It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The end of AdBlock plus.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
When I visit a website, I go there to view the contents of that website. I don't go to view ads that have nothing to do with the content of that website. If I want to view ads, there are countless places scattered across the net specifically for that.

Granted, there are websites that attempt to be as honorable and as respectable as possible when it comes to advertising. But many don't. As long as there continues to be unwanted pop-up ads, ads that play audio or video without authorization, ads that contain malware or worse, and hidden ads that force you to click on them when trying to simply login (wink wink), then there will always be ad blockers, whether the name is AdBlock Plus or not.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i got to say i love south park them guys usually hit the head on the nail. ats and most other sites i have seen with out an adblocker are almost impossible to use why because ads on the net are not like ones in newspapers . if you cross one with your cursor it will open wide and start redirecting your page off what you want to look at and send you to there product page. and no they are not a necessary evil they are a way for webmasters to make money plain an simple how do you think mark zuckerberg became a billionaire by hard work hell no he took facebook users info and sold it to advertizers don't belive me type something you normally don't use into facebook search then look in your email you will noticce alsorts of ads for that stuff.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I hate ads. Always have.

It doesn't matter if they're on billboards, in magazines, on TV, on websites, etc. I HATE them, even though I understand they have a purpose ($).

Online, I always use an adblocker. Lately, I've seen websites I occasionally visit have actually restricted access because of having an adblocker enabled. The (website generated) popup is: turn off the blocker or pay for an ad-lite version or you won't see any content. My response: Screw you, I just won't visit your site any longer (not that one person matters).

On mobile, it's equally annoying as hell. I can deal with an ad banner at the top or bottom, but when I am in the middle of reading an article and a FULL PAGE ad pops up? Screw you and your website.

Not to mention the absolute BLOAT by which all the media plus the ads drain one's system.

Screw ads.

a reply to: _BoneZ_

As long as there continues to be unwanted pop-up ads, ads that play audio or video without authorization, ads that contain malware or worse, and hidden ads that force you to click on them when trying to simply login

This too.

edit on 23-10-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I usually tolerate ads. I am not happy about them, but I realize that it is a way to get some money for the people making and running websites. It is annoying when they interfer with my navigation and posting on this site.
However, it is somewhat funny, reading this thread and noticing first an ad about joining the British Army and then, right above, another telling me how all the most beautiful girls are apparently in Russia.

I am conflicted.

Clearly, the creators of these ads do not know much about the sites they are placing their ads in.
That's the beginning of at least one conspiracy theory right there...

What? Am I being primed to join the British Army and ... er.. go to Russia? Are there invasions plans in the making?

On a more serious note, I vastly prefer ads that are clearly ads, rather than ads pretending to be journalism...
That's when I begin to stab angrily at the keyboard...

BT
edit on 7-11-2016 by beetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

They've been doing it for a while now , as long as I don't have to pay a subscription I don't deny them the right to make some money.
It isn't the end of ABP.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

It´s not news, it´s been known for quiet some time. There were several threads on ATS about that, just saying.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

They can put whitelists with the download all they like, but I for one will just delete it all. My own filters are heavily customised; no website is allowed to use scripts, XML requests, third-party images, even fonts, unless I explicitly whitelist them. That's how it stays on my browser, so if AdBlock release a new version which stops me from having the control I have with the current one, then I for one won’t be using it. I could care less if they vet a few companies and get paid for whitelisting them, as long as I can modify it as I wish.

Another similar case to this might have been AdAware; they were getting paid to ignore some stuff and experts eventually stopped recommending it, so it probably hit their pockets.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join