It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Can Obama suspend 2016 elections?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
Wrong.

State of emergency -
A government or division of government (i.e. on a municipal, provincial/state level) may declare that an area is in a state of emergency. This means that the government can suspend and/or change some functions of the executive, the legislative and/or the judiciary during this period of time. It alerts citizens to change their normal behavior and orders government agencies to implement emergency plans. A government can declare a state of emergency during a time of natural or human-made disaster (Riots), during a period of civil unrest(BLM), or following a declaration of war or situation of international/internal armed conflict. (BLM)

edit on 13-9-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act allows the government to freeze assets, limit trade and confiscate property in response to an "unusual and extraordinary threat" (BLM) to the United States. more than thirty emergencies under the IEEPA remain active regarding various subjects, Another ongoing national emergency, declared after the September 11 attacks, authorizes the president to retain or reactivate military personnel beyond their normal term of service.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Martial law

The imposition of the highest-ranking military officer(Obama) as the military governor or as the head of the government, thus removing all power from the previous executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government. It is usually imposed temporarily when the government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively (BLM) (e.g., maintain order and security, or provide essential services).

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The Suspension Clause of the United States Constitution specifically included the English common law procedure in Article One, Section 9, clause 2, which demands that "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion(BLM) or invasion(BLM,ISIS) the public safety may require it."

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Prominent ‘Black Lives Matter’ activist and rapper Tef Poe has a message for “white people”: If Donald Trump wins the presidency, “####as” will ‘incite riots everywhere’.

March, 16 2016

“Dear white people if Trump wins young ####as such as myself are fully hell bent on inciting riots everywhere we go. Just so you know,” Poe tweeted today. March 16 2016

So I'll go out on a limb and say obama could anytime he felt like it

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ssenerawa

Copy/pasting from Wikipedia is pretty weak, especially when you don't even state that you're copying and pasting from Wikipedia.

Obama would have to demonstrate that local civilian authorities had lost control of whatever area they happened to be. No act gives the president the authority to dissolve the congress, which he would have to do to put an end to term limits.

And please. Quoting somebody about what they say they're going to do AFTER Trump wins, if he does, bolsters your argument how? How exactly could Obama keep Trump from taking office at that point? Now there's a president elect and an inauguration in two months. You seriously believe Obama could appear on November 15th and say "hey Trump won so like martial law and uhhh I'm not leaving in January either" and that would actually work?

Loosen your tin foil.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I was replying to an earlier poster that didn't think it was possible because of a current law, when in fact laws can be suspended with the acts listed above and many more.

I was quoting the BLM leader/activist because Hillary isn't looking to well, and you have to see how easily these laws can be enacted given the current state of things

Sorry Im on my iPhone, everything I posted is well researchable

BLM activist/leader tweet

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
For all those posting the President cannot please read up on
1)Martial Law
2) Continuity of Government
3) Suspension of the Constitution

Here is one example:

The Suspension Clause of the United States Constitution specifically included the English common law procedure in Article One, Section 9, clause 2, which demands that "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it."

Brought to you by Google.
Google em

Article 1 has to do with the powers of Congress. Which means if it were to happen, it wouldn't originate with the President. It would have to pass both the House and Senate.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So, I guess we're going to have the paranoid election suspension conversation before every election, aren't we? Sigh... Eventually that conversation ceases to have any value. If you're one of the people concerned about this... Just know, this concern pops up every election... and one day you too will yawn when it's brought up. The only thing that would make this conversation valid is if the president himself was expressing the idea... but it never comes from the President... It's always from the distrusting opposition.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
The only way Obama can get a third term is to modify the 22nd amendment and I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Even if we elected a new potus / vpotus and something occurs that render them unable to serve (death etc) the Constitution would still prevent Obama from remaining on as President. Since there are no term limits on Vice President I could see it being possible for him to remain as President until new elections are held / Congress acts.

I would think this is where continuity of government would come in. After the Vice President you would have the Speaker of the House, President pro tempore of the Senate and then we would move into he Cabinet secretaries starting with the Secretary of State.

I think term limits are absolute. If the President and VP elect were to die, when Obama's term runs out, I don't think he could hold it even temporarily. It would go to third in line. I'm also not 100% sure on this, but I think that if Obama were to somehow get a position after the presidency that puts him in the line of succession, and it came up... it would simply skip over him.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I was curious ,given the creative obfuscation of law we've seen, if they would actually go for BILL.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Not saying whether you think it would work, I'm saying as the laws are currently in place, and the current state he can do so if he pleases.

Also it's not an instantaneous thing, theres months in between the process where an elected POTUS is exchanged to the current sitting POTUS.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

No i'm not tin-foil every election, just this one. This one is different

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

I was curious ,given the creative obfuscation of law we've seen, if they would actually go for BILL.

The only way Bill Clinton could be President again, is if Hillary gets into power, and then behind the scenes she just does everything he says. Or we get into another Woodrow Wilson situation, and Bill starts telling the cabinet "what Hillary said to do".

Neither of those seem very likely, though as nothing more than a what if I'm somewhat interested in the constitutionality of it.

originally posted by: ssenerawa
a reply to: spiritualzombie

No i'm not tin-foil every election, just this one. This one is different

No, it's really not. This is honestly, the most boring, least important election we've had in the past 50 years. Once you take away the spin we're left with two candidates that are historically identical on policy.

Mark my words, when the entertainment value of The Apprentice: President edition is forgotten and we're looking back on the options we had. No one is going to see different directions the nation could have gone.
edit on 13-9-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Are elections supposed to be fun? It's boring?

Given if either two of these people get into office there will be riots and rebellion.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Yet another reason to maintain proof of life,so politics can't hide it.
I don't think any political martial law will even be noticed if he tried,its not done.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: Metallicus
What makes you think he wouldn't like to?

Why would he want to? When he retires he can sleep in, do what he wants to, spend time with his family etc.

The guy doesn't give a crap about the Constitution or due process.

Any evidence to back that claim up?

He already does all of that , and more !

What makes you think he doesn't want too ?? All kinds of people with BILLIONS of dollars continue to work like madmen and you saying this guy is different ???

Ya different as in he has spent less time working and more time golfing than anyone else !

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ssenerawa

Are elections supposed to be fun? It's boring?

Given if either two of these people get into office there will be riots and rebellion.

Politics should be boring. That's why CSpan is a good channel. When things are boring, people are emotionally disconnected and can make more rational decisions. When you hype something up, or worse when you turn it into a reality show then emotions take over and reason gets left behind.

The media has turned politics into hollywood for ugly people. It's not something that happened with this election, but this election is the most recent example of it.

Also, I seriously doubt there will be riots or rebellion with either candidate. Have you noticed how few bumper stickers, campaign shirts, yard signs, and so on there are for both sides? No one cares about either one, the only excitement is getting hyped over whatever team a person is siding with... they couldn't care less about the actual candidates.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
the sought for... private, civilian army, secretly amassed by #44 are just waiting for the word sent by the radical Clergy at the Friday Prayer, a certain Fatwa to be issued at certain Mosques starting the hidden ISIS platoons from the Syrian Refugee resettlement cities all around the lower 48 States to : Start-the-Summer-of-Chaos, hinder elections, set up Sharia enclaves... (the 'transformation' begins & the Legislative Branch will not swear in new members on 3 Jan. '2017
nor 20 Jan. 2017 for the new POTUS to do an Oath of Office)

There are no Sharia enclaves in the USA. There never will be. Show me one. I'll go there, film it and prove you wrong.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join