engine, a worn-out Quadrajet carburetor, $30/week paycheck $4/ gallon gas, and a lead foot. I've come close but never actually run out.

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
As of today, I've had my License for 4 years. I've never ran out of gas completely. My 2013 Chevy Spark (I don't recommend it but its got the job done for me so far, albeit barely) has a Gas tank logo that lights up I believe around 50 miles. Then, once my digital thing tells me I have 25 miles left, it starts flashing EMPTY. So I know if its flashing EMPTY i've got to high tail it to the gas station.

-Alee

I have a 2012 Chevy Sonic that does practically the same thing. Once the gauge says empty and the light comes on, there should be about 2 gallons left and so around 50 miles before you're truly empty. I don't know how you stand the Spark though. I had one as a loaner when my Sonic was getting worked on at the dealership once. It was all that thing could do to go 55mph up the hump of the bridges around here with it floored.

That, and I could turn around and touch the rear glass from the drivers seat. Imagine how frightened I was on my way home from the dealership in that little Micromachine, I hadn't even been in the thing for 5 minutes when some minivan from VA in front of me decides all of the sudden that they want to stop by a Sunsations tourist beach shop, they slam on brakes, I slam on brakes, and the jacked-up old Toyota with giant tires behind me has to swerve off the road to keep from running over me. I'm glad he was paying attention because there wouldn't have been much left of that car if he hadn't.
edit on 13-9-2016 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Most manufacturers include this information in the owner's manual. There are variations, but vehicles are generally set up to run a typical safe distance at average speed after the light comes on.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

2007 Pontiac G6 when the eat # and walk light comes on I still around 20 miles or so, never actually ran out in it but that is about as far as I have even pushed it.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Ive run out of gas a couple times in my life. Way back in the early 80s when I was 17 my buddy and I spur of the moment drove from Michigan to Chicago to visit my brother and some friends. Went to a party one night, driving back to bro's place got lost. Pulled over on side of road in kind of a desolate industrial area, got stuck in the mud. Ran out of gas trying to get out. So we started walking, we are lost, guy picks us up and offers a ride home. We drove for an hour or more until we recognized some landmarks.

Next morning brother says we 'll go get your car where is it???? I say I dont know we were lost....

Looked for that car for 3 days and took Amtrack home.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

So you not only ran out of gas, but you lost the entire car. That's great. I'm sure it sucked at the time though, but at least you've got a funny story to tell now.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

So you not only ran out of gas, but you lost the entire car. That's great. I'm sure it sucked at the time though, but at least you've got a funny story to tell now.

Yeah it is funny now. for years my brother would tell me about friends from there asking if we ever found it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join